The 15 Largest Shopping Malls In The World

ravip

Disgusting places!

Fair point. One could ask for Disgusting Places. I would recommend the Edsa Entertainment Centre, which is not a bona fide shopping mall, or Orchard Towers, which is. Nana is a bit run-down and seedy, and not as bustling as it once was, in my opinion, though its a long time since I was in Manila or Singapore as well...

SC

Disgusting places!

Fair point. One could ask for Disgusting Places. I would recommend the Edsa Entertainment Centre, which is not a bona fide shopping mall, or Orchard Towers, which is. Nana is a bit run-down and seedy, and not as bustling as it once was, in my opinion, though its a long time since I was in Manila or Singapore as well...

SC

whistling.gif Ah an educational centre.!. thats a whole other ball game!

not really something to be proud about.

+1

Shopping Malls are what causes these nightmare traffic jams every weekend, they destroy, the local economy, and encourage people to buy more cars

I certainly agree that they destroy the local businesses around the area

I'm not a great lover of malls, I once lost the car in the Mid-Valley Megamall (No6), they have chaps on mopeds who will go and find your car and (for a nominal fee) take you to it smile.png

Thanks to the OP for posting that interesting link to Central World being 5th largest in the world. I remember visiting it when it first opened and being distinctly unimpressed; apart from the hanging 'sculptures' it was just a large, soul-less monstrosity. Today, however, I visited Mega Banga and was pleasantly surprised - the outside area is lovely to walk around and has children's play-areas, both outside and inside which my son loved, plus there were some really interesting shops there like 'Accessorize London' and 'Le Salade' which just sold salads, and Bangkokburger which had burgers themed on different places in the world. My son's favorite shop was a Marvel-licensed shop with life-sized models of Spiderman, Thor and Captain America. Well worth a visit.

Ahhhh, when I hear/read about Central World, I always think of the 1990's (its name was World Trade Center then) and the beer garden/festival set up in front of it every year between November and February. It was great atmosphere. I am sure some of you remember/know of it.

Since many years ago, I have been going to Thailand very infrequently but I think they haven't had the beer garden thing there for many years now. Am I right ?

They still have it every year during the same time period. Not sure how it was back in the 90s, but it's really big now and gets big crowds of people. Multiple beer gardens, each with seating for hundreds of people and a large stage for the nightly bands. They often have really big name Thai bands play there

Thanks. Cool. Well, in the 90's, it was pretty much like how you wrote above. I am glad they still have it. So, this is another reason for planning my next visit to Thailand for that time of the year :)

why all the top largest shopping malls are in Asia?

Shopping malls, like sports cars are dick extenders. rolleyes.gif

Its cheaper to tie a brick to it

SC

TV Cricket

Down to our knees

Not down on our knees

Edited by StreetCowboy

Ahhhh, when I hear/read about Central World, I always think of the 1990's (its name was World Trade Center then) and the beer garden/festival set up in front of it every year between November and February. It was great atmosphere. I am sure some of you remember/know of it.

Since many years ago, I have been going to Thailand very infrequently but I think they haven't had the beer garden thing there for many years now. Am I right ?

Yes! You are right and I also miss that. What they have now is nothing like the glory years you remember when food vendors stretched a half kilometer, you chose a live entertainment zone in the type of beer zone you liked each attended to by sexy girls wearing beer uniforms in a sea of thousands of tables and the place was buzzing. For one thing, Central World expanded the building taking up a tremendous amount of space from the outdoor area. But what really killed it happened before that. Sometime in the last decade there was a moral crusade against alcohol, not just that you could only buy it during two segments of a day. They actually outlawed girls wearing sexy beer uniforms, banned the mere display of beer logos, and even banned outdoor beer garden events in general in Bangkok. This crushed the World Trade new years beer garden event which last time I saw was like a small outdoor restaurant and about as exciting as a firecracker and haven't bothered going back. The crackdown also wiped out many other smaller, unique and interesting new years beer gardens elsewhere in the city. I can remember when December in Bangkok was wonderful. Nice cool weather, all the christmas lights, and the pleasant surprises of finding the neatest outdoor beer gardens to enjoy the night at.

• Like 1