Phuket Immigration Office - The Non-O Adventure. Episode: "Ashamed To Be Thai"

I have had the same problem with Phuket immigration officers, namely a bunch of arrogant numbskulls. The last time I went to renew my retirement "Visa" I also had a new passport so I took both along to show them. The small runt then said I would need to pay him 500 baht extra because I had 2 passports, and I refused to do so, saying politely that this was not what I understood the case to be.

From there on in it was all downhill for me. I had all of the correct documentation and the letter from the bank stating that my 800k had been safely in the bank for 3 months, complete with a printout for that time. However he asked for copies of my bank book going back for 12 months!!

I suggested that this was not needed and he curtly replied that I should shut up and listen to what he was saying and that was what he wanted. I had to go back home to Patong to get the book and get the copies he wanted. This of course took some time and I managed to see him again in the afternoon and he had me going up and down the steps, on 5 separate occasions, to the copy room underneath for various copies of anything that took his fancy just to show that he could do it. None of which by the way I have ever been asked for before.

I was determined that I was not going to be beaten by this idiot so I did everything he wanted and eventually got my extension of stay and a multiple entry visa. The whole episode would have taken the best part of a day.

It would probably have been so different had I paid him his 500 baht "incentive".

I have absolutely no respect for this bunch of idiots, apart from one gentleman issuing the re-entry visas, and dread returning to this hotbed of corruption............... I say corruption because on many occasions I have seen "the plain envelope" being slipped to the officers and surreptitiously put into a drawer.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear of your problems. One person's experience, I guess.

Having been to the Phuket IO now over 10 times in the past 2 years, I have never encountered any of the issues you've experienced.

Is it efficient? Well, I am typically in and out with my approvals in 15 minutes but I always have my paperwork perfect. How do i do that? I phone first and of course research or ask questions on TV.

Bad attitude - just smiles from most of the personnel and sometimes an especially efficient officer who says nothing.

Everything you mention sounds like a different office to me. Strange.

To those who hold everyone at immigration in contempt but smile and act polite notwithstanding, maybe your fake attitude is not as good a ruse as you think it is.

Why would anyone visit IO 10 times in 2 years? You must be applying for a different visa. I've never had problems with TR or B visa, however this Marriage visa requires different docs, different rules, different IO officers (the 3 back rows, at counters 4,5,6) and apparently, they not like us to marry a decent Thai lady, and work here, instead of taking them back to our countries... As said before, my papers had been prepared all according to a list they had given me before. Not in 2-fold but even 3-fold, with some additional papers and photo's of our house.

Besides that, why would they treat the farang Immigration Officers so badly? Dismiss the with disrespectful hand-gestures. This was one of the this that shocked my wife. These people are trying to help(!), are older than the Thai officers, yet not seem to get any respect.

I suggested that this was not needed and he curtly replied that I should shut up and listen to what he was saying and that was what he wanted. I had to go back home to Patong to get the book and get the copies he wanted. This of course took some time and I managed to see him again in the afternoon and he had me going up and down the steps, on 5 separate occasions, to the copy room underneath for various copies of anything that took his fancy just to show that he could do it. None of which by the way I have ever been asked for before.

Exactly what I have experienced. The last time they told me I needed another paper, I had a question about another type of visa, and they bluntly refused to talk to me anymore, I had to get this paper first. The farang Immigration Officer tried to ask the question then on my behalf (it was a valid question, while I am at the IO, I try to get some info for my other colleagues), and he was told to go away and not bother the Officer anymore.

I must say, of the 4 Officers, one seemed to be a nice bloke. He was the only one with just 2 strips instead of 3. Guess what? He had been elected employee of the month for the last 6 months :)

Besides that, why would they treat the farang Immigration Officers so badly? Dismiss the with disrespectful hand-gestures. This was one of the this that shocked my wife. These people are trying to help(!), are older than the Thai officers, yet not seem to get any respect.

Am not sure who you are talking about but there are no "farang Immigration Officers". Immigration officers are Thai Police. Perhaps they have some farang volunteers that help answer questions and provide guidance?

Simon,

Judging by your post it would seem that it is you who needs to make a serious attitude adjustment !

I have been renewing my extension to stay for some years now at the Phuket Immigration Office. I have never been treated with anything but courtesy by the I immigration officers and by choosing my time of attendance with care can be sure of spending no longer than 15 minutes in the office.

I have, however witnessed, many rude and arrogant foreigners who's behaviour, were I an Immigration Officer, would result in my being very angry!

Simon,

Judging by your post it would seem that it is you who needs to make a serious attitude adjustment !

