The Spirit Of High Society In Thailand

CurryAfficionado

Do a search on Google for "THAILAND TATLER". The TATLER magazine comes up at number 1.

http://www.thailandtatler.com/

The magazine bills itself as "The Spirit of High Society in Thailand".

And Google describes it as "ThailandTatler.com is a premiere magazine for influential and sophisticated people in Thailand who love to be in trend and be part of the high-end luxury".

Are you part of High Society?

The magazine lists the top 500 High Society Thais. It also lists the top 300 High Society expats.

Do you like High Society Thais?

Do you respect their class?

Do you admire their quality?

Are you married to an heiress?

Is this going to be a Thai-hi-so-envy thread, where less privileged farangs feel a need to bash the well-to-do Thais? "How dare those uppity Thais make more money than me!" Let's see if the jealousy spills over into anything constructive, but I doubt that's what Mr. CA wants. Judging by the questions he's asking. How about this? What if I change one word to the following:

Do you like High Society farangs?

Do you respect their class?

Do you admire their quality?

There really shouldn't be any difference between one's opinion of hi so farangs vs. hi so Thais. Unless you have a real issue with race....

Edited by Berkshire
  • Like 2

I don't like high society anything.....I call them plastic people (not real),

....maybe because I don't have the dollars...........but I keep threatening to anyone listening, that if I'd won Lotto or they would simply give me 5 million dollars, I wouldn't change a bit.........please just let me prove it.....you'll see.

There really shouldn't be any difference between one's opinion of hi so farangs vs. hi so Thais. Unless you have a real issue with race....

The Thais are citizens of Thailand. The European foreigners are mostly outsiders. OF COURSE there is a difference! Also note they don't mean ONLY European foreigners by expat hisos, so why did you even use the f word? If you're going to promote the silly notion that there aren't major league racial issues in Thailand, you might want to clean up your own act first ...

BTW, I don't see any problem with a mild criticize the hisos thread. We get threads all the time where lower wealth Thais and expats are shamelessly dissed. ONE thread about hisos, why not? Why not some BALANCE?

Is there class/money envy going on? Yes, of course. Do higher wealth people mostly look down on lower wealth people? Yes, of course. So why not some balance? Against free speech?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The real high society will go to great lengths to ensure that they do not make the list. The last thing one wants to do is to draw attention to oneself. Until one is harrassed by charities and the parade of people looking for handouts, donatons, support etc., it is difficult to appreciate. As well, one does not need to attract kidnappers and extortionists.

When I was in school, one of my classmates came from a billionaire Hong Kong family. They led a very low key public life. The father was a big supporter of philanthropy, but did it discreetly. There was also another kid. He came from some old German aristocratic family and made sure everyone knew about it. His home was eventually foreclosed by the bank(s) and all of their leased and financed cars were taken away. Chinese kid went to summer camp with me and he lived in a tent and suffered mosquitos and balck flies like the rest of us. The hairlipped aristocrat spent the summers on his daddy's boat in the mediteranean or at their villa in the south of France. He made sure we knew how "rich" he was. Fast forward a couple decades, the Hong Kong Kid is still married to his wife, is a quiet businessman and seems to be following in his father's footsteps. The aristocratic kid has been in and out of rehab, has had a messy divorce and is a royal mess. I know who is high society. wink.png

• Like 2

If someone spends their life trying to live up to the "hi-so" image, then more than likely, I don't want anything to do with them. Pretentious snobs irritate me to no end. Go to dinner, and have to listen to someone brag about how they bought their plates from a little market in Sicily, or whatever other stupid shit. Or even worse, some yuppy couple who furnished their house with cheap crap from Ikea, just to make themselves look "hi-so", when in reality they're not even close, and are up to their eyeballs in debt.

It's one of the reasons I prefer Thailand over Canada. You don't have to deal with that shit as much.

However, having said that, I admit, I like the nicer things in life too. Never brag or show off though. Not polite.

Edited by cdnmatt

^killer post, that.

It was, and I ticked as such..... but it did remind me of this song a little bit.

