Today On Phucome Intersection...

No1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always wear your helmet while riding a motorbike. If you disagree with this, then there is nothing that anyone can do to help you.

The problem I see is the poor quality of the helmets available here and the lack of enforcement on the helmet standards. A person could ride their motorcycle in this country with a child's plastic sand pail on their head (using the bailing handle as a chinstrap) and that would suffice as a "helmet" in most, if not all of Thailand. You're just as protected wearing nothing on your head if you don't have laws that enforce a minimum helmet safety standard / certification.

I think your not looking very well.

There are DOT and Snell helmets here avalable. But yes, most Thai who drive the old dreams cant afford the 6000 - 16000 Bt for them. However, any regular helmet, in working order, not over a year or two old, will help better than nothing. As your head is sliding down the road, I bet you would want something and not a face full of road rash

Not sure of the intersection your talking about, but I know by Airport Plaza they have been doing it for almost a year.

When I talked to the officer, he said before they could get 1 or 2 per stop light, With the camera they can get 12 - 15. I aways wear mine, and know some of the same people stop at that light daily, but the time they get around to mailing the tickets there may be a dozen or more of them for some people.

What makes me happy is this way the funds go to the Government and not in someones pocket for lunch ( or anything else they may want) money

Dear Jeffrey,

My friend, in Thailand 50 % of the amount of the tickets are returned to the issuer; the policeman.

I will start putting my helmet on when the policeman who is pulling me over wears one.

I too take photo's and I have a nice collection of it: policemen not wearing helmets on the way to extort money from others.

TIT

So it is just a game for you.

I guess you miss the point.

A helmet is safety gear, it is worn for your safety, I am sure you one of the best riders out there, but it is for your protection from others who are not as good as you

Or maybe you just don't value yourself, family, and children as much as I do

personally love the guys who have 6 beers and take their bike home

if you're puttering around at 30-50km there is absolutely no need for a helmet.

id argue a helmet INCREASES your chances of an accident at low speeds on account of reduced visibility, weight on your head, and the general lower awareness that a helmet inflicts, yes, INFLICTS on its wearer.

it comes down to awareness. if you can handle a bike and are aware enough to anticipate/prevent bad situations, then you'll be fine. if you dont possess those skills -- and riding a bike in thailand is very much a skill -- then no level of protection will prevent you from having accidents.

1.) There are also laws against drunk driving

2.) Please argue the point with my daughter, but she is dead. Was standing at a market and fell and hit her head on the cement floor. I am sure you will be quick to say this was because of poor medical care, but this was in L.A and was air lifted to the best trama hospital in southen California. Now I know no one wear a helmet to the market, except those too lazy to take theirs off when they ride there on their motorbikes, But it does prove a point

3.) Get a good helmet, none of mine decrease my vision or weigh very much. If your not strong enough to carry the kg of weight on your head, your not strong enough to ride.

4.) not matter how good a rider you are, no matter how good of a bike and it's equipmnet you have, Sooner or later something will happen. Even the world top racers have accidents. Bikes mal function, road conditions turn bad fast, or even stopped at a light, the car behind you does not see it's red.

1,000 excuses and they all don't wash when it comes right down to it

• Like 1

the pro helmet gang always cracks me up. i personally love the guys who have 6 beers and take their bike home (but always wear the helmet) clap2.gif

if you're consistently going above 60km/hr then, yes, you should have a helmet on. if you're puttering around at 30-50km there is absolutely no need for a helmet. in fact, id argue a helmet INCREASES your chances of an accident at low speeds on account of reduced visibility, weight on your head, and the general lower awareness that a helmet inflicts, yes, INFLICTS on its wearer.

it comes down to awareness. if you can handle a bike and are aware enough to anticipate/prevent bad situations, then you'll be fine. if you dont possess those skills -- and riding a bike in thailand is very much a skill -- then no level of protection will prevent you from having accidents.