I have been renewing my extension to stay for some years now at the Phuket Immigration Office. I have never been treated with anything but courtesy by the I immigration officers and by choosing my time of attendance with care can be sure of spending no longer than 15 minutes in the office.

I have, however witnessed, many rude and arrogant foreigners who's behaviour, were I an Immigration Officer, would result in my being very angry!

Sorry but I have been very polite whilst waiting there. It is afterwards, reflecting on the things, that made me annoyed. Your judgement is way off. You do not know me, I am maybe too kind and gentle, according to my friends.That may be why they think they can take the mickey out of me? It would also not explain why others were also met with a disrespectful attitude (as described in my other posts in this thread).

Choosing time, can you please advise what time is the best? I tried 09.15, 10:45, 13:00 and 13:45. I could not see any difference in attitudes, except that early morning it is more quiet. I am open to suggestions.

@lopburi3, yes, they were volunteers indeed.

Why would anyone visit IO 10 times in 2 years?

I guess a lot of people.

If you have not left the country and your 90 day reports do not align with your extension dates then in 2 years there would be 8 x 90 day address reports and 2 x 1 year extension applications, makes 10.

Having been to the Phuket IO now over 10 times in the past 2 years, I have never encountered any of the issues you've experienced.

Is it efficient? Well, I am typically in and out with my approvals in 15 minutes but I always have my paperwork perfect. How do i do that? I phone first and of course research or ask questions on TV.

Bad attitude - just smiles from most of the personnel and sometimes an especially efficient officer who says nothing.

To those who hold everyone at immigration in contempt but smile and act polite notwithstanding, maybe your fake attitude is not as good a ruse as you think it is.

Why would anyone visit IO 10 times in 2 years? You must be applying for a different visa. I've never had problems with TR or B visa, however this Marriage visa requires different docs, different rules, different IO officers (the 3 back rows, at counters 4,5,6) and apparently, they not like us to marry a decent Thai lady, and work here, instead of taking them back to our countries... As said before, my papers had been prepared all according to a list they had given me before. Not in 2-fold but even 3-fold, with some additional papers and photo's of our house.

I had a number of visitor extensions, retirement app, extensions, reporting in, etc. = 10 visits.

Again, yours is one person's experience and I am not saying anything other than my personal experiences are the exact opposite of yours i.e. another person's experience.

I've also never been ripped off by a tuk tuk or jetski operator, never been treated rudely (with or without my Thai lady) or ever felt threatened while living here in Phuket for 2 years.

I forgot to mention that the Brit / Aussie IO volunteers are very helpful and they have guided me a number of times with my paperwork (on the phone), spoken to the immigration officers and placed me in the right "line". i have never detected anything other than a spirit of co-operation between the volunteers and the IO staff.

I agree the paperwork can be a bit daunting but that's why there is a website called ThaiVisa!

I hope things improve for you and your wife in future.

• Like 1

The first time you apply for an extension might be frustrating. Once you know what they want the next years will be much easier. I have seen much more rude farangs in the immigration offices that rude officers. Sometimes the rules are stupid, the immigration officers are not responsible for this.

These yahoos in Phuket are a corporation all of its own. Completely separate from BKK bosses. These guys make their own rules, and yes, I know this SGT Major. I know many stories about him and the others. That office needs a cleaning pretty badly.

Nong Khai is the same way. Rude, arrogrant, and spiteful. I guess they want us to come in walking on our knees.

Regards to NK IO, an insane psycho in female I Officer – [properly let out from there b-cos of seriously mental problem, & bought an police certificate to become an IO officer to not bother them more over there]

She went ballistic for 15 min. [standing in front of me] called me a lot of shit word in Thai…I only smiled…and she really exploded, and disappeared forever. Her reason was accordantly to another IO, was I was on last day of my O visa extension, my defense was waiting for my Scandinavian embassy to issue my pension letter. They took over a month to do that, and I got the letter the same day as extension expired. 8 years ago – beer export time – bye bye

Edited by DtemJai

You are confusing visas with extensions of stay - you already have the visa entry and a permitted to stay from that entry - now you want to extend that stay (nothing to do with visas) for one year on basis of Thai wife. For that you will need the normal financial proof of 40k per month income or 400k in bank for two months, marriage certificate/copy, copy of marriage ledger entry (current), wife and her ID card and home register, if children there birth certificates, photos in and outside home, map to home, some proof of living there (rent/bills or such), copy of your passport/visa/permitted to stay/departure card and perhaps witness to verify your living together and other paperwork. This with the TM.7 application, 4x6cm photo and 1,900 baht fee obtains an under review of 4-6 weeks before the final one year stamp is made. This is done each year with same general paperwork. During year you must report address every 90 days if you do not exit Thailand. If you do travel you must obtain a re-entry permit first.

