I Need Help With Putting Content...Books,Music,Magazines On My New Ipad

ericg1953

I have bought a new ipad and want to load some books,music etc so i can enjoy it. I am very weak technically and have no idea how to move forward. . I buy the BKK Post daily and would like to have it available on my ipad as well as having a source to buy books. I also would like to get some of the podcasts that are available.

Any suggestions on how I get started are welcome. I do lack alot of computer skill but can follow a program

Thanks,

Eric

First, unless you jailbreak the iPad, everything you do must go through iTunes.

Loading books and music isn't difficult, as long as you've got it on your computer using iTunes. Open that application, plug in your iPad, and follow the check boxes regarding synching between your computer and iPad. Personally, I don't give it permission to automatically synch but only when I tell it to.

You'll find choices regarding synching with your calendar, notes, contacts (that's not reliable; lots of problems have been discovered in synching contacts), applications that you have specifically for your iPad (everything from AppStore is okay, but if you acquire from other sources, you must jailbreak your iPad). You can choose the books you want to synch from your computer to your iPad, and select albums or individual songs from the list on your computer's iTunes playlists to synch to your Pad.

Hope some of this helps. I discovered that the operating system of the Pads is, although Apple, quite a learning curve from my years of experience using Macintosh computers.

Do you already have some movies and shows? Torrents of stuff waiting for you, if you want to go that route. There are several good apps that can read all kinds of movie media - just look a bit and you will find some free ones. VLC does a good job. Then you can put AVI, .Mov, Mp4 etc etc into your iPad.

You can also download the kindle app for free, and if you do a torrent search just look for kindle books and believe me you will have enough reading material for the next couple lifetimes. If you want to stay legit then just order your books thorough amazon.

For movies -> Torrent; use Handbrake with the iPad preset to convert to iPad format -> Put in your iTunes -> Set iTunes to Sync (some) movies.

For books -> Put them in iTunes, sync them with iPad

For music -> Put it in iTunes, sync

3rd party video players have a lot of issues - it can be slow, choppy, or crash. It's great to have VLC or any of the others in a pinch, but it's much better to convert video to the Apple format. Video formats are complicated so just use Handbrake (free) with the presets. You'll also get much better battery life with the native apps, as movies play back hardware accelerated. VLC and others need to use the CPU to decode video so the iPad gets hotter and doesn't last nearly as long.

It's not that hard once you've got your stuff in iTunes. At that point you could go to any Apple dealer and have them show you how to do it.

Edited by nikster

Do you already have some movies and shows? Torrents of stuff waiting for you, if you want to go that route. There are several good apps that can read all kinds of movie media - just look a bit and you will find some free ones. VLC does a good job. Then you can put AVI, .Mov, Mp4 etc etc into your iPad.

You can also download the kindle app for free, and if you do a torrent search just look for kindle books and believe me you will have enough reading material for the next couple lifetimes. If you want to stay legit then just order your books thorough amazon.

no movies or show...i am more interested in reading material and music....does anyone here get the BKK Post on their portable device? There is a place called newspaperdirect.com that gets a monthly subscription price and gives access to many newpapers..

no movies or show...i am more interested in reading material and music....does anyone here get the BKK Post on their portable device? There is a place called newspaperdirect.com that gets a monthly subscription price and gives access to many newpapers..

I just googled Bangkok Post, Nation UK Guardian etc etc and when the page opened saved the page as a book mark or document or whatever and then put the icon on my desk top so every day can read the papers free of charge without subscribing to a monthly subscription.

I am a complete computer illiterate and just play around with the thing until it works.

I use CineXPlayer to play video; more stable than VLC and seems to play everything. Once installed, you can drop files into via the Apps tab in iTunes and delete from there too. Playback looks and sounds great; no need for fiddling around with conversion with Handbrake etc.

Zinio has some cheap magazine subscriptions (and some expensive ones). You can buy subscriptions via the web or via the app and you are alerted to new issues automatically.

For books, I installed the Kindle app. You can buy ebooks from the store of your choice.

Newspaper direct has an app for the iPad called Press Reader. Go to the app store icon, search for press reader, download (it's free) and voila. Sign in and I think you'll have your existing sub added automatically.

• 1 month later...

Newspaper direct has an app for the iPad called Press Reader. Go to the app store icon, search for press reader, download (it's free) and voila. Sign in and I think you'll have your existing sub added automatically.

I just looked at the press reader app and its not free from what I can gather..perhaps I am incorrect but there was a price list attached