Chiang Mai Rescue Who Will Pick Me Up Off The Pavement?

Mapguy

This news article appeared recently in City News:

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=513.0

It leads to a rather bloody Facebook page maintained by Chiang Mai Rescue (that is definitely not for the faint of heart but should be visited by every motorcyclist), but that aside, it prompts interest in the vital need for effective emergency response, particularly for road accidents and for life-threatening conditions, such as cardiac arrest or stroke. The article raises a lot of questions.

Some anecdotes about personal experience might be useful. But more than that: Does Thailand have a "Good Samaritan Law?" in addition to Buddhist belief in "making merit?" Who indeed is involved? Who is responsible? Who pays for what? What hospitals are involved? What happens if something goes wrong?

Hmmmmmmmmmm! One response in 24 hours!

Seems too grim a topic to explore ?!

The link you posted does not seem to lead to anything relevant, but perhaps there would be more responses if you clarified what you are asking about? It is not perfectly clear to me I'm afraid, but if you are asking if somebody will come to help you if you fall down, certainly my limited anecdotal experience indicates so. Last time was a couple of months ago around Chang Puak when I eventually noticed that the reason I was stuck in traffic was due to a farang laying on the road with a bunch of Thai people around, assisting as best they could. While I did not think there would be much I could do to help medical wise, I pulled over just in case my entourage or I should be able to assist language wise, seeing there were no other farangs around.

As far as I gathered from the people there, a car had done a hit and run, but they had managed to get the license number of the car involved. They had already called for an ambulance and shortly thereafter the ambulance, and also a policeman on a motorbike, arrived. While the paramedics had somewhat quaint and obviously hand-made contraptions to help the victim with what looked like amongst other problems a broken ankle, the paramedics also obviously had some training, contrary to what one could be led to believe from reading posts on thaivisa.

The ambulance would take him Suan Dok they said. Not sure how long it took the ambulance to get there, but doubt it could have been much more than 10 minutes. A couple, apparently living or having some sort of shop right next to where the victim was laying were also trying to procure some details from him regarding where he had rented his motorbike and were staying, so they could let them know.

So fortunately it seems the friendly Thai people in CM will still come to ones aid in circumstances like that, and be quite a bit more helpful than I would expect if something similar were to happen in my own western country.

Edited by Awk

The URL is http://www.chiangmai...news.php?id=513

I was a bit amazed by the content and the message of this article and I was not able to reply because I do not have a Facebook account, which, I think, you need to leave a comment on City News Chiang Mai.

The article gives us the impression that the so called paramedics with their old pick-ups with oversized engines do a good job, every night again, without being paid. What a good boys and girls!

Two quotes:

"They are the guys, and girls, much like paramedics, that are the first people on the scene of an accident,..."

"He explains what happens when he arrives at the site of an accident: “First we check the victim’s vital signs, we apply first aid if necessary, and then call the hospital."

Hey, let's not be too naive. As everywhere it is all about money.

Here the man MAY have forgotten to mention one thing: First thing they do is stripping the victim of all his/her valuables, money, gold, watch, passport, etc.. And that is why their pick-up trucks have an oversized engine: They have to be on the spot as the first one.

A friend of mine has seen it about a month ago. She told the police who arrived at the scene of an accident minutes after the "paramedics" what she witnessed and the "rescue worker" was arrested on the spot.

In general, get real. No one is working for nothing night after night after night after night.

Edited by Amoeba

The URL is http://www.chiangmai...news.php?id=513

I was a bit amazed by the content and the message of this article and I was not able to reply because I do not have a Facebook account, which, I think, you need to leave a comment on City News Chiang Mai.

The article gives us the impression that the so called paramedics with their old pick-ups with oversized engines do a good job, every night again, without being paid. What a good boys and girls!

Two quotes:

"They are the guys, and girls, much like paramedics, that are the first people on the scene of an accident,..."

"He explains what happens when he arrives at the site of an accident: “First we check the victim’s vital signs, we apply first aid if necessary, and then call the hospital."

Hey, let's not be too naive. As everywhere it is all about money.

Here the man MAY have forgotten to mention one thing: First thing they do is stripping the victim of all his/her valuables, money, gold, watch, passport, etc.. And that is why their pick-up trucks have an oversized engine: They have to be on the spot as the first one.

