Uk National Never Wired Money To Thailand. Advice Pls

I am British. I have a Nationwide account in UK. I am now in Thailand and need to send some money over.

I want to wire about 6000 pounds.

Can I instruct my bank from here? Should I online transfer to friend's account?

Hmm I just want to get a good exchange rate and not be screwed.

Any help pls.

I have bank account here in a 100% trusted Thai friend.

Not sure about your bank but should be possible to instruct transfer from here, you may need to fax the instruction to someone. First , if you don't have one , open a savings account here , should be easy. Next remember to transfer in sterling to Thailand you will always always get a much better baht rate here than anywhere outside thailand never never allow an overseas bank to do a baht exchange for you. In my experience the major Thai banks play pretty fair on For Ex transfers and if you do as per above you will get a reasonable rate and certainly much better than you would get at foreign exchange booth either in Thailand or in the uk.

Edited by wordchild

You can SWIFT transfer the cash over from your NW account into your or friends Thai account will cost 25 GBP for NW and a small fee this end depends who you bank with here. If you have internet banking You can do the swift payment online usually takes upto 24 hours to arrive depending on what time you made the transfer save for weekends and Bank Hols when it takes longer.

Transfer in Sterling for best rates.

Edited by Tafia

I have had past experience with Nationwide. You can download a foreign currency transfer form from their website. Thats the good news...however after completing and signing it you have to deliver the original to them either by post or by hand in branch. No..a fax, or email copy will not do. So the earliest you will receive money in Thailand is approx 7 working days..ie 1 week for your form to arrive by post and another 2 working days for the Swift transfer. Good luck...one reason I moved to Halifax.

I have had past experience with Nationwide. You can download a foreign currency transfer form from their website. Thats the good news...however after completing and signing it you have to deliver the original to them either by post or by hand in branch. No..a fax, or email copy will not do. So the earliest you will receive money in Thailand is approx 7 working days..ie 1 week for your form to arrive by post and another 2 working days for the Swift transfer. Good luck...one reason I moved to Halifax.

if you have not set up a security system and you want to trans to a third party your going to have a problem,if you are well known at your bank and know the staff to talk to they might help,if i was you i would open your own bank acc.in thailand unless you are trans.to a gf.or bf.i had the same problem as the above poster.

Open a Bangkok bank account, transfer the money from Nationwide to Bangkok Bank UK in LONDON, they'll pass it to your Thai acount , cost you 20GBP and you get the exchange rate on the day of arrival in Thailand.

Because you are moving money within the UK you should have no problem doing it all online.

Swift transfers can be done online.

I think you need a "card reading" machine to be able to complete an online transfer from Nationwide to a foreign account. If you do not have the machine then you will have to print out a form and post it to the UK in order for the transaction to take place, they do not accept fax or email for this process.

I think you need a "card reading" machine to be able to complete an online transfer from Nationwide to a foreign account. If you do not have the machine then you will have to print out a form and post it to the UK in order for the transaction to take place, they do not accept fax or email for this process.

Correct

I assumed he would have one as I was issued one when I opened the account.

Edited by Tafia

The Natwest charges are over £20 and take up to 5 days so I transfer money to my daughters Halifax account she then does an online international transfer to my scb account at a cost of £9.50 and it has always been in my account within 72 hours it arrives in Sterling and I get the current rate of that day

The Natwest charges are over £20 and take up to 5 days so I transfer money to my daughters Halifax account she then does an online international transfer to my scb account at a cost of £9.50 and it has always been in my account within 72 hours it arrives in Sterling and I get the current rate of that day

Correct about the charge (25 Quid) but the OP is asking about the Nationwide not Nat West

N.Wide transfers cash within 24 hours, I Swift cash thro NW to Kasikorn almost monthly never taken longer than 24 hrs unless weekend or Bank holiday

Edited by Tafia