Samui Soi Dogs

Maybe there is a distinction between "street dogs" and "beach dogs." For the most part, the beach dogs seem to be greeted by most tourists as a acceptable trapping of the Thai beach experience. It's true they are not clean, as such, but generally someone does pay some attention to them as they don't beg for food which they would be doing if they were not getting food somewhere (I am thinking of Lamai beach). One beach dog got into some tar-like stuff and it was all over her side. Then apparently she rolled on a dead fish for extra perfume. The next day she was "clean" so someone did something. Oh, and they are friendly to the point of not really being interested in people very much.

There were (are?) programs here on Samui to spay stray dogs (the females, of course). There was a dog here in my area some years ago (RIP) who had a number tattooed inside her ear. I was told this was from her spaying by some organization. Maybe the funding went away for this?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe there is a distinction between "street dogs" and "beach dogs." For the most part, the beach dogs seem to be greeted by most tourists as a acceptable trapping of the Thai beach experience. It's true they are not clean, as such, but generally someone does pay some attention to them as they don't beg for food which they would be doing if they were not getting food somewhere (I am thinking of Lamai beach). One beach dog got into some tar-like stuff and it was all over her side. Then apparently she rolled on a dead fish for extra perfume. The next day she was "clean" so someone did something. Oh, and they are friendly to the point of not really being interested in people very much.

There were (are?) programs here on Samui to spay stray dogs (the females, of course). There was a dog here in my area some years ago (RIP) who had a number tattooed inside her ear. I was told this was from her spaying by some organization. Maybe the funding went away for this?

Yes, the Dog and Cat Rescue Centre in Chawang (near Lamdon Market in evenings, not sure which evenings 5 pm on til? ) and in Thali Gnam, during the day..... (spaying & neutering as well, for cats for sure...) .... Tick and Mange control too ....... and a whole lot of animal rescues.....

All cats and dogs they have are treated, before they are adopted out ...

All by donation... there are collection boxes dotted around the island...

HiSo beach dogs lol

From what I have seen, these beach dogs have their own turf and are hard to get rid of. If it's not causing a problem to customers then it is in the interest of the business for it to stay while making sure that it is not going to put people off by being covered in tar or stinking of fish. If the dog you mention goes or is got rid of then another will take its place and that one may not be quite so nice. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Yes, the Dog and Cat Rescue Centre in Chawang (near Lamdon Market in evenings, not sure which evenings 5 pm on til? ) and in Thali Gnam, during the day..... (spaying & neutering as well, for cats for sure...) .... Tick and Mange control too ....... and a whole lot of animal rescues.....

All cats and dogs they have are treated, before they are adopted out ...

All by donation... there are collection boxes dotted around the island...

They also need any old blankets, towels and sheets for the dogs as well.

My wife and I live in the very back of a very

Large mooban. Both of us have been chased by the same VICIOUS dog while riding the 100cc bike to the market. The dog nearly bit my wife last weekday as she slowed to make a turn-she got away by the skin of her teeth. 2 weeks before, while riding a friend to Bok soi, the same dog chased us and just nearly bit my buddy riding pillion.

Can I kill this mother****r? My wife says if I do it some of the neighbors will get upset as it obviously disrupts Buddhist tradition; I get that, I'm trying to live a Buddhist life too. I just can't abide a vicious dog loose in my neighborhood. He might bite my wife....if that happens he'll be short for this world.i agree, the dog situation here is totally out of control!!!!!

• Like 1

Large mooban. Both of us have been chased by the same VICIOUS dog while riding the 100cc bike to the market. The dog nearly bit my wife last weekday as she slowed to make a turn-she got away by the skin of her teeth. 2 weeks before, while riding a friend to Bok soi, the same dog chased us and just nearly bit my buddy riding pillion.

