Price For Painting A Condo Unit?

hotandhumid

Morning all,

Need to give my condo a paint job, 72 SQM, 2 bedrroms, have been quoted 12000 bt for the paint and labour, but that seems high to me?

Any ideas on what I should be paying? And whilst I'm here, does anyone have anyne reco's on painters/where to go etc, to get this job done?

Thanks.

Edited by hotandhumid

12000 for a 72m2 condo incl. paint, material and labor seems pretty fair to me.

Don't have a painter on hand.

Oh ok. Really don't have an idea as never painted a condo before before, just my first instinct was that it was high, but maybe not.

Cheers.

DIY

I've had 3 condos I wanted painting and got silly prices for so ended up doing 2 myself and the third I had wallpapered because it was cheaper.

A mate had his whole 3 bedroom house painted inside and out for 9,000 Baht (he supplied paint) and the same guy wanted 14,000 Baht for my 100m2 flat!

My wallpapered flat cost around 8,000 Baht but I stripped the old wallpaper myself.

Edited by PattayaParent

sent you a PM if you would like some local Pattaya Thai's to do the job. You select and pay for the paint & they will provide labour, clean up the place after work completed etc They are members of my Thai family

My experience is that I get a better job by hiring labour at 400-500 b a day and supervising work myself, as well as supplying all materials Inc brushes, masking tape etc

That way alone you control the quality of work

My experience is that I get a better job by hiring labour at 400-500 b a day and supervising work myself, as well as supplying all materials Inc brushes, masking tape etc

'supervising work'

Yea I'm sure the workmen will be really comfortable with you sitting around all day scratching your balls and drinking tea with your eyes burning a whole in their backs.

I'll be letting them crack on with it and leave them alone like adults.

Cheers.

• Like 1

'supervising work'

Yea I'm sure the workmen will be really comfortable with you sitting around all day scratching your balls and drinking tea with your eyes burning a whole in their backs.

Cheers.

as he said he gets a better job

'supervising work'

Cheers.

as he said he gets a better job

Why does it get a better job? So if you left a professional decorator alone to get on with his trade, the job would not be as good as it would be if you was hovering around all day making a nuisance of yourself? Garbage IMO. Might as well just do it yourself if you are going to baby sit the painters.

Edited by hotandhumid

DIY

I've had 3 condos I wanted painting and got silly prices for so ended up doing 2 myself and the third I had wallpapered because it was cheaper.

A mate had his whole 3 bedroom house painted inside and out for 9,000 Baht (he supplied paint) and the same guy wanted 14,000 Baht for my 100m2 flat!

My wallpapered flat cost around 8,000 Baht but I stripped the old wallpaper myself.

Where did you get the wallpaper please P.P. and what sort of adhesive did you use. ( I,m near Sriracha )

I read previously it was impossible to get the cold water type we use back home and somone had used a Thai substitute that caused all sorts of problems.

I,d be grateful for any info from yourself or other members on where best to buy the wallpaper and a good Thai substitute for the cold waterpaste if it isn,t available here.

I was resigned to the idea of bringing some paste back the next visit home after reading about the difficulties experienced previously.

Thank you

marshbags smile.png

Need to give my condo a paint job, 72 SQM, 2 bedrroms,

have been quoted 12000 bt for the paint and labour, but that seems high to me?

Hi. Doesn't seem so high for me, but you need to be more precise.

Is it just a one layer paint on an existing - past but good - paint?

Do you have some heavy furniture to move, or part to dismount?

You need to ask to separate work and paint/material

Paint is not that cheap, and can even be expensive for some good ones. A very large range! Make an estimation of your surface to paint (about length of walls x 2.50m) and visit a HomeWork, HomePro or similar: look for the kind of paint you want, and read the surface covered by a bucket and it's price. You will now have a good idea of price for paint only.

Based on my experience of building here

Dont be at all surprised if

- you use a farang contractor who charges double the thai rate, does a shit job and offers platitudes like "this is thailand its how its done here" to excuse the shoddy work

- you use a thai contractor who fails to show up on appointed date.

- who turns round half way through job demanding twice as much money to complete it

- does zero prep work

- is merely the agent for the same less than competent staff you can find yourself and only shows up to collect money

- the paint is watered down so that the promised 3 coats is less than two coats

Advice like leaving professionals to get on with it are very laudable. Expect however to return to your condo in three days to find them sat on the floor watching thai soaps in telly rather than painting

• Like 1

DIY

Where did you get the wallpaper please P.P. and what sort of adhesive did you use. ( I,m near Sriracha )

I read previously it was impossible to get the cold water type we use back home and somone had used a Thai substitute that caused all sorts of problems.

