Today On Phucome Intersection...

No1

... I saw a brown shirted gentleman walking behind the bikes which were in the first line at the red traffic light and he took photos of the license plates of those ones who didn't wear a helmet. A pretty good way to record the evidence and to fine without any need to stop the offenders.

I have seen him in time before he could step behind my bike and take the photo, so he just tipped at his head indicating I always have to wear a helmet. Of course, I duely apologized with a smile.

Now, I hope I haven't started off a useless discussion on the sense of helmet laws. Just wanted the other ones out there to be aware of this practice. (new to me)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The policeman is doing all concerned a favor. Any motorbike rider who does not wear a helmet gets what they deserve.

Very sad to see Darwin's law in effect.

A trip to the head injury ward of a nearby hospital should be enough to convince, but apparently it isn't.

Edited by mesquite

Not sure of the intersection your talking about, but I know by Airport Plaza they have been doing it for almost a year.

When I talked to the officer, he said before they could get 1 or 2 per stop light, With the camera they can get 12 - 15. I aways wear mine, and know some of the same people stop at that light daily, but the time they get around to mailing the tickets there may be a dozen or more of them for some people.

What makes me happy is this way the funds go to the Government and not in someones pocket for lunch ( or anything else they may want) money

.What makes me happy is this way the funds go to the Government and not in someones pocket for lunch ( or anything else they may want) money

And the government plough it all back into driver education, road repairs etc. rolleyes.gif

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

The policeman is doing all concerned a favor. Any motorbike rider who does not wear a helmet gets what they deserve.

If you are referring to severe head injuries, I don't agree. Nobody deserves it. Do we? Usually, a driver who does not wear a helmet dies earlier than someone who doesn't. Sad for the relatives and friends only. Personally, I don't mind being dead. Dying is a bit of an issue.sick.gif

Not sure of the intersection your talking about, but I know by Airport Plaza they have been doing it for almost a year.

This one: http://goo.gl/maps/qWF9

What makes me happy is this way the funds go to the Government and not in someones pocket for lunch ( or anything else they may want) money

Fully agree.

And the government plough it all back into road education, road repairs etc. rolleyes.gif

No matter what I think of the government and what they do with our taxes and contributions, but still better they get the money than the copper to pay for his lunch.

No matter what I think of the government and what they do with our taxes and contributions, but still better they get the money than the copper to pay for his lunch.

There's millions of poor Thai's who would disagree with you.

There's millions of poor Thai's who would disagree with you.

Hmmm. Delicate issue. Maybe a bit far off topic. But worth investigating.

Oops... now, this is off topic but I still have this picture of a one-percenter enjoying his coffee at Starbucks while parking like a complete, uhem... one-percenter biggrin.pngbiggrin.png Not sure if this is the result millions of poor Thais wanted.

post-117470-0-13419900-1342516445_thumb.

Edited by No1

If you are referring to severe head injuries, I don't agree. Nobody deserves it. Do we? Usually, a driver who does not wear a helmet dies earlier than someone who doesn't. Sad for the relatives and friends only. Personally, I don't mind being dead. Dying is a bit of an issue.sick.gif

Always wear your helmet while riding a motorbike. If you disagree with this, then there is nothing that anyone can do to help you.

Always wear your helmet while riding a motorbike. If you disagree with this, then there is nothing that anyone can do to help you.

You are right nobody can help me then, but maybe my healthy lungs or liver can still save the life of a paralyzed smoker or an alcoholic who wears a helmet. Not a bad thought either. w00t.gif

I wonder what the % return is.

Green books are tied to tabian-baan home addresses which could be anywhere in Thailand, other than CM.

Then there's all the farangs who never register mb's in their own name anyway due to the PITA system for obtaining Immi-letter of residence.

We always wear helmets but noticed there's almost daily roadside checks around Suthep Rd and the moat-north-side, presumably also for rego/tax and licences.

We always wear helmets but noticed there's almost daily roadside checks around Suthep Rd and the moat-north-side, presumably also for rego/tax and licences.

They just stop the ones without helmet and then check for taxes and licenses, too. A Thai friend of mine has been driving her car for 4 years and still hasn't got a license nor was she ever stopped. I have asked her what happens to her if they eventually stop her and find out she hasn't got a license. She just shrugged her shoulders and replied "maybe a fine".

