PM Yingluck Defends Bid Process On Flood Projects

webfact

PM defends bid process on flood projects

Piyanart Srivalo,

Prapasri Osathanon

The Nation

30186078-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: - Countering allegations that a Bt350-billion flood and water-management project and its ongoing bidding process lacked transparency, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday she welcomed outside inspection of the plans, adding that the e-auction process had been open to all bidders and terms of reference (TOR) details had been made public.

She repeated a key principle of the government's policy - that foreign companies with expertise in the field were needed for long-term implementation of projects, along with consultancy and policy-making input in the future.

"Spending money [on such companies] will be useful for long-term implementation and integration under overall flood and water management," she said.

The overall management would include linkage of 25 river basins and subsequent construction of relevant infrastructure, including floodways and catchment areas, under the royally advised frameworks and key guidelines designated by a government policy committee, Yingluck said. The bidding process had been inspected by relevant agencies and the winners would be verified according to the regulations, she added.

Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee, responding to allegations made by Opposition Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, said the TOR tender had been widely available and that he was ready to deliver it to Abhisit once he asked for a copy. He accused Abhisit of unfairness in saying that the minister had attempted to hide something in the bidding process, and in Abhisit's call for the government to make public everything relating to the bidding and TOR conditions.

At a makeshift reception desk set up at Government House, bidders from many foreign countries have registered for TOR documents. Members of the press, upon learning from Plodprasob that TOR documents were being made available, received sets in both Thai and English-language versions marked "Press Only".

Updating the progress of the projects, Plodprasob said additional flood-prevention plans had been submitted by the Bangkok city administration, a progress report had been made by the Transport Ministry on the construction of floodwalls, and an anti-flood scenario and simulation conducted by the government committee.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit, speaking during a tour to inspect projects in Pathum Thani yesterday, called on the government to be transparent about the colossal and expensive project at every step. If the government did not handle flood-prevention efforts correctly, there could be massive flooding this year, he said.

"I am worried about all the work not being completed in time, because if the projects are not processed or approved lawfully, they will be under public scrutiny and investigation by relevant agencies, which would lead to disputes and lawsuits at various courts," he said. "The government is playing up large-scale projects, at a cost of more than Bt300 billion, with taxpayers knowing little about them," Abhisit said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-13

well I really hope something will be done quickly as the rainy season is quite strong nowadays otherwise I dont think I can cope with another flood this year ..loosing everything once but not twice ...if it happens again I will move out the country ..

• Like 1

Politicians! K. Abhisit knows well that the THB 350 billion will not be spent to complete projects before the possible flooding this year. Unless the money is in 10 Baht bills and stacked/sealed to form barriers, that is.

Mind you even the projects completed seem to lack details with two months ago someone saying ""Completed projects are being audited and evaluated by universities and their reports will be released soon.""

She repeated a key principle of the government's policy - that foreign companies with expertise in the field were needed for long-term implementation of projects, along with consultancy and policy-making input in the future.

I agree that using foreign-expert work & consultancy is a good idea.

However, the lack of transparency shown by PTP on this subject so far, the large sums of money involved, and of course PTP's own encyclopedic criminal-history, make me feel that there will be a long chain of PTP 'sub-consultants', and friends of sub-consultants, all getting nice 'christmas presents' using state-funds that are intended to save lives and homes.

I once again invite Yingluck and PTP to prove me wrong, by having a transparent and corruption-free flood defense foreign-expert work & consultancy system. I hope that PTP will prove me wrong and get an adequate life-saving flood defense set up as a priority, with no money 'going missing' along the way.

ermm.gif

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 1

I agree that using foreign expert consultancy is a good idea.

However, the lack of transparency shown by PTP on this subject so far, the large sums of money involved, and of course PTP's own encyclopedic criminal-history, make me feel that there will be a long chain of PTP'sub-consultants', and freinds/families of sub-consultants, all getting nice little 'christmas presents' using state-funds that are intended to save lives and homes.

I once again invite Yingluck and PTP to prove me wrong by having a transparent and corruption-free flood defense foreign-expert work & consultancy system. I hope they will prove me wrong and get an adequate life-saving flood defense set up as a priority.

wai.gifwai.gif

Oh where oh where has the flood money gone?

Oh where oh where can it be?

well, we did build some walls. But they're not quite finished yet!

But most probably these are the most expensive walls ever built....

Dry clean only

Dry clean only

At the price, I am sure they are gold plated, so they can't corrode...

As foreign experts Yingluck hired Burberry designer.

I expect you folks who live in Bangkok have noticed the repair and replacement of many "red- bricked" highway medians/middle strips and sidewalks. Or at least over here in western Bangkok I see it occurring in many places. Some areas definitely need repair due to flood damage from last year, but what I find unusual is how they are completely replacing the red brick, which are still in good condition just unleveled/sunken in some places from the floods last year, with "gray-colored" bricks that are about twice as large in diameter but about half the thickness. Just like the red bricks, the new bricks are just layed on a flatten bed of sand and not mortared down or together. The only repair that is really needed is lifting up the red bricks, level the sand bed, and then replace the same bricks which are still perfectly good.

Good they are doing this repair for places where the repair is needed but in many places there is no repair needed...and I expect replacing all red bricks with gray bricks is making some brick-making company really, really rich...and of course making some construction/brick-laying firm(s) rich in doing the labor. Just seems a waste of money, especially for those areas that don't have any damage. Maybe red brick is out of fashion and gray brick is in....or some psychic said red bricks are unlucky and caused the flooding in Bangkok.

• Like 1

Doesn't she look professional on this picture?

Why does your remark sound like that of a trouble maker?

I really hope that your not a foreigner trying to mess up Thai initiative.