"Oh, I've been to Niece and the Isle of Greece while I've sipped champagne on a yacht

I've moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got

I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things that a woman ain't supposed to see

I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me."

The real high society will go to great lengths to ensure that they do not make the list. The last thing one wants to do is to draw attention to oneself. Until one is harrassed by charities and the parade of people looking for handouts, donatons, support etc., it is difficult to appreciate. As well, one does not need to attract kidnappers and extortionists.

When I was in school, one of my classmates came from a billionaire Hong Kong family. They led a very low key public life. The father was a big supporter of philanthropy, but did it discreetly. There was also another kid. He came from some old German aristocratic family and made sure everyone knew about it. His home was eventually foreclosed by the bank(s) and all of their leased and financed cars were taken away. Chinese kid went to summer camp with me and he lived in a tent and suffered mosquitos and balck flies like the rest of us. The hairlipped aristocrat spent the summers on his daddy's boat in the mediteranean or at their villa in the south of France. He made sure we knew how "rich" he was. Fast forward a couple decades, the Hong Kong Kid is still married to his wife, is a quiet businessman and seems to be following in his father's footsteps. The aristocratic kid has been in and out of rehab, has had a messy divorce and is a royal mess. I know who is high society. wink.png

From the above

"The real high society will go to great lengths to ensure that they do not make the list."

No, I'm not on the list either ! biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

People are people... Being rich or being poor doesn't make some one good or bad... Their ethics, morals and actions do that.

Now if you are asking if I would want to be involved in the pomp and pageantry of "high Society" or have everyone know my name or be seen on TV or such... Then the answer is absolutely not, as I value and enjoy my privacy

But if you are asking if I would enjoy having their bank balance... Then of course the answer is yes

Well said. Most of the Thai hi-so's that I know in Thailand are very much like your Hong Kong family example. Very low-profile, never talk about their money, usually involved with philanthropy, and are quite ordinary in how they live their lives. The parents, especially the fathers, are very strict with their kids and honestly, the kids almost all turn out to be good, hard-working kids. You will never hear of them because they simply will not make the news. Farangs are always talking about the spoiled rich kid who wrecks his Mercedes after some late night party. But those are pretty rare and probably not even real hi-so's. Thai hi-so's are so low-key that if someone portrays themselves as a hi-so, they're probably not.

If someone spends their life trying to live up to the "hi-so" image, then more than likely, I don't want anything to do with them. Pretentious snobs irritate me to no end. Go to dinner, and have to listen to someone brag about how they bought their plates from a little market in Sicily, or whatever other stupid shit. Or even worse, some yuppy couple who furnished their house with cheap crap from Ikea, just to make themselves look "hi-so", when in reality they're not even close, and are up to their eyeballs in debt.

It's one of the reasons I prefer Thailand over Canada. You don't have to deal with that shit as much.

However, having said that, I admit, I like the nicer things in life too. Never brag or show off though. Not polite.

You're confusing 'hiso' from any country with 'Absolutely Fabulous' (a Brit TV programme for those from other countries).

Its the nouvea riche that show off their expensive possessions, not those that have grown up with money - they don't even think about it.

My dear old mother associated with high society; they are just like the rest of us, but better spoken, better educated, and sometimes better fitted for their position in life having been born into it.

Works of fiction are full of tales of people who move beyond the limits of their current position to take a new position, and the glory ofthat new position, but the new position is not the achievement that is worthy of glory; it si the deeds that they performed in the position that they found themselves. A bad duke is deserving of less praise than a good peasant.

I have drunk with princes and binmen, and the experience was equally humiliating; I blame neither the prince nor the binman for that.

I do not believe that Thai princes, or binmen, are significantly different from our own

SC

What do you mean by "better fitted for their position in life having been born into it"? Edit - Are you saying that they are better suited to employment as non-exec directors etc. than someone who has 'worked their way up'?

I've never "drunk with princes" but do have (Western) friends who are incredibly wealthy and fairly poor. They are all kind, caring people otherwise they would not be friends.

I've little doubt that the hi-so Thais are the same - some genuinely good people, others not so much. Just the same as in the West.

Edited by F1fanatic