Can I kill this mother****r? My wife says if I do it some of the neighbors will get upset as it obviously disrupts Buddhist tradition; I get that, I'm trying to live a Buddhist life too. I just can't abide a vicious dog loose in my neighborhood. He might bite my wife....if that happens he'll be short for this world.i agree, the dog situation here is totally out of control!!!!!

Bike-chasing dogs are another issue on the island, and they can be a right pain-in-the-bumm.

I have found that one way to stop them (if you are brave enough) is to stop the bike. Point at the dog and shout in a VERY loud voice 'NO'! Keep shouting no until the dog stops barking (they usually do).

Eventually, the dog will recognose your bike and just pointing at the dog is enough.

Whatever you do - do not try to kick the dog. This is how it all starts. Young Thais see the dog and kick at it as they go past on their bikes. Eventually, the dog strikes first.

I have heard that cats traveling in cars can be a harrowing experience if they are not in a cage [like a bird])

Ex-wife had a cat that would poop immediately when the engine started on the car she (the cat) was in. Made trips to the vet real fun. Even the vet recommended we put her in a pillow case for the ride to reduce the cat's angst. Just couldn't bring ourselves to do it...

Bike-chasing dogs are another issue on the island, and they can be a right pain-in-the-bumm.

I have found that one way to stop them (if you are brave enough) is to stop the bike. Point at the dog and shout in a VERY loud voice 'NO'! Keep shouting no until the dog stops barking (they usually do).

Eventually, the dog will recognose your bike and just pointing at the dog is enough.

Whatever you do - do not try to kick the dog. This is how it all starts. Young Thais see the dog and kick at it as they go past on their bikes. Eventually, the dog strikes first.

what really pisses me off is that allot of these dogs are not strays. they have owners and they let the dogs walk around freely to bark and bike and chase bikes. not only dangerous for people but for the dogs.

so many dogs on themain road have owners butthey just let them run aroundfreely. then they get killed andthe owner gets up set. well drrrr. leaving an animal not tied up palying with traffic

or they bite someone.

people should not be allod dogsunless they have a secure premises to keep them.

sometimes i have to defend myself against these dogs by pretending to throw a rock. but what i really want to do is electricutetheir owners.

• Like 1

Kill them all, imo. I am a dog lover - but the domestic types only. I have a brilliant French Mastiff who I love to bits. I live 100 meters from the beach in Hua Hin and half the reason i koved to the beach was so i could walk my buddy on the beach twice a day. What should be a fun hour on a smahing beach is ruined by packs and packs of dirty horrible strays who surround us constantly and bark like hell. Its a battle between fending off the strays and restraining my 55 Kilo dog.

I once thought "to hell with them" and let him off the leash to have a go back but I ended up having a huge row with one of the "owners" about it. For "owner" read beach cafe owner who throws left over food to dogs a couple times a week and lets them run ragged.

To those of you who will inevitably post back to me "So you want all these dogs dead so you can enjoy a stroll a couple times a day". Yes. Exactly that. Call it cold and sadistic if you like, I dont care. I want to enjoy a stroll without having to stress about these horrible muts and would happily see them enjoy a slow painfull death so I can partake in a stroll.

• Like 2

Kill them all, imo. I am a dog lover - but the domestic types only. I have a brilliant French Mastiff who I love to bits. I live 100 meters from the beach in Hua Hin and half the reason i koved to the beach was so i could walk my buddy on the beach twice a day. What should be a fun hour on a smahing beach is ruined by packs and packs of dirty horrible strays who surround us constantly and bark like hell. Its a battle between fending off the strays and restraining my 55 Kilo dog.

I once thought "to hell with them" and let him off the leash to have a go back but I ended up having a huge row with one of the "owners" about it. For "owner" read beach cafe owner who throws left over food to dogs a couple times a week and lets them run ragged.

To those of you who will inevitably post back to me "So you want all these dogs dead so you can enjoy a stroll a couple times a day". Yes. Exactly that. Call it cold and sadistic if you like, I dont care. I want to enjoy a stroll without having to stress about these horrible muts and would happily see them enjoy a slow painfull death so I can partake in a stroll.

