Windmill As A Water Pump

Hi,

I am thinking of using wind power, ie a windmill, to pump water from one lake to another - I am thinking conventional windmill rather than modern wind turbine. Has anyone any experience of trying this and does anyone know where I could get one made. I live near Korat. I would really appreciate any input that others may offer. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Standard windmills and their associated lift type pump, are not capable of high volume transfer of fluid.

The lift system works on a fairly short stroke (18 inch +_) and pump is normally less than 2 inch in size.

Even with a good wind ( 25 to 30 mph ) I doubt that the pump rate is much more than 5 gallon per minute. This is going back in memory several decades, so if someone points out errors, I have made, you might want to heed their advice.

I'm going by memory back 5 decades also,

We had one on our farm in Canada to keep the stock tank filled, and that's about all it could do on a very windy day. Barely a trickle coming out of it and it was sited on a good well

I would image that their are more efficent models out there nowadays but I don't think they'd be capable of moving large volumes of water.

It will be interesting to see if you can come up with something though, I've got a remote site I use an electric submersiable pump along with a gen set for irrigation in the dry season and a windmill would be nice.

I worked in NZ a rew years ago and saw quite a few windmills there so I did some Googling and came up with these links that may help.

All except the last one will only such up tp 7.5 metres but the last one is Canadian and is supposed to do about 30 metres.

I hope they help you.

http://www.windmills.biz/

http://www.windmills.biz/main.html

http://www.colonialenergy.co.nz/wind.htm

http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/lsb-forum/showthread.php?t=16752

http://www.horizonwindmills.co.nz/

http://www.technologydevelopmentpartners.org/apecdb/wind/waterpumpingframe.htm

• 2 weeks later...

One thing no one has mentioned, wind, there is none around here. Think unless you are in a coastal region or some where they get a breeze a wind pump is a no go. No chance here, best I get is convection as one side of the house heats faster then the other. Jim

One thing no one has mentioned, wind, there is none around here. Think unless you are in a coastal region or some where they get a breeze a wind pump is a no go. No chance here, best I get is convection as one side of the house heats faster then the other. Jim

I don't think that is strictly true. Usually either no wind or gale force when rain is on its way. But i am just being pedantic. I really doubt that the wind in Isaan, most of the time at leat, would be able to supply power.

I don't think that is strictly true. Usually either no wind or gale force when rain is on its way. But i am just being pedantic. I really doubt that the wind in Isaan, most of the time at leat, would be able to supply power.

True enough, you could pump a lake dry when you get hit with a tropical depression, trouble being it's then you want less water not more. Jim

True enough, you could pump a lake dry when you get hit with a tropical depression, trouble being it's then you want less water not more. Jim

:D

I think windmills are great. All you need is some wind. Here in Loei province where we live, it would be feast or famine. What wind we have here comes in great bursts that would tear a windmill apart or we have no wind at all.

What about a pump with sunpower?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

Good question, has been brought up before and I have looked around here and Ubon for a real solar supply shop, pumps. lights, water heaters etc, but not seen any. May be some of the Ubon dwellers may know.

Thailand with ample sun seems to be a bit slow on Solar. Jim

The experience I have had with solar, was replacing a windmill system with solar panel/pump due to mechancial problems downhole on the former The solar system provided about the same volume of fulid as a windmill, thus no where near enough for garden/irrigation use.

Years ago (late 70s?) there was a windmill manufacturer in Thailand, but I cannot remember their name. They were for pumping from wells and were only partially successful. There was only a crank at the top and no gearbox as found on more expensive overseas models.

For the OP's application, he may want to consider the windmills used to transfer sea water to different evaporation ponds as per the salt farms in the Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkram areas. This a paddle wheel arrangement and only good for moving water to ponds at the same elevation or lower. The salt farm ones made here are of totally non-ferrous parts - tower and paddle wheels are wood, sails are canvas, spars are bamboo and drive is by a knotted rope.

20071230_02241 Flickr - Photo Sharing!.htm

As an historical footnote, Silom Road got its name from the windmill that used to be there.

Edited by Boksida

• 6 months later...

Hi, Everyone

Glad you guys talking about the windpump .

I am doing the wind pump in India - My company licensed maufactory an UK design windpump from May last year .

This windpump is quite simple - wind running the turbine rotor -> turbine rotor running the shaft -> shaft running the reciprocating arm which making the wind rods doing up-dowm movement . The design advoid the use of the a complcated gear box to cut down the cost .

more than 1000 of this windpump has been installed in more than 20 countries over a period of 20 years.

This is the 3.5m rotor wind pump data which ex-factory price is USD 3,668 with 12meter tower

Head mteter wind speed @ 3m/s wind speed @ 4m/s

water litres/day water litres/day

5 45,000 90,000

10 22,000 45,000

15 15,000 29,000

25 9,000 16,000

30 7,000 13,000

45 4,700 8,000

60 3,000 5,500

75 2,200 4,000

We also have 5mete rotor as choise .

You can google ABS WIND PUMP to see our video on YOUTO .

Edited by Emma117

Hahaha. Differences in lingo. Mills grind grain, pumps er, uh, pump. Either can be done with wind power. We had wind pumps, LOL. We had a miller grind our grain. The wind pumps were for remote locations where electricity wasn't practical. 100 years ago it wasn't available. We used them to fill watering tanks for cattle.

The "up down" crankshaft type mechanism is very practical. A single foot valve type can lift water about 50 feet. A double foot valve can lift about 150 feet.

Here's a vid of a single foot valve pump, just to give an idea of it. This could be powered by a wind pump with the crankshaft type design.

Edited by NeverSure

Modern windgenerators are built for speed, to produce electricity, Windmills for pumping are built to produce torque.

As others have said Southern Cross in Australia make a wide range.

Solar can also work, check out the specs here. The top product is the pump. Click on the description to open another page with the downloadable specs.

http://www.rpc.com.au/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=pmp-s04&submit2=Go

Advanced wind turbines optimise the rotor speed considering many factors including the tip speed ratio and the CP of the blades. This maximises power production and reduces noise

The price of solar PV has reduced significantly in recent years – the efficiency of PV reduced by heat and atmospheric dust / surface dirt on the panels