Can I Buy A Car In My Name?

Neeranam

Anyone done this?

I did it about fifteen years ago but it seems that since the '97 economic crisis it's pretty difficult to get any kind of loan as a foreigner. I bought my current vehicles through finance companies but they are registered in my company name rather than my own (with me as the guarantor).

I got a loan 50% down, no thai guarantor and registered in my name. I think at the end of the day it depends on the finance company. Get the dealer to call them and ask, rather than take there word that it can't be done (they seem to be lazy to do any footwork to get a sale here!)

The finance company I use is GE Capital.

I got a loan 50% down, no thai guarantor and registered in my name. I think at the end of the day it depends on the finance company. Get the dealer to call them and ask, rather than take there word that it can't be done (they seem to be lazy to do any footwork to get a sale here!)

I managed 30% down but don't have a wp hence they insisted on a Thai's name....

Did you have to produce a wp ?

I found it difficult to do independently without using my wife's name or another thai with suitable credit worthiness. So ended up paying cash.

It is a difficult process as the dealers dont seem interested in selling you the car, it almost seemed you have to beg them to sell it to you.

Neeranam, I've heard recently that Honda is doing finance for foreigners, might be worth a try.

I found easy to do with Toyota. Needed a work permit. 50% down, letter and pay stub from work but from there it was easy. The usual credit forms and such. Car in my name. no guarantor or Thai involved. The dealer salesperson very helpful. Took time but all worked out.

> I was told that the insurance premiums would be higher if the cars were

> in the name of a non-Thai.

Guess you were told wrong. :o

Note that if there's a Thai guarantor, that person is really taking on the risk of the loan and will lose his property if you default on the loan. So having a Thai guarantor, either a person or a company, doesn't really count because it's them bearing full responsibiity for the loan.

I managed 30% down but don't have a wp hence they insisted on a Thai's name....

Did you have to produce a wp ?

Yeah I had to produce a work permit. I guess that gives them some sense of security