Sure is a lot of very stupid posts on TV!

personally love the guys who have 6 beers and take their bike home

if you're puttering around at 30-50km there is absolutely no need for a helmet.

id argue a helmet INCREASES your chances of an accident at low speeds on account of reduced visibility, weight on your head, and the general lower awareness that a helmet inflicts, yes, INFLICTS on its wearer.

1.) There are also laws against drunk driving

2.) Please argue the point with my daughter, but she is dead. Was standing at a market and fell and hit her head on the cement floor. I am sure you will be quick to say this was because of poor medical care, but this was in L.A and was air lifted to the best trama hospital in southen California. Now I know no one wear a helmet to the market, except those too lazy to take theirs off when they ride there on their motorbikes, But it does prove a point

3.) Get a good helmet, none of mine decrease my vision or weigh very much. If your not strong enough to carry the kg of weight on your head, your not strong enough to ride.

4.) not matter how good a rider you are, no matter how good of a bike and it's equipmnet you have, Sooner or later something will happen. Even the world top racers have accidents. Bikes mal function, road conditions turn bad fast, or even stopped at a light, the car behind you does not see it's red.

1,000 excuses and they all don't wash when it comes right down to it

1) ok. so they are bad boys, too thumbsup.gif

so you don't smoke or do drugs, are abstinent until marriage and after verifying a full sex history on your partner, dont eat franchise or high cholesterol/fat foods, and always wear sunscreen when you go out, right?

everyone chooses their risks.

2) and people survive falls/jumps from 6 stories onto pavement...

do you have hand rails in your bath/shower? lots of people have been known to slip...

do you have proper treading on your shoes? worn out tread on slick pavement, dangerous mix.

3) it is the good helmets that DO decrease your range of vision and weigh more than 2 lbs (as much 4-5 lbs). but you can find poor, albeit worthless if you were in a true accident, helmets that weigh virtually nothing and dont decrease your awareness. this is the variety most people wear.

4) and this is where skill comes into play. you must assume everyone is going to do the wrong thing, not see you, etc. its a matter of awareness. some people have it, some dont. the top racers dont have accidents puttering around town on their scooters laugh.png

the pro helmet gang always cracks me up. i personally love the guys who have 6 beers and take their bike home (but always wear the helmet) clap2.gif

if you're consistently going above 60km/hr then, yes, you should have a helmet on. if you're puttering around at 30-50km there is absolutely no need for a helmet. in fact, id argue a helmet INCREASES your chances of an accident at low speeds on account of reduced visibility, weight on your head, and the general lower awareness that a helmet inflicts, yes, INFLICTS on its wearer.

yes I was thinking the same.

I pick up on the comment "if you can handle a bike.....can anticipate......youll be fine"

lets highlight the following exceptionally skilled drivers and riders, professionals in their own right, who all have the full monty of anticipation at their disposal.

F1 racing drivers...sadly many died due to others

Moto Gp racers...sadly many died due to others

race jockeys....sadly many died due to others

"tour" cyclists..sadly many died due to others

driving and riding here is risky come dangerous but its not feasible to assume everyone behind the wheel is drunk,or blind, or a girl without a licence;

It doesnt matter how much you anticipate each eventuality, you can never anticipate every eventuality; and having a helmet on could be your life saver.

I pick up on the comment "if you can handle a bike.....can anticipate......youll be fine"

lets highlight the following exceptionally skilled drivers and riders, professionals in their own right, who all have the full monty of anticipation at their disposal.

driving and riding here is risky come dangerous but its not feasible to assume everyone behind the wheel is drunk,or blind, or a girl without a licence;

It doesnt matter how much you anticipate each eventuality, you can never anticipate every eventuality; and having a helmet on could be your life saver.

so you're comparing puttering around at 30-60 km/hr to professional racing sports? cheesy.gif

The policeman is doing all concerned a favor. Any motorbike rider who does not wear a helmet gets what they deserve.

Very sad to see Darwin's law in effect.

