Married In Uk, Divorce In Thailand, How ?

ArranP

Hello,

My Thai wife and I (British) are discussing the process of divorce, we married in the UK in 2008, but now we live in Thailand and neither of us are intending to return to the UK, we have 2 children.

How do we end our UK marriage from Thialand ?

Thank you for your response.

Regards

Arran.

Edited by ArranP

Have not got a clue maybe you need to contact the British Embassy for advice the reason why I suggest this is if you wish to re-marry in Thailand you have to get a letter from them to confirm you are free to marry which involves showing your degree nisi/ absolute which is issued by a UK court sorry I can not be of further help.

You can divorce in Thailand, but first have to register your foreign marriage at an amphur if you didn't do so.

Regestering the marriage in thailand means: getting your wedding cewrtificate certified by your embassy, next translated into Thai and certified by the Thai Foreign Ministry. With these docuemtns you go to any amphur, or khet in Bangkok and have the marriage recorded. As proof you get a khor rhor 22 form. (people marrying in Thailand get a khor rhor 2 form).

I advise to choose an amphur/khet where they have a lot of experience with foreigners. The khet at Bangrak is often used and can advise you if they can divorce you right after having registered your marriage or that you will have to go to court.

I suspect that you can have an amphur divorce right after you registered the marriage.

• Like 1

You can divorce in Thailand, but first have to register your foreign marriage at an amphur if you didn't do so.

Regestering the marriage in thailand means: getting your wedding cewrtificate certified by your embassy, next translated into Thai and certified by the Thai Foreign Ministry. With these docuemtns you go to any amphur, or khet in Bangkok and have the marriage recorded. As proof you get a khor rhor 22 form. (people marrying in Thailand get a khor rhor 2 form).

I advise to choose an amphur/khet where they have a lot of experience with foreigners. The khet at Bangrak is often used and can advise you if they can divorce you right after having registered your marriage or that you will have to go to court.

I suspect that you can have an amphur divorce right after you registered the marriage.

Thank you.