Peppercorn Or Prick Thai

cobbler

This is the most expensive pepper in Thai.150 to 300 baht per kilo farm price,most commonly used herb in the world

Doesn't like too much sun ,so shaded areas are perfect for this to grow.

4 rai will make you a very nice income.They are a vine grown up a post.Can grow 4 to a post.

If have water sprinklers you would do well but not a necessity .

Anybody have knowledge on this subject please share .

Just 1 of many ways Thai farmers make serious money

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/ingredients/peppercorns.html

Thanks Cobbler, I really like the peppercorn trees as they are elegant, it's leaves are gorgeous and if you sqeeze it in your hand you can smell the mild scent but doesn't make you sneeze.

Anyone know where to buy seedlings?

Thanks Cobbler, I really like the peppercorn trees as they are elegant, it's leaves are gorgeous and if you sqeeze it in your hand you can smell the mild scent but doesn't make you sneeze.

Anyone know where to buy seedlings?

Hi Thai Aust,I didn't know that.Acyually we don't have any yet,We have just started planting seeds

and cuttings.But have a plan to grow at least 4000 plants on 1000 posts..If you look up on a Thai websight .Sorry I forget which 1 you can see people make big money.Only have a harvest season of 3 months per year.So you have plenty of time to spare.

I planted 4 of these plants from a nursery a few years ago. I planted them for personal consumption as I'd seen one growing on a neighbours tree.

only one survived and I can see about 10 peppercorn storks growing at the moment, for the first time, probably enough for a sauce for a steak. The neighbours plant is about 30 feet high and wrapped around a tree but not a great deal of weight in peppercorns.

maybe 4 plants around the tree or post would start to make sense.

Are the seeds easily obtainable ?

I planted 4 of these plants from a nursery a few years ago. I planted them for personal consumption as I'd seen one growing on a neighbours tree.

only one survived and I can see about 10 peppercorn storks growing at the moment, for the first time, probably enough for a sauce for a steak. The neighbours plant is about 30 feet high and wrapped around a tree but not a great deal of weight in peppercorns.

Can grow these yourself.Put the black seeds in water overnight and you will see shoots next day.If not leave them longer.Plant the seeds out in small bags and sit back and wait untill 6 inc or a foot high ,then plant out.Have a Thai tambon (kings project farm )you can go and but seedlings for 20 baht each.Sorry I don't know the website but will find out.Or can grow from cuting,.

Get some seeds ,put them in water 24 hrs or untill u see shoots appear.Then put into small bag and let grow 6 or so inches high..Plant in ground.Thai tambon(kings project ) have a farm I think at Rayong you can buy seedlings 20 baht each.Sorry I forget website,as usual.

Cheers Cobbler

Actually Jubby you can now pinch the tos off your plants down to about 50 cm high,if they aren't that tall just pinch the tops off anyway.They will get bushy after that.Put some poo on them or fertilizer..Water them They don't like too hot ,so shade is good..Even move it to under a tree or put some shade cloth over it.

Cheers Cobbler

Could pepper be intercropped in the rubber trees?

Hi Mosha,Yes that's exactly what we're going to do.Our yang being spaced at 7x3 meters .We will put them down the middle of the rows of yang.same spacing as the yang.3 meters apart .Comercial prick thai farms put them a lot closer than this but we have already yang so we are thinking 3meters is maybe a good distance.This will be a bit of a slow process but we feel sure after seeing many things growing in yang ,we can make it work.Pepercorn don't like too hot .So the filtered light Yang create should be good.Posts are good at 3 mters out of the ground 80cm below.Don't worry about cementing them in,just pack it with dirt.2 meters is also ok above ground.

As Jubby said too dark would be no good I think,but filtered light as the yang gets taller should be great.We will put sprinklers in to help a bit in the dry season ,but you probably don't need it down your way.Can buy these at rayong someplace 20baht each or just shoot them yourself.

Cheers Cobbler

P.S. Think I can remember you saying you had 800 trees so you probably have enough room for at least 700 posts.X 4 pepers per post you have 2800 pepercorns.Mate that would make you good money even if you only get half what the comercial farms get.

Edited by cobbler

Thanks Cobbler, I'll try putting black seeds as advised.

Hi ThaiAust,Great have a go.Don't drown the seeds .After the first night just make the water level not to cover the seed completly .Just enough to keep the seeds wet but not covered.Cheep exercise,can't loose,and maybe make a good bit of money.

Cheers Cobbler

Next daft question. Anywhere buying in bulk down here?

For sure you will have middle men floating around in your area.Those hilux utes with 56 springs under them to carry extra weight..They will buy them and take them back to BAngkok or to some market someplace.I think pickers get a percentage of the sale price,but not sure.

So I broached the subject last night. "Why do you want to change from rubber to prick thai?" "I don't, we do both." "I don't understand." So got the pen and paper out, drew 9 circles for the trees, and 4 x's in the gaps. So she seems to think it will work.

So I broached the subject last night. "Why do you want to change from rubber to prick thai?" "I don't, we do both." "I don't understand." So got the pen and paper out, drew 9 circles for the trees, and 4 x's in the gaps. So she seems to think it will work.

Hi Mosha.We won't change from yang,The rubber tree rows are 7meters apart .So,in between the rows ,right down the middle we will put pepercorn posts in,in line and same spacing as the rubber trees.Do you already have some pepercorns in,if so how many.?.We already have some bananas ,They are going well but only small yet.I would never get rid of the yang,it's easy money and it's already there.But I'm a firm believer of mixed farming.We have just filled in a dam we were using for fish ,I can't see we can ever make money from them.Also we have a public dam the size of a footy field joining us ,so we get our water from there.This dam we have filled in has given us enough room to put in 3,000 prick hom(small chilli)They will be big enough to transplant in about 2 weeks.Should be good for harvest in about 4 months after transplanting..Also have another 10,000 to 15,000 chillis just sprouting up now,will plant them in between the yang .Keep at it . Cheers Cobbler Edited by cobbler