Where Can I Donate Blood In Pattaya

tropo

Is there a place where I can go to donate blood whenever I choose to?... as opposed to a special blood drive event.

I am guessing , but I think any of the hospitals be happy to get some, or can also contact Thai red cross and ask them

• 1 month later...

Apparently only government hospitals accept blood donations here. Missed my chance today as this service closes at 3pm at Banglamung Hospital. I will try again tomorrow. Does anyone know of a place closer to Pattaya South?

Edited by tropo

How can you have too much blood? The human body only contains around 6 quarts.

Just kidding.......I know your intensions are just good and wanting to donate for good reason.

Just kidding.......I know your intensions are just good and wanting to donate for good reason.

You can have too much blood. It's determined by your hematocrit percentage. Not in blood volume, but too many RBC. A 400ml donation lowers the hematocrit in an average size person by 3%. When hematocrit gets too high the blood becomes too thick and increases the risk of heart attack.

Has anyone at TV ever given blood in Pattaya or elsewhere in Thailand?

I used to be a regular blood donor in Australia, and I would get cross examined under a spot-light by the nurse if I said I had been in a sexual relationship whilst in Thailand since the previous donation. Such an admission usually resulted in the Red Cross refusing my blood on concerns that I may have contracted a blood-borne disease.

Does the Red Cross in Thailand have a similar screening regime? Especially in Pattaya, I would think that particular care would need to be taken as to who is able to donate.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to wrap this one up.

They have a special blood donation room at Banglamung Hospital. It's on the 2nd floor right next to the lab reception office. There's a heart symbol painted on the door. Just go in and they'll take care of you. First you fill out a form - best to have a Thai reader with you to fill this out... then they take 350 ml of blood. They will only do this once every 3 months. When finished they'll give you a chocolate snack, a little bag of iron tablets, an orange soda drink, a donor heart shaped little badge and a card so you'll not have to fill out the paper work next time you go.

They'll accept donations from 8am till 3pm, Monday to Friday.

You can have too much blood. It's determined by your hematocrit percentage. Not in blood volume, but too many RBC. A 400ml donation lowers the hematocrit in an average size person by 3%. When hematocrit gets too high the blood becomes too thick and increases the risk of heart attack.

WOW That is good info really. I never realized that to be honest. Thanks.

PS: Your last post seems you found the place to donate and again more good info for people like yourself.

I have a lot of respect for blood donors, no-one knows when they will need it.

Good on ya OP.

Yes, I reckon it's time for me to give back. I'm alive due to blood donations after a serious motorcycle accident in Australia when I was young, so I have quite a lot to donate still be break even. It's a shame they only let you donate once every 3 months because it could be a couple of years to pay back my debt.

I have a lot of respect for blood donors, no-one knows when they will need it.

Good on ya OP.

Yes, I reckon it's time for me to give back. I'm alive due to blood donations after a serious motorcycle accident in Australia when I was young, so I have quite a lot to donate still be break even. It's a shame they only let you donate once every 3 months because it could be a couple of years to pay back my debt.

Just do what you can and thank you smile.png

• 4 weeks later...

It would be nice, if when you got in an accident or otherwise needed blood, that they would check your donation card, and if you have never donated, then you shall not receive! Sure, there are people that because of medication or sickness or age, that they cannot donate, but for the others, give while you can, then when its your turn to receive, you can do it with a clear conscience.

The Thai Red Cross are having a blood donor event this Wednesday 26th September between 1200 -1400 at Central Festival Pattaya.

Thanks for that. I'll head down there and give some more. I was going to donate at Banglamung hospital again tomorrow, but you've saved me the trouble.

Cheers

Tropo, if you donated a month ago shouldn't you wait the 3 months period before your next

donation?

I used to donate in the UK, and remember being told it was unsafe to donate without a 3

month wait.

That's the general plan, but once I show them my CBC they're happy to oblige. I always have a CBC done before I donate. I donated 11 days ago too. They only take 350ml which is about 4% of my total blood volume. My hemoglobin, hematocrit, MCV and RBC count have hardly changed since the last donation.

Edited by tropo

The Thai Red Cross are having a blood donor event this Wednesday 26th September between 1200 -1400 at Central Festival Pattaya.

There was no Red Cross to be seen at Central at 1300. Where did you get this information?

How strange no one was there! Here is the e mail I received from the Thai Red Cross.

John C

Subject: Time to hold events Blood Donation

Reply-To: regionIII NBC <[email protected]>

Dear Mr.John C

We proud to present to hold events Blood Donation at Central festival Pattaya beach

on 26 Sep 2012 during at noon to 2 pm.

Best Regards

Parnisara Sukjinda (Chif of section)

Regional Blood Center 3 chonburi

(038)278905 0851116199

**"Life is beautiful with people like you in it."**

Edited by JohnC

How strange no one was there! Here is the e mail I received from the Thai Red Cross.

John C

Subject: Time to hold events Blood Donation

Reply-To: regionIII NBC <[email protected]>

Dear Mr.John C

We proud to present to hold events Blood Donation at Central festival Pattaya beach

on 26 Sep 2012 during at noon to 2 pm.

Best Regards

Parnisara Sukjinda (Chif of section)

Regional Blood Center 3 chonburi

(038)278905 0851116199

**"Life is beautiful with people like you in it."**

I was there from 1300 to 1400 and walked all over looking for it.

If you have some information about a blood donation event again please PM me or post here.

Cheers

OK Tropo will do, I have asked them to put me on their mailing list but after your experience I wonder if it is worth it. Sorry you had a wasted journey :-(

It's ok. I don't mind shopping and eating lunch there anyway so it wasn't a wasted journey.