Now, that is an explanation I understand, and correctly describes what I am trying to achieve. Of course I have all papers you mentioned, even in 3-fold..., yet that was not enough. I do realize that it is at the officers discretion and they are entitled to ask for additional documentation.

I smile friendly, wai high, dress politely, be as humble as I can, and am almost willing to bent over for them. Yet, inside I despise these arrogant fools and will sincerely smile if something terrible should happen to them.

I guess you are entitled to your opinion - but you do not show much character with your ending remarks - despite your problems (some of which you have contributed to yourself). To minimize problems in future, all I can recommend is that you keep in mind 2 things:

- visit your Immigration office next year, in advance of your renewal anniversary and enquire if here have been any changes in the documentary requirements.

- make a note of the exact current documentary requirements,which are as follows (to the best of my knowledge):

1. financial proof: which is

A. 40k per month income (Embassy certified letter) or

B. your bank's letter certifying your balance at bank together with photocopies of your bank book, showing 400k in bank for 2 ( I understand that it was 3 ?) months. Note: to be careful about the date of the bank's letter certifying your balance at bank. You can get turned away (I did - because it was dated the day before I went in to renew - which was tricky, as i live 120 km from the Immigration Office!)

2. marriage certificate/copy, copy of marriage ledger entry (current), wife and her ID card and home register, (Tambien Baan)

and, if children their birth certificates,

3. photos showing you all, both in and outside home,

4. map of where your home is located in your district, showing postal address

5. some proof of living there (rent/bills or such), preferably a receipt from a quasi-government agency, such as PEA (electric) or Telephone/Internet; which should show your name and the home address.

6. copy of your passport/visa/permitted to stay/departure card

7. a signed copy of a Thai national's ID card (i would imagine, not your wife's)

8. a signed copy of the Thai national's Tambien Baan

9. and perhaps other paperwork, depending on theImmigration Office/Officer you are dealing with.

everyone says good luck - after 17 years here, with a farang wife, I believe that you have to make your luck.

Edited by paddypower

These yahoos in Phuket are a corporation all of its own. Completely separate from BKK bosses. These guys make their own rules, and yes, I know this SGT Major. I know many stories about him and the others. That office needs a cleaning pretty badly.

Looks like you got your wish, Many of the officers are replaced during the lat 5 months. Two new SGT officers, two new Captain officers and one new SGT Major. Unfortunately one of the friendliest officers is going with retirement next September.

1. for marriage the seasoning period is 2 months.

Phuket immigration only excepts the 2 months seasoning for the first extension and 3 months for the consecutive extensions. ( Marriage and retirement )

The Op needs to brush up on the rules of the extension of stay he wants and stop confuseing the IOs by asking questions that donot pertain to what he wants. It only took several post to figure out what he needed. Yes the immigration officers can be diffcult on ocassion but would you want their job but it is in our best intrest to understand the rules and know what we want and supply all of the correct info.

Best of luck to the OP hope it all works out for you

I have had the same problem with Phuket immigration officers, namely a bunch of arrogant numbskulls. The last time I went to renew my retirement "Visa" I also had a new passport so I took both along to show them. The small runt then said I would need to pay him 500 baht extra because I had 2 passports, and I refused to do so, saying politely that this was not what I understood the case to be.

From there on in it was all downhill for me. I had all of the correct documentation and the letter from the bank stating that my 800k had been safely in the bank for 3 months, complete with a printout for that time. However he asked for copies of my bank book going back for 12 months!!

I was determined that I was not going to be beaten by this idiot so I did everything he wanted and eventually got my extension of stay and a multiple entry visa. The whole episode would have taken the best part of a day.

It would probably have been so different had I paid him his 500 baht "incentive".

I have absolutely no respect for this bunch of idiots, apart from one gentleman issuing the re-entry visas, and dread returning to this hotbed of corruption............... I say corruption because on many occasions I have seen "the plain envelope" being slipped to the officers and surreptitiously put into a drawer.

Is it really easier the 2nd time/subsequent time around for the marriage extension at the immigration office? Or do they expect all the requirements every year? I understand that everyone's milleage can vary, perhaps as much as opening a bank account. At the same time though, one can do a lot of things with 400,000 baht. Is the extension process worth it (as opposed to multiple entry xx visa) if you have the cashflow?

Edited by 4evermaat

It is the same requirement each year although some items may not be as closely checked. Multi entry visa requires exit of country every 90 days or less - so may fit those that travel often better than extensions of stay.

Remember that the extension of your visa is at the discretion of the individual officer and I have been told on many occasions before they can ask for extreme things from you if they have had a bad day.

There's the rub. Elsewhere the decision falls to the Home Secretary who ensures everyone toes the line.