Fully agree and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with similar sentiments.

Edited by limbos
  • Like 1

I agree with this, I have 7 dogs ( was 8 until my female Pitbull disappeared and never returned last week) and like yourself one of my dogs is a mastiff. I used to love walking my dogs in England, but find it almost impossible here, as we are constantly barked at which makes my dogs go ballistic.

I love dogs and wish no harm to any dog, but there are way too many 'loose' dogs here. They have a tough life and wouldn't condone a cull, but the numbers are getting too much. Think every 711/tesco/familymart etc has a few, shame these very wealthy companies don't donate to the dog rescue to help neuter/ rehome these animals, instead of letting them loiter around their shops.

I feel so sorry for you can't take you dog for a walk to shit on the beach.

I understand this sentiment, but what if someone came to walk their dog(s) across your yard where your dog lives (because it is a natural pathway to another area)? Your dog will bark like hell and may try to defend his turf, because in his mind it IS his territory. Just because you say, "For 'owner' read beach cafe owner who throws left over food to dogs a couple times a week and lets them run ragged," does not mean they do not like the dogs or care for them in some way. This is a "developing country," remember and it's not always easy to apply your personal Western standards of "care and affection" to the Thai mentality. To a Thai, you may seem demented in your treatment of a dog -- overly concerned about an animal, spending too much money on the animal with fancy bagged food and collars and insect medicines, having an overly anthropomorphic relationship with an animal (talking to it as if it were a person), expecting to be able to have the animal traipse into another dog's territory with "dog impunity," allowing the animal to sleep and carouse inside your house (bringing in ticks and fleas, in spite of the best preventative medicines) and so on.

I agree, it would be ideal if you could walk on the beach wherever you liked with your dog. Maybe it is possible if you use a little dog psychology to allow the resident dogs to get used to yours (it is possible and there are ways to make this happen; I have done it with mine in the past), but not if you have the mindset of, "These dogs are in the wrong and I'd rather kill them all than try to integrate my dog as a acceptable 'allowable friend'."

There is of course the option to walk your dog on stretch of beach where there are no other dogs, or resident beach dogs.

By the way, is your dog male or female? Both can be integrated into other's territory, in general, if you are patient, but it is easier if your dog is female.

As for dogs who chase you on your bike, this is a learned behavior that can be unlearned. I know of one man in Chiang Mai who carries a metal pipe on his bike and he told the story of "accidentally" killing a dog with a strike to its head as it ran alongside. That's one solution but one that reinforces the behavior of bike riders as enemies. While some animals (like some people) are irredeemable, most can be "turned." It takes time, patience and the will to see it to the desired conclusion. I find it interesting that we humans, with our big brains and reasoning capacity confront a comparatively dumb animal like a dog with Cro-Magnon solutions. Are you saying that it is not possible to outwit a dog and make it into a tail-wagging creature when you come on your bike, instead of a vengeful creature withing to attack the stick-wielding bike rider?

• Like 1

I understand this sentiment, but what if someone came to walk their dog(s) across your yard where your dog lives (because it is a natural pathway to another area)? Your dog will bark like hell and may try to defend his turf, because in his mind it IS his territory. Just because you say, "For 'owner' read beach cafe owner who throws left over food to dogs a couple times a week and lets them run ragged," does not mean they do not like the dogs or care for them in some way. This is a "developing country," remember and it's not always easy to apply your personal Western standards of "care and affection" to the Thai mentality. To a Thai, you may seem demented in your treatment of a dog -- overly concerned about an animal, spending too much money on the animal with fancy bagged food and collars and insect medicines, having an overly anthropomorphic relationship with an animal (talking to it as if it were a person), expecting to be able to have the animal traipse into another dog's territory with "dog impunity," allowing the animal to sleep and carouse inside your house (bringing in ticks and fleas, in spite of the best preventative medicines) and so on.

