Longstay Travel Insurance For Los With M/C Accident Cover

nitnoymoy

Hi,looking for pointers for longstay(6 months+) travel insurance with cover for accidents on a motorcycle at a reasonable price,I do not have a uk m/c licence but a thai one.I found GAP 24/7 £146.30 for a 190 day trip but on reading the small print you need a uk m/c license,which is not simple to get these days.

I, too, am looking into insurances. First off, I have no experience so I am no expert. But what about getting personal accident insurance for motorbikes from a Thai company? Is this in outrageous, unrealistic thought?

And how long of a stay would merit getting Thai health insurance? I'm from the US, and we don't have state insurance (yet). So i'm not worrying about US insurance + international/traveler's insurance + motorbike accident coverage, just looking at getting Thai health + personal accident.

Could a less-expensive, viable alternative for the OP be Thai health insurance and personal accident insurance? I guess it would depend on the OP's age/health conditions. OP, could you include some details to help aid in getting you a better solution?

Edited by DerekAbroad

I, too, am looking into insurances. First off, I have no experience so I am no expert. But what about getting personal accident insurance for motorbikes from a Thai company? Is this in outrageous, unrealistic thought?

And how long of a stay would merit getting Thai health insurance? I'm from the US, and we don't have state insurance (yet). So i'm not worrying about US insurance + international/traveler's insurance + motorbike accident coverage, just looking at getting Thai health + personal accident.

Could a less-expensive, viable alternative for the OP be Thai health insurance and personal accident insurance? I guess it would depend on the OP's age/health conditions. OP, could you include some details to help aid in getting you a better solution?

Hi DerickAbroad,thanks for advice I,m aged 52 years,good health,thinking of doing uk bike test if I must, as not planning to go back LOS till octoberish,but looking for other options Edited by nitnoymoy

I use World First long stay and backpacker insurance policy....a years cover is <£300 depending on which options u take on baggage etc but the medical policy covers u for £10 million and includes motorcycle accident cover for up to 125cc...had occasion to use them myself after an accident and they were first class and paid out no problem

http://www.world-first.co.uk/?gclid=CL2C1e_ylLECFcUa6wodnFSMeg

I come to Thailand each winter for 4 months. I shop around for insurance each year as the prices change wildly. Last winter I got 1-stop Travel Insurance (AXA) for £102. I have a few medical issues and I'm in my 60's. The policy insures me for bike riding on public roads for any size of bike providing I have a UK licence covering that size of bike. Seems a common requirement. I ride a 1200cc BMW both in the UK and in Thailand. I wish you luck if you are thinking of taking a bike test in the UK. I passed my test in 1965. It was dead easy then!

Don't rely on Thai helmets if you want to be safe. They are cheap and mostly rubbish. They may satisfy the insurance requirements to wear a safety helmet but that's no consolation if your head is stoved in. I bring my BMW helmet out with me each trip (along with my boots, jacket, trousers and gloves). My Thai neighbours always have a laugh as I climb on my bike dressed like a spaceman but as even a low speed tumble can mean seriously grazed limbs and the potential for some nasty infections, it's just not worth the risk.

• Like 1

I use World First long stay and backpacker insurance policy....a years cover is <£300 depending on which options u take on baggage etc but the medical policy covers u for £10 million and includes motorcycle accident cover for up to 125cc...had occasion to use them myself after an accident and they were first class and paid out no problem

http://www.world-fir...CFcUa6wodnFSMeg

I had a quote for 'non-UK residents and you must be under 64!!