The problem I see is the poor quality of the helmets available here and the lack of enforcement on the helmet standards. A person could ride their motorcycle in this country with a child's plastic sand pail on their head (using the bailing handle as a chinstrap) and that would suffice as a "helmet" in most, if not all of Thailand. You're just as protected wearing nothing on your head if you don't have laws that enforce a minimum helmet safety standard / certification.

• Like 2

When I talked to the officer, he said before they could get 1 or 2 per stop light, With the camera they can get 12 - 15. I aways wear mine, and know some of the same people stop at that light daily, but the time they get around to mailing the tickets there may be a dozen or more of them for some people.

And you know for a fact the government is getting this money and not some suddenly well to do mail clerk.whistling.gif

I'll venture a guess the photo-taking BIB is just using a form of psychological enforcement.

Much cheaper for one officer to take photos of people without helmets, and make them think that they will be cited, than to set up a roadblock with multiple officers, pulling offenders over one by one.

Similar idea is the use of the super BIB in the parking enforcement tuk tuk, with the obnoxious klaxon/police siren.

He runs up and down Huay Kaew Rd.; often parks in front of KSK. Every time he sees someone who looks like maybe they are going to pull over in a no park zone- full siren. Sounds like a royal motorcade, all the special siren effects this dude has. Oh, and a loudspeaker that he is not shy to use. Instead of having multiple officers locking down people's illegally parked cars, and towing them away and citing...now we have this guy who is a one man noise pollution source, waging psywar....rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1

I wonder what the % return is.

Green books are tied to tabian-baan home addresses which could be anywhere in Thailand, other than CM.

Then there's all the farangs who never register mb's in their own name anyway due to the PITA system for obtaining Immi-letter of residence.

my thoughts exactly; this has to be a beneficial way to escape a fine. there must be thousands of bike riders with no link to the bike they are riding.

take all those who rent a bike, you dont give addresses of hotels do you?

take all those who never registered as a new owner

take all those who stil dont have a licence plate becasue the bike is new.

take all those who share one bike in a business set up.

and Thai people here are so quick to change addresses, flitting from one dorm to the next, in reality they all have no fixed abode.

and then there is the local posty, cant ever be bothered to get off his bike, so he at best will ride the pavement and shove some letter through the railings, or leave it on a table to blow away.

another great money making scheme gone tits up becasue they didnt think.

I still prefer to see the chaos as bikers realise there is a check point ahead, diving into the side, trying to u turn, quickly searching for the helmet, and those preferring to run the gauntlet right thro'

Dear Jeffrey,

My friend, in Thailand 50 % of the amount of the tickets are returned to the issuer; the policeman.

I will start putting my helmet on when the policeman who is pulling me over wears one.

I too take photo's and I have a nice collection of it: policemen not wearing helmets on the way to extort money from others.

TIT

• Like 1

re.. I too take photo's and I have a nice collection of it: policemen not wearing helmets on the way to extort money from others.

really ? .. so lets see them ? or is there a problem ?

dave2

I like. Let's see!!!!clap2.gifclap2.gif

You are right nobody can help me then, but maybe my healthy lungs or liver can still save the life of a paralyzed smoker or an alcoholic who wears a helmet. Not a bad thought either. w00t.gif

Very perceptive, I used to work in a major hospital and the nurses in the emergency department used to refer to motorcycle driver as organ donors.

• Like 1

My friend, in Thailand 50 % of the amount of the tickets are returned to the issuer; the policeman.

Are you sure about this? They get a fair share? No reason to be corrupt then.

I too take photo's and I have a nice collection of it: policemen not wearing helmets on the way to extort money from others.

Please, post them.... that's so funny! I guess it is o.k. to post them here if you make sure their faces or other identification is being made unrecognizable.

Edited by No1

One of the best things in life is riding a bike with no helmet

Indeed. Nice wind to your face when driving, but sometimes the wind contains larger sized bugs, cigarette butts thrown out of a car or someone clearing his throat from phlegm and spitting it out. bah.gif

One of the best things in life is riding a bike with no helmet

Indeed. Nice wind to your face when driving, but sometimes the wind contains larger sized bugs, cigarette butts thrown out of a car or someone clearing his throat from phlegm and spitting it out. bah.gif

and there is always someone pi$$ing in the wind isnt there?

Spare a thought for the unfortunate car driver who, driving as carefully as he/she can, accidentally hits one of these non-helmet wearing m'cycle riders weaving at warp-speeds between the lanes--big problem, big mess, brains on the road---yuk!!!! Not saying that a poxy Thai helmet saves lives--but possibly keeps the ooze factor down to a minimum.

Or maybe not.