I agree, it would be ideal if you could walk on the beach wherever you liked with your dog. Maybe it is possible if you use a little dog psychology to allow the resident dogs to get used to yours (it is possible and there are ways to make this happen; I have done it with mine in the past), but not if you have the mindset of, "These dogs are in the wrong and I'd rather kill them all than try to integrate my dog as a acceptable 'allowable friend'."

There is of course the option to walk your dog on stretch of beach where there are no other dogs, or resident beach dogs.

By the way, is your dog male or female? Both can be integrated into other's territory, in general, if you are patient, but it is easier if your dog is female.

As for dogs who chase you on your bike, this is a learned behavior that can be unlearned. I know of one man in Chiang Mai who carries a metal pipe on his bike and he told the story of "accidentally" killing a dog with a strike to its head as it ran alongside. That's one solution but one that reinforces the behavior of bike riders as enemies. While some animals (like some people) are irredeemable, most can be "turned." It takes time, patience and the will to see it to the desired conclusion. I find it interesting that we humans, with our big brains and reasoning capacity confront a comparatively dumb animal like a dog with Cro-Magnon solutions. Are you saying that it is not possible to outwit a dog and make it into a tail-wagging creature when you come on your bike, instead of a vengeful creature withing to attack the stick-wielding bike rider?

You do write some rubbish you could at least write quality rubbish but anyway

There is. Not enough places where people can take their dogs for a walk

Not enough public parks with rules

Only public areas

The alternative to killing them would be to take them to the temple

If the person gets angry because they have claimed the strays as their own then they can be responsible of those strays bite someone or another dog

If rhey think they are doing themselves and the world a favor by giving them their rubbish then they are just using these strays for there own befit

I'd hey would like to chain the up Ans take them for walks then that is another matter but they would not a that I involves looking after a SPF properly

This is not a 3 Ed works country

There is no excuse just common sense is enough

I will try to emulate your quality rubbish in the future. Please forgive the fact that my rubbish-writing skills are light years behind the master.

You've been told laugh.png
  • Like 2

Yah to be honest you do have a fair point. Thais do look at Ferang dog owning habits as strange. We do fuss our dogs and generaly, Thais dont (apart from the thai chicks with there small poodles etc).

Then again, I live in an area where the Thais derive most of there income from Tourist bucks. Tourists bring there Western habits with them and if they want the bucks, they should adapt to western ways a little more. Getting rid of there wild dogs would be a start. I guess this is a whole different subject though.

But, you know... It is what it is. I think its insane that a Thai restraunt located on the beach would alow several nasty dogs with fleas and diseases to kick around the establishment. Its just nuts, in my opinion.

I even got into a fight with a felow ferang one day over these bloody animals. One of them bit me on the back leg. On the way back home, i could not resist the temptation and walked over to it and kicked it straight in the nose, as hard as I could. A ferang seen me do this, obviously not knowing that the dog bit me and started on me. One thing led to another and the next thing you know we are brawling on the beach. All because of these sodding dogs. Its insane. Its actualy killed it for me living here and now I want to move.

• Like 1

I will try to emulate your quality rubbish in the future. Please forgive the fact that my rubbish-writing skills are light years behind the master.

You've been told laugh.png

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif be careful now~ !!!!biggrin.png

• Like 1

Yah to be honest you do have a fair point. Thais do look at Ferang dog owning habits as strange. We do fuss our dogs and generaly, Thais dont (apart from the thai chicks with there small poodles etc).

Then again, I live in an area where the Thais derive most of there income from Tourist bucks. Tourists bring there Western habits with them and if they want the bucks, they should adapt to western ways a little more. Getting rid of there wild dogs would be a start. I guess this is a whole different subject though.

But, you know... It is what it is. I think its insane that a Thai restraunt located on the beach would alow several nasty dogs with fleas and diseases to kick around the establishment. Its just nuts, in my opinion.

