More Then A Fair Share Of Tart An In Thailand ... Givin' It Laldy

David48

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see some of the picts got out, the English/Romans should have built Hadrian's Wall a bit higher

We're quite aware that the Romans built the wall to prove to the World that they had cattled the English but couldn't beat the Scots........you really shouldn't remind people about that. coffee1.gif

I am a Geordie I was on the wall trying to keep you out of sanddance's land

You Geordies were virtually Scots at the time, it was the Treaty of York in 1237 that created the border as we know it now.....amusingly once the Romans had built the wall they realized they would need to look both directions at once as you Geordies are as daft as us biggrin.pngdrunk.gif

I was told that the Geordies were responsible for you lot. Something to do with sex and a pig and throwing something over the wall?

Still, it was a Scouser that told me that, so I will go for the Treaty of York in 1237..................tongue.png

• Like 1

Talking about Tartan in Thailand..........eek has come up with a compelling plan for us to have a traditional Hogmanay do in Chiang Mai. Being eek, and ever gracious, she mentioned it might be difficult for the expat community to get hold of the full regalia for the do, however a bit of tartan should be easy enough done.

So here's the cunning plan........I'll book a place which in my opinion is the best location to see in the Bells at CM, you've all got 5 months notice of the event so you can't say you weren't forewarned biggrin.png

The place can hold about 80-100 people and theblether will front the first 25,000 baht for the do........eek will confirm that contrary to opinion we Scots are not tight with money tongue.png

Nationality is no barrier you'll be pleased to hear, we'll even let the English in......as long as your wearing a bit of Tartan biggrin.png

C433-177-Red.jpg

T'is on order!

• Like 2

There is some genuine Scots in me.

Thailand's number one superstar is Thongchai "Bird" McIntyre.

http://en.wikipedia....ngchai_McIntyre

He's Thai-Scottish.

Don't always believe Wiki.

P'Bird as I heard is not a look kreung but his father was. He is 1/4 Scottish, unlike my kids who are 50% Scots. (notice not Scotch, all you yanks - hear so often that they are 1/4 Scotch)

Why are we here?

Strangely, some of my best friends here are Irish an Welsh - we share the same hatred for you know who.

He's Thai-Scottish.

P'Bird as I heard is not a look kreung but his father was. He is 1/4 Scottish, unlike my kids who are 50% Scots. (notice not Scotch, all you yanks - hear so often that they are 1/4 Scotch)

Why are we here?

Strangely, some of my best friends here are Irish an Welsh - we share the same hatred for you know who.

Our anglophobia would be so much more convincing if we did not have so many English friends

SC

He's Thai-Scottish.

Why are we here?

Our anglophobia would be so much more convincing if we did not have so many English friends

SC

Is that Billy Connolleys son by any chance ? Edited by Ron19

Talking about Tartan in Thailand..........eek has come up with a compelling plan for us to have a traditional Hogmanay do in Chiang Mai. Being eek, and ever gracious, she mentioned it might be difficult for the expat community to get hold of the full regalia for the do, however a bit of tartan should be easy enough done.

So here's the cunning plan........I'll book a place which in my opinion is the best location to see in the Bells at CM, you've all got 5 months notice of the event so you can't say you weren't forewarned biggrin.png

The place can hold about 80-100 people and theblether will front the first 25,000 baht for the do........eek will confirm that contrary to opinion we Scots are not tight with money tongue.png

Nationality is no barrier you'll be pleased to hear, we'll even let the English in......as long as your wearing a bit of Tartan biggrin.png

C433-177-Red.jpg

T'is on order!

Eddie, if you go out on a limb, you can order this one as well:

post-76988-0-40469100-1343548633_thumb.j

This was the one I was going to get. I hope I will be out of hospital by New Year as my missus misunderstood and thought I was going to order this (the one below) to wear. It was obviously for her, honest.............tongue.png

post-76988-0-93700300-1343548870_thumb.j

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

What's the differences between a Scotsman and a Geordie ?

The Geordie is the one with the brains.

The Scotsman is the one with the Chip on the shoulder

Historical facts will show you are waaaaay off on that one!!

Who invented brown ale? A Geordie

Who invented the singlet to wear in the cold weather? A Geordie

What about :

TV

Penicillin

Telephone

Whisky

Golf

Anaesthesia

Tarmac Roads

Logarithms

Marmalade

The Bank of England

Postage Stamps

First cloned mammal

Neptune

US Navy

Quinine

Microwave ovens

Fridges

Sulphuric Acid

Paraffin

Pneumatic Tyres

The decimal Point

etc.

• Like 2

Thanks for your PM, David. You guessed correctly that I hadn’t seen this thread – the general section is definitely too rough for me! But I’ve enjoyed reading your thread here now.

Scottish of Scots parents, me and them having been born and raised in Glasgow but with mostly Irish ascendants and Irish surnames (both parents).