A friend of mine has seen it about a month ago. She told the police who arrived at the scene of an accident minutes after the "paramedics" what she witnessed and the "rescue worker" was arrested on the spot.

In general, get real. No one is working for nothing night after night after night after night.

Interesting article.

It maintains that there are 87 teams working together to respond to accidents and crimes all for free.

Some how I have a hard time believing there are that many teams sitting around waiting to respond. Who notifies them?

Yes I am sure some of them do strip the bodies of valuables but there is no way in hell here is enough accidents by people with lots of cash and valuables to make it worth while. Most of the victims are Thais with very little.

Also to make it profitable they would have to be the first on the scene. How many times is it the police who are the first on the scene and then call the emergency rescue service. Also if they are dead could concivably be the person who called it in who took any valuables.

I do not doubt for a minute that it does not happen. From personal experience I have seen it happen in Canada. And they were not volunteers first on the scene. The police were there and they had to tow the vehicle out of the water before they could get to the body.

It does happen but I believe that there truly are many Thais who volunteer there time for free as they do honestly care.

Seems strange how people are so anxious to jump to and believe every negative thing they here about Thais.

Seems strange how people are so anxious to jump to and believe every negative thing they here about Thais.

My friend who witnessed it all is a Thai women.

So no farang who is so anxious to jump to and believe every negative thing they (say) here about Thais.

My friend who witnessed it all is a Thai women.

So no farang who is so anxious to jump to and believe every negative thing they (say) here about Thais.

sorry but you are not a Thai and the following quote from your post I take it was written by you.

"Hey, let's not be too naive. As everywhere it is all about money.

Here the man MAY have forgotten to mention one thing: First thing they do is stripping the victim of all his/her valuables, money, gold, watch, passport, etc.. And that is why their pick-up trucks have an oversized engine: They have to be on the spot as the first one."

Don't see much allowing for any thing positive there.

As I say I have first hand knowledge of it happening in Canada but I do not accuse all Canadians of it. Or for that matter even say it is a common practice in Canada.

Link doesn't link anywhere relevant.

Good samaritan laws are important in countries with f*#cked up legal systems that allow frivolous lawsuits for the most inane occurrences.

Humble apologies! Try reaching the article by going to:

Picking up the Pieces: an interview with the Chiang Mai Rescue Team

Edited by Mapguy

The weird apart about getting assistance after an accident from a Thai here is that they would expect to be paid later on for rendering the assistance or driving you to the hospital. Something that would be an obvious favor in many other countries.

The weird apart about getting assistance after an accident from a Thai here is that they would expect to be paid later on for rendering the assistance or driving you to the hospital. Something that would be an obvious favor in many other countries.

Agreed, and seen it happen too.... I have also seen a foreigner helping a Thai and saw the other way round, the Thai tries to make the foreigner responsible.... (hope it's not the whole population though)

Mind you. I have heard it happen thai on thai to....

Edited by wildpikey

In North America you pay for ambulance services. Any one who just picks up a accident victim and puts him in the car is taking the chance of killing them. Properly done a accident victim is not allowed to turn his head because he might have a broken neck. I was tought that in really basic first aid one day course. When I had my accident I was about 45 minutes from a hospital and a witness held my head until the ambulance got there and I was still not allowed to move it until the doctors got me into the hospital and had the proper equipment. Fortunately for me my neck was not broken but the l5 was.

I can only tell you all that that were no 'Good Samartans' around yesterday evening when I was walking home from the resort. Just me and the mutts! and since they only have 1 percent IQ... not a lot of good to me. Thank you St. Jude. Mapguy - my apologies.... you have always been a good and wise source of counsel. No offence meant.

Not sure, Gladiator, what the apology is for! Mai phen rai, in any case!

I just dredged the topic up from the TV trash heap. I do continue to have concern about this matter. Is there such a lack of concern or experience in the community with accidents and who comes to the rescue?! I suppose that is good news!

Otherwise, I find the article a bit frivolous and lacking in depth. I am not paranoid, but I really wonder how such situations are handled. Pretty serious when sh*t happens!

For ghouls looking for gore, you can just check out the pictures on the web site. You'll never again ride a bike without a helmet on your noggin.

Edited by Mapguy