I even got into a fight with a felow ferang one day over these bloody animals. One of them bit me on the back leg. On the way back home, i could not resist the temptation and walked over to it and kicked it straight in the nose, as hard as I could. A ferang seen me do this, obviously not knowing that the dog bit me and started on me. One thing led to another and the next thing you know we are brawling on the beach. All because of these sodding dogs. Its insane. Its actualy killed it for me living here and now I want to move.

i would not let that inccodent bother you. I agree with you sometimes you have to defend yourself against an animal or a person. when i go jogging i normally carry stones as i know that dogs like to attack from side on. well i am not going to have a dog bite me. if they want to have a go then they shall have to acccept a few rocks hitting them before they get to me. what anoys me is that allot of theyse so called strays have owners but they let them wonderabout in the public and chase people and l in the middle ofthe roadthen they get angry if there dog gets kills or stoned or in a fight with another dog. puts the word stupid into a whole new catagory

• Like 1

what anoys me is that allot of theyse so called strays have owners but they let them wonderabout in the public and chase people and l in the middle ofthe roadthen they get angry if there dog gets kills or stoned or in a fight with another dog. puts the word stupid into a whole new catagory

A good reason why some people just can't hack it when they decide to move to Thailand.

what anoys me is that allot of theyse so called strays have owners but they let them wonderabout in the public and chase people and l in the middle ofthe roadthen they get angry if there dog gets kills or stoned or in a fight with another dog. puts the word stupid into a whole new catagory

A good reason why some people just can't hack it when they decide to move to Thailand.

I don't agree to this sentiment, I can hack it relatively well in Thailand but this is also something that gets to me, the moment their dog is hit or in trouble they get all upset but the moment their dog causes an accident or bits somebody and you try to make them responsible for that dog, they claim not to know the dog.

This on top of the all the 'real' stray dogs.

• Like 1

I don't agree to this sentiment, I can hack it relatively well in Thailand but this is also something that gets to me, the moment their dog is hit or in trouble they get all upset but the moment their dog causes an accident or bits somebody and you try to make them responsible for that dog, they claim not to know the dog.

This on top of the all the 'real' stray dogs.

I should rephrase. For some, things such as this 'get to them' to the point where they cannot live with it. For others it could be being surrounded by corruption, or the never ending heat.An American friend came here on a fact finding mission with a view to perhaps living in LoS but found the corruption too much for her. A Kiwi friend of mine moved to Samui May 2010 after having been here dozens of times for 2-3 week periods. After 3 months (ish) she found that the constant heat was too much so returned back to CHCH NZ.

i can handle it. i take the rough with the smooth. i get angry just like the thais do but the way i deal with my anger is different.

i have to throwstones at dogs in order tostop getting bit.that is not evil. thowing a dog from the rood of a nack of a pick up for fun is evil and i do that sometime due to evil value. i di notspend 3 years at evilschool to not be evil.

• Like 1

i can handle it. i take the rough with the smooth. i get angry just like the thais do but the way i deal with my anger is different.

i have to throwstones at dogs in order tostop getting bit.that is not evil. thowing a dog from the rood of a nack of a pick up for fun is evil and i do that sometime due to evil value. i di notspend 3 years at evilschool to not be evil.

Are you Trolling Big C? Hope so because if you're not you could probably do with some help.

Do you really think that other members of the forum are interested in your statement that you would throw dogs off the

roof of your pickup for fun?

very ironic must agree.

Are you Trolling Big C? Hope so because if you're not you could probably do with some help.

Do you really think that other members of the forum are interested in your statement that you would throw dogs off the

roof of your pickup for fun?

If anyone is trolling it is u

I was not aware that I was not Alloud to jest on a website

If u r affended my my words then u should go to Engla d where I can be arrested for just saying something

Of coarse I don't do that . by replying to your post is insighting your trollish behavior

So u also Beleive that I spent 3 years at evil school

If that is the case how many evil schools do u know of

Edited by BigC