A trip to the head injury ward of a nearby hospital should be enough to convince, but apparently it isn't.

Mesquite, what business is it of yours whether peoiple wear a helmet or not? Be honest do you want others sticking it to you if you ever buck the "PC system"? Darwins Law in reality would see the superior rider, helmeted or not, avoiding accidents and the poorer riders being taken out even if they wear a suit of armor.

Information about helmets is not new and of course it is safer to wear one. It is also better not to drink, smoke, eat junk food, watch reality TV and the list goes on and on. But should we make choices as individuals or do we need faceless bureaucrats to enforce their endless laws, bearing in mind that once the door to Big Brother opens it never stops and only expands to every aspect of your life.

Thailand currently is mostly not a deplorable Western style Nanny State and that is what I like about it, I can't for the life of me understand why other expats that have left their increasingly statist restrictive homelands would want this place to go the same way. There again maybe I am the only one that thinks that way.

I would say it is my business when those who suffer head trauma through not wearing a helmet are treated at a hospital funded by taxes I pay. If they are fully insured and go to a private hospital they're free incapacitate themselves to any degree they wish.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

The policeman is doing all concerned a favor. Any motorbike rider who does not wear a helmet gets what they deserve.

A trip to the head injury ward of a nearby hospital should be enough to convince, but apparently it isn't.

Mesquite, what business is it of yours whether peoiple wear a helmet or not? Be honest do you want others sticking it to you if you ever buck the "PC system"? Darwins Law in reality would see the superior rider, helmeted or not, avoiding accidents and the poorer riders being taken out even if they wear a suit of armor.

Information about helmets is not new and of course it is safer to wear one. It is also better not to drink, smoke, eat junk food, watch reality TV and the list goes on and on. But should we make choices as individuals or do we need faceless bureaucrats to enforce their endless laws, bearing in mind that once the door to Big Brother opens it never stops and only expands to every aspect of your life.

Thailand currently is mostly not a deplorable Western style Nanny State and that is what I like about it, I can't for the life of me understand why other expats that have left their increasingly statist restrictive homelands would want this place to go the same way. There again maybe I am the only one that thinks that way.

I would say it is my business when those who suffer head trauma through not wearing a helmet are treated at a hospital funded by taxes I pay. If they are fully insured and go to a private hospital they're free incapacitate themselves to any degree they wish.

we're in thailand. what taxes do you pay to support head traumas?

are you equally concerned about those who drink? those who dont wear sunscreen? those who eat themselves to an early death?

out of curiosity, how much do YOU exercise per day?

Edited by samsara

we're in thailand. what taxes do you pay to support head traumas?

are you equally concerned about those who drink? those who dont wear sunscreen? those who eat themselves to an early death?

out of curiosity, how much do YOU exercise per day?

Taxes I pay here go into the collective Govt pot, part of which funds the health system.

I exercise everyday and on average ride my bicycle about 250 kms per week.

And I always wear a helmet.

Edited by apetley

so you're comparing puttering around at 30-60 km/hr to professional racing sports? cheesy.gif

I was trying to illustrate that speed and your own skill/judgement are irrelevent really becasue there are likely to be events occur that cannot be anticipated.(even by the top pros) so wear the appropriate gear just in case. (like all of them do)

the liklihood of being hit by a car on the road is of course immensely higher than whilst you are walking on the pavement.

You put shoes on your feet every day to go out dont you? why do you do that? ...safety maybe?

Have you ever been to Thailand? Please have your accident (whilst "puttering" around) and report back (if you survived). smile.png

• Like 1

Have you ever been to Thailand? Please have your accident (whilst "puttering" around) and report back (if you survived). smile.png

so puttering is tantamount to pro racing, eh? giggle.gif

nice touch to "hope" i have an accident because i choose to not wear a helmet thumbsup.gif . u must be a truly class act. cheesy.gif

but, hey, if i were old, out of shape, and spent most of my time posting on TV i would wear a helmet, too.

Edited by samsara