I,d be grateful for any info from yourself or other members on where best to buy the wallpaper and a good Thai substitute for the cold waterpaste if it isn,t available here.

I was resigned to the idea of bringing some paste back the next visit home after reading about the difficulties experienced previously.

Thank you

marshbags smile.png

a place called Pop on Thepprasit just before the PTT petrol station heading towards Sukhumvit and on the same side.

They do curtains as well. Wallpaper's been up 5 years now and no problems with it.

Thank you

marshbags smile.png

a place called Pop on Thepprasit just before the PTT petrol station heading towards Sukhumvit and on the same side.

They do curtains as well. Wallpaper's been up 5 years now and no problems with it.

Thank you for the info PP, much appreciated

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Based on my experience of building here

Dont be at all surprised if

- you use a farang contractor who charges double the thai rate, does a shit job and offers platitudes like "this is thailand its how its done here" to excuse the shoddy work

- you use a thai contractor who fails to show up on appointed date.

- who turns round half way through job demanding twice as much money to complete it

- does zero prep work

- is merely the agent for the same less than competent staff you can find yourself and only shows up to collect money

- the paint is watered down so that the promised 3 coats is less than two coats

Advice like leaving professionals to get on with it are very laudable. Expect however to return to your condo in three days to find them sat on the floor watching thai soaps in telly rather than painting

What a silly post and a poor excuse to go Thai bashing. you even threw in the 'watching soaps' cliche. I've had a lot of work done by Thais in my time here and more oftern than not the work has been fine.

You sound very bitter, so can only assume you picked out some cowboys to do your work in the past.

If you've had so much work done so perfectly why not ask those contractors to do it or recommend someone, rather than a public forum.

My own experience of work here comes from scores of contractors with circa 40m baht spend. Perhaps our expectations of what constitutes a good job differ

In answer to you Op, 3k paint and 6k labour should cover it, so 12k is reasonable, if they do a good job

If they don't show up with proper tools, plenty of dustsheets and spend anything less than three to four man days on prep I'd send them in their way.

If you've had so much work done so perfectly why not ask those contractors to do it or recommend someone, rather than a public forum.

My own experience of work here comes from scores of contractors with circa 40m baht spend. Perhaps our expectations of what constitutes a good job differ

In answer to you Op, 3k paint and 6k labour should cover it, so 12k is reasonable, if they do a good job

If they don't show up with proper tools, plenty of dustsheets and spend anything less than three to four man days on prep I'd send them in their way.

3-4 days just to prepare?

I guess you don't know what a man day is? Moving furniture, sanding, taping, removing hardware, etc.; 3-4 man days easy depending on the complexity.

• Like 1

I guess you don't know what a man day is? Moving furniture, sanding, taping, removing hardware, etc.; 3-4 man days easy depending on the complexity.

Correct. Some people think that it only takes a new lick of paint to improve their living-quarters.

Repair cracks, sanding down, sometimes even new plaster-work, moving furniture, cover up areas with plastic, masking areas and that's all BEFORE any lick of paint has touched the wall.

The biggest problem and time-consumer are ceilings. A real pain. Especially in older houses. Most of the time the ceiling needs a lot of repairs (old wet-spots from leaking).

Preparation of a 72m2 furnished condo takes approx. 2 days in total.

Total time with 2 people is approx. 5 days.

Correct. Some people think that it only takes a new lick of paint to improve their living-quarters.

Repair cracks, sanding down, sometimes even new plaster-work, moving furniture, cover up areas with plastic, masking areas and that's all BEFORE any lick of paint has touched the wall.

The biggest problem and time-consumer are ceilings. A real pain. Especially in older houses. Most of the time the ceiling needs a lot of repairs (old wet-spots from leaking).

Preparation of a 72m2 furnished condo takes approx. 2 days in total.

Total time with 2 people is approx. 5 days.

I would never have thought that painting a smallish condo is such a big job. I'm not even going to bother now, just going to touch up some parts and have done with it.

• 3 months later...

'supervising work'

Cheers.

Unfortunately most Thai workers left to themselves will produce only "Thai quality" which might make your eyes pretty sore :)