O Visa Through Condo Ownership

I have a non-immigrant, multi-entry O VISA which I renew each year by returning to the UK and sending my passport to the Cardiff Embassy to get a new one year VISA. Was wandering if I am being stupid and there is an easier way to do this? Also the date to be utilized before is 16 November 2012. Does this mean I can renew it for 3 months past this date when the current VISA has run out i.e. 16 February? Also would it be too risky to send my passport to the UK where I have someone renew it for me by sending it to Cardiff then posting back to Thailand. Sounds hugely risky to me to tell the truth....

I don't want to push things. Each time I send it to the Embassy in Cardiff I speak to them and they seem dubious about whether I should be allowed it or not. I show them papers for my condo (sukhumvit) and show bank statements of money being sent to my Siam Commercial Bank Account.

Hmmm.

Maybe you've been lucky getting multi-O visas for reasons of condo ownership as that isn't a usually accepted reason. Owning a condo in Thailand does not give residency rights. I wouldn't count on that method working for you indefinitely

Don't send your passport out like that. Illegal. Your passport needs to show entries and exits, etc.

Are you over 50? If so, retirement extensions. If not, how about studying Thai 4 hours a week with the education visa?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Thought as much with posting the passport. Easy for them to check and see I haven't exited since my last entry to Thailand.

Will keep trying my luck with the condo ownership gig. I think it maybe seen as some form of business but as you say I won't bank on it. Long way to go to 50 so the ed VISA is my best bet.

Any idea on the date of my VISA? Will that cover me to 3 months after the expiration date or will I be on a tourist VISA from here on? Planning a trip to UK in April which is quite a bit from November...

Yes, if you leave and re-enter on or before the 16th Nov you will get another 90 days stay.

15th is the maximum, if the OP tries to come the 16th visa won't valid(enter before the day written on the visa).

Good to know that Cardiff Thai consulate is issueing non-o visa based on owning a condo in Thailand. I know by experience that most consulates do not issue Non-o visa unless you are married to a Thai woman or have a Thai child. FYI Brisbane consulate also will issue non-o visa based on owning a condo in Thailand. Glad I don't have to worry about this anymore as I am now qualified for a retirement visa.

I do not believe any Consulate will issue on basis of condo ownership anymore - some did in the past but believe it has ceased - but could be wrong.

Believe entry on Nov 16 would be allowed (before the end of the 16th seems to be the meaning). You can not travel/return once that date has passed however. Have not seen any reports in last years of immigration blocking use on last visa indicated day - prior to then they might question but normally did allow use.

I do not believe any Consulate will issue on basis of condo ownership anymore - some did in the past but believe it has ceased - but could be wrong.

I got mine from Brisbane - but this was a little over a year ago. Any update from anyone whose been to Brsbane consulate recently?

I got mine at Cardiff last November (as expiration date). The 1st time was no problem. The second time he did sound dubious when I phoned but told me to send it anyway. I posted it from Northern Ireland. If I was there in person it may have been different.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has sent out a notice that tightened up the rules on getting an o-visa.

Suggest you contact Cardiff before trying to get a new visa (same for Brisbane poster).

Edited by ubonjoe

Yes, if you leave and re-enter on or before the 16th Nov you will get another 90 days stay.

15th is the maximum, if the OP tries to come the 16th visa won't valid(enter before the day written on the visa).

I have entered Thailand on the last date my O visa was valid, on a few occasions and always got another 90 days.

Speaking from experience.