Expats To Discuss With Thai Immigration Bureau

Foreginers in Thailand to approach Immigration to give recommendations:

BANGKOK: -- A Foreign Chambers Meeting will be held shortly with the Royal Thai Immigration Bureau to discuss Immigration issues. The Joint Foreign Chambers of Commerce in Thailand is outlining suggested Immigration Recommendations on several issues.

It contains issues relevant to foreigners in Thailand. This document was submitted in 2003 to the Immigration Bureau, and will form the base of the new discussions shortly.

(PDF file attached, see below).

Recommendations for Cooperation

1. Residence Permit

a. Application

b. Cancellation of Retirement Category

c. Identity Cards for Foreigners Holding Residency Status

d. Work Permits for Foreigners Holding Residency Status

e. Requirement to Officially Cancel Unused, Expired Non-Quota Immigrant Endorsements

2. Visa Application and Renewal

a. Non-B Visa for Group C

b. One Stop Office Visa / Work Permit for non-BOI Applicants

c. Non-B Visa for Foreigners Married to Thai Nationals

d. Requirement for Business Visas

e. Application for a Non-Immigrant Visa Class ‘B’ by a Thai Embassy / Consulate Abroad

3. 90 Day Reporting

-- Source: Joint Foreign Chambers of Commerce in Thailand (JFCCT)

What is JFCCT? More info here:

http://www.ethailand.com/index.php?id=1782

Download the PDF file here:

immigration_recommendations.pdf

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I hope they update this 2003 vintage document BEFORE they discuss it.

Particularly the section that states that I CANNOT obtain a work permit whilst holding a Non-O (married to a Thai).

I have a retirement visa and dont understand why they want to cancel this category replace with what??? could not get the pdf file to download.

It means that you can't count three years of retirement extensions towards residency, since a few years back. They want that change that, so the retirees will qualify in the future.

From what I read - the document needs drastically updated and expanded in the light of the changes to Non-imm B and O during July 2004 - especially the particularly racial rules such as

Opening paragraph - "if a foreign man wishes to marry a Thai female and live in Thailand, this is not allowed unless the foreign man has a lot of money"

And the scale of salaries by nationality.

Such wordings would have a government hounded out of office in a western country.

I don't have a clue what they are talking about in reference to the Non-O visa. As far as I know you can get a Work permit based on a Non-O (supporting Thai spouse). I got one based on it!

Griser, you are correct. Please read the original post again, thanks.

This document was submitted in 2003 to the Immigration Bureau, and will form the base of the new discussions shortly.

In the big picture, Thai immigration officials should be made aware of some grim realities: (A) regardless of the the official statements of policies, actual policies differ from consulate to consulate (:o responses vary depending on the outward appearance of the foreigner, his tone of voice, his appearance, etc. In other words, a process that should be objective, winds up being frustratingly subjective. Granted, Thai officials should make the rules, but then try to make sure the same rules are applied across the board - in a fair and consistant manner.

I don't have a clue what they are talking about in reference to the Non-O visa. As far as I know you can get a Work permit based on a Non-O (supporting Thai spouse). I got one based on it!

Griser, you are correct. Please read the original post again, thanks.

This document was submitted in 2003 to the Immigration Bureau, and will form the base of the new discussions shortly.

Does this mean then, that having been married to Thai national for the last five years, I could get a general work permit for any job, on the basis that I need to earn a living to support my wife?

In the big picture, Thai immigration officials should be made aware of some grim realities: (A) regardless of the the official statements of policies, actual policies differ from consulate to consulate (:o responses vary depending on the outward appearance of the foreigner, his tone of voice, his appearance, etc. In other words, a process that should be objective, winds up being frustratingly subjective. Granted, Thai officials should make the rules, but then try to make sure the same rules are applied across the board - in a fair and consistant manner.

Abso-bloomin-lutely!

Take all the correct paperwork to the Thai consulate in Kota Bharu or Penang, no problem at all. Do exactly the same in say Singapore or Hong Kong and see the grief that you get...!

Thankfully now I don't need to worry about all this having a non-B and WP for the last couple years but the amount of people I talk to about this is unbelievable!

Quote: "Take all the correct paperwork to the Thai consulate in Kota Bharu or Penang, no problem at all. Do exactly the same in say Singapore or Hong Kong and see the grief that you get."