I quit a job of 11 years with the one company in Scotland to take a job with another (same industry) looking for a manager for their Thai operation 18 years ago. I fell in love with the place on my first day – it was just so different from anything I had seen (I was not yet 35 and had never been out of Europe). I was struck, in Bangkok, by the number of cranes as numerous as trees in a forest (this was before the Asian crisis, which started in Thailand some 3 years later), by the proliferation of Benz’ or Mercs as we call them, by the sheer chaos of the infrastructure (now much improved), by the contrast of the “slum” dwellers living cheek-to-jowl with the very wealthy and their mansions, and by the gorgeousness of the smiling women. I knew that day that I would never leave Thailand, except in that final puff of smoke.

When Thais upcountry ask me what do I prefer, Thais/Thailand or Scots/Scotland, I also reply (much to their sorrow) that, despite Thailand’s beauty, I consider Scotland more beautiful and that whilst Thais tend to be very selfish (at least true around my area), Scots tend to be very generous with their time, their willingness to assist strangers, and (despite what our English brethren like to joke) with our money.

I’ve made a very good life here on a farm well away from anything for myself, wife of 18 years, and two daughters aged 11 & 16. I’m usually to be found on the farming forum. We all visit my aged parents in Scotland every 3 years on average.

Hogmanay in Chiang Mai sounds good to me – it would be good to meet up (no other Scots around me, AFAIK).

Khonwan (a local abbreviation for naKHONsaWAN; I’m really not a “sweet guy”)

• Like 1

Thanks for dropping by Khonwan and I hope that you get to share some Hogmanay in Chiang Mai with a bunch of your fellow Scots.

They are a grand bunch of guys from the ones I know from this Forum.

For my part, we Aussies all come from somewhere ... my Great Grandfather was born in Scotland ... but now that is but a distant memory.

How do the bagpipes tolerate the heat? Actually playing the pipes at dawn in the village may endear you to the locals so much, they may be the answer to many problems.

Could be useful....Just make arangements with the village headman to play them over the loadspeakers early in the morning.......

What about :

TV

Penicillin

Telephone

Whisky

Golf

Anaesthesia

Tarmac Roads

Logarithms

Marmalade

The Bank of England

Postage Stamps

First cloned mammal

Neptune

US Navy

Quinine

Microwave ovens

Fridges

Sulphuric Acid

Paraffin

Pneumatic Tyres

The decimal Point

etc.

To mention but a few!!!

What about :

TV

Penicillin

Telephone

Whisky

Golf

Anaesthesia

Tarmac Roads

Logarithms

Marmalade

The Bank of England

Postage Stamps

First cloned mammal

Neptune

US Navy

Quinine

Microwave ovens

Fridges

Sulphuric Acid

Paraffin

Pneumatic Tyres

The decimal Point

etc.

Have't got time to check them all out, but for the first 3

Tv. Check out Edwin Belin

Penicillin. Ok I'll give you Flemings achievement, but it is worth looking up penicillin, under history and discovery.

Telephone, check out. Innocnzo manzetti

Penicillin. Ok I'll give you Flemings achievement, but it is worth looking up penicillin, under history and discovery.

Are you saying I'm wrong?

Check out Alexander graham Bell (telephone)

and John Logie Baird (tv)

Without Scottish inventors, life would be very different today, especially in medicine.

Hey Guys ... I'm sure great inventions form both side of the Wall.

But please ... .

Let's show our best side.

And to be fair ... it's about the Scot's living in or having a strong connection with Thailand ... let's not turn it into a pissing contest.

• Like 1

Anyone know if there is anywhere I can buy this homemade over here?

My scottish grandmother made the best i've ever had.She passed the

recipe to my mother but mum never wrote anything down and kept all

her recipies in her head.When my mother passed away everything was lost.post-140056-0-58195600-1343720912_thumb.

Are you saying I'm wrong?

Check out Alexander graham Bell (telephone)

and John Logie Baird (tv)

Obviously you did not check out the two names I gave you, sure Baird helped in the development of the TV, but no more than Edwin Belin,as for Bell he simple stole the invention, as most historians now accept.

If you wish to know Scotish inventions look up the following

YouTube.com/watch?v=s-aaUFbi6u4

Without Scottish inventors, life would be very different today, especially in medicine.

her recipies in her head.When my mother passed away everything was lost.post-140056-0-58195600-1343720912_thumb.

Easy to make yourself!! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/scottish-shortbread-iv/

Easy to make yourself!! http://allrecipes.co...-shortbread-iv/

Have you tried that recipe yourself and if so how does it turnout? I notice that it uses brown sugar,other recipies I've looked at use white or castor sugar and it also uses a different method.I am a bit limited because we don't have a full size oven only a mini griller type oven.I've cooked a full roast in that which turned out fine after getting around problems with the size.Any way, i'll give it a shot and see what happens and thanks for the recipe.

Easy to make yourself!! http://allrecipes.co...-shortbread-iv/

Don't know where the picture went on this post and my original post.