Olive Trees

has anyone,

tried,or is growing olive trees, ive seem some here in scotland in the supermarket, i was going to buy a couple to bring home with me, even if i have to cut them down and take them out the pot for the journy home,

jake

My friend you are all over the place.

Generally speaking, Olive trees do not like wet climate. Long ago the king tried to introduce them; it failed.

That said, people also told me I cannot grow dates figs etc, I grew them successfully; eating as we "speak".

Your assignment (should you accept) bring some self pollinating (check the variety) fresh cuttings; I am dying to try growing some.

While you are at it; some bay leaf (Laurus nobilis) seedlings would be great too.

Needles to say, I will share whatever expense you incur.

Best reagrds.

I have been to the Hua Hin vineyard and they grow olives over there,they look a lot like the variety i have seen in Portugal and Spain.

I also know there is a Thai variety and easy to find.

Jake do you have pigeons ?

I think the problem with growing Olive trees in Thailand would not be so much the high rainfall but the drainage issues so if you could plant them in mounds or sloping ground then you may have more success.

The Olive Tree is Olea Europaea but there are many cultivars. Some have developed in environmental weeds here in Australia so choosing the right cultivar is important. A good web site is http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/pest-weed-and-disease-control for info on species and just about everything else you may need to know.

If your olive trees do not produce fruit then you can always use them as hedges or screening plants in your garden. They are terribly hardy once established in the right situation. Can hack into them severely and they will just come back even thicker.

Another thing is perhaps consider finding some tissue culture spp to import or go through the proper procedures to make sure the specimens are not introducing a disease that can cause hurt to the Thai Agriculture or the natural environment. It has it tough enough as it is.

Best of luck with them

• Like 1

i brought an olive tree back from Italy about 4 years ago and planted it in a pot. it grew from about 30cm when i bought it to about 1m high now, so not real fast. i put it in the ground a couple of weeks ago and it seems much happier, its sprouting new leaves like crazy. i doubt it will ever produce olives (i think you need several to pollinate each other) but it looks nice.

by the way i'm in phuket and its been very wet here but not a problem for the tree. also, it never has bug problems, i guess the local bugs don't know what to make of it. my guess is if you could get a lot of trees over here, they would do quite well.

Edited by stevehaigh

I also used to race when i lived in Holland but i find it too hot for the birds here to fly home a few hundred km.

Have a few here now because i love seeing them make their practice rounds around the property,sometimes i do take them out a bit further but only when it is not too hot.

great to here you still have the birds, they do hold a one loft race here in thailand, its based in bangkok,

when i worked in holland i met a fancier from skidam, his name was art brownsmit and he was the top fancier, made me very welcome into him home every sunday to watch the birds come home,

great sport

jake

Sisaket Agricultural College propagate olive trees. If you go into their office reception (on the ring road) you will see jars of olives which they have produced. I acquired one of their trees a few years ago and am hoping to train it over a table area to provide shade, it is currently under a pagoda area. It is slow growing and there has been no sign of fruit, but it is in a crowded and shaded area.

• Like 1

i used to keep pigeons when i was married in england, i was the top racer in my area and used to write for a pigeon weekly magazine, so i just stuck with pigeon jake

My old man was a sign writer by trade. He was introduced to the local pigeon racing clubs in the old West Riding, and he used to produce their certificates for the races. Not much money from his reade though, so he made his living as a painter and decorator.

pigeons used to be a big sport years ago, all my mates had them when we was young, but sadly its a sport the kids now adays dont want to do, not cool,,lol or should that be coo,,,lol,

the club i was in had 37 members now i think its got 5, its a shame,

only thing was with it if you got good at it you couldnt get in other clubs, i treid to join the other club in gainsborough and they wouldnt let me in,,lol

jake

I've tried lots of things from England most fail but I have had successes with some supriseing things I grew cherry tree's a couple of peach tree's from seed though no fruit so far and my fig tree I brought in is doing well though it's still in it's pot on my veranda

Veg wise butter scotch go's bonkers loads of fruit I even used to sell it beetroot grew well and my monster pumpkins where the talk of the village my largest was 24 kilo though they rot really quickly in the rainy season most of the other veg I've tried have failed potatoes grew great up to nearly a mt high then flowered so I dug them thinking I would get a good crop only to find nothing underneath but a couple of marble sized tubers I suspect they grew too quick

• 6 months later...

Anyone know of a supplier of olive tree starts in northern Thailand? .... or anywhere - I'll pay for stock plus shipping. Alternatively, I could trade baby trees. I have several types found nowhere else in SE Asia. Also looking for kiwi starts.

I also used to race when i lived in Holland but i find it too hot for the birds here to fly home a few hundred km.

Have a few here now because i love seeing them make their practice rounds around the property,sometimes i do take them out a bit further but only when it is not too hot.

olive and pigeon pie....now that is an idea.