HUH? Am I missing something here? I was told that Penang no longer does non-imm O visas & that one would need to use Singapore for this. True or False? Thanks.

What are the chances that these meetings take place, that the Thai authorities even listen with one ear, or that the Foreign Ministry, the Labour Ministry, and the Immigration Police even discuss things with one another? Is there much hope that these meetings will bring most of the desired results? Do the Thai officials even know how hard it is for a properly qualified teacher, for example, to get a work permit? And why, why, must one leave the country every 90 days, when they've got a one year visa?

So if these recommendations are followed then people with type O visa married to Thai national will get work permits?

'O' visa holders can already get work permits (I have one). :o

HUH? Am I missing something here? I was told that Penang no longer does non-imm O visas & that one would need to use Singapore for this. True or False? Thanks.

Dotcom, where did you hear this?? Penang have certainly tightened up on 'B' visas, not heard about any changes regarding 'O's though. Obviously important to me being a happily married man who really wants to stay here.

Edited by Crossy

I went to the Thai Embassy in Phnom Pehn. What a mistake! I showed up bright and early only to wait for what seemed like forever.

All the Asian folks received service and departed and there we, me and another non-Asian, were waiting to at least get our passports back. The consular official strolled in a few hours later and informed the other fellow that he was not going to issue him a visa. After the requisite begging, I don’t know if “tea money” was involved, he relented and gave him a one month visa, and told him to go back to his home country if he wanted to get another visa.

He [the consular official] then addressed me and asked why I was in Cambodia. I had thought about it before so the answer just rolled off my tong, “I came to see Angkor Wat”. Not good enough he replied!

I thought to myself that this is not good. He told me that not only was he not going to give me a visa, this time, but that I should not show up again in the future because he was never going to give me a visa.

I took that to mean that if I did show up again that he would stamp my passport with an undesirable alien stamp so I said “it’s OK", and asked for my passport back. As I was leaving all I could think of to say was “Thank you very much”.

Edited by JimmyRopes

Well, glad to hear of some consideration of updating things.

I do hope that 90-day requierment is abolished. Doesn't seem necessary.

I also root for work-permits being a non-issue for non-B non-O visa holders, married to Thais. Obviously it makes sense for us to be able to work here to help support our spouse and family.

I thought work permits were not necessary though, for people with this status, last time I checked.

That is not my understanding. My non imm O (Thai Wife) specifically says that I am NOT allowed to work.

Should I want to work I would need to go outside the country, apply for a B visa & let my employer arrange my work permit.

If I am mistaken I apologize in advance. Looking to do a retirement visa in a couple more years.

Which is the source according to which ,the immigration bureau should discuss the suggesion from gfcct ?

I thing that suggestiion are too old , to discuss of it now ,and to worry about them.

However those people of the gfcc (foreingers like us) are just the stinking.

I have a permanent visa (white book, police book etc) and would love it if theywould do what other countries do. Issue a permanent ID card, do away with having to have an extension just because youtake trips, do away with the re-entry permits. These type rules cost me over 5700 Baht a year to "renew" because I live outside of Thailand a lot now. The police book is also garbage! why do you have to stamp a book and also a passport? Makes no sense.

Currently I live in Kuwait and come to Thailand every three months. Here I have a 2 year ID card, no re-entry costs, no immigtration cards to complete, no customs forms (same Thailand now) and no book to stamp along with the passport. Quick and easy entry and exit each time I go on a business or pleasure trip.

I don't know who wrote the headline that appeared in the eletter (From: Thaivisa.com News Editor <[email protected]> Date: Jan 15, 2006 7:47 PM), i.e., "Expats to grill Thai Immigration Bureau for changes". When I got to the forum, I saw the word "discuss", not "grill". The implications of the Foreign Chambers of Commerce in Thailand "discussing" and "grilling" Thai officials are quite different. Expats who would be favorably affected by the proposed changes should hope that Thai Immigration officials don't subscribe to the eletter, or if they do, that they do not take affront.

Edited by caughtintheact

I thought I would find some answers here. So far I am more confused.

Are they still handing out "O" visas in Penang or not?

This is very important question for me too!

NOV 23, 2005 or so they were I do know that!

This is where a Mod who knows his stuff could actually be helpful!

Where are you guys when we need you?