Price Of Vitamins In Thailand?

GoSoon

I'm just about to head out, and my local supermarket is having a half-off sale on vitamins. I've heard "pack light" but that's a foregone hope at this point, so I may as well stuff my briefcase full of money-savers.

How much do vitamins cost there, such as Vitamin C, Multivitamins, Flax/Krill Oil, Magnesium, Calcium, L-Lysine, Vitamin K2, B12, Selenium, and Copper?

With the abundance of fresh food/fruits available in Thailand why would you need vitamins in the first place?

Each to their own ofcourse but it seems like a waste of money to me unless you're living on a diet of mama noodle.

• Like 2

I've found vitamins to be very expensive here compared to the cost in Australia. Things like fish oil are about twice to three times the price.

Very true, In Germany you got minerals (e.g. Magnesium) for a fraction of the Thai price.

And that is what I am looking for, minerals like Calcium and Magnesium.

The quality of vitamins in SE Asia is disappointing, it's one of those things that you need to bring.

I cannot find quality on the level of Solaray brand in Thailand, but Solaray multi-vits are available in Malaysia, where I stock up. I have not seen good B-complex anywhere in these parts.

Bring what you want with you, in checked luggage.

With the abundance of fresh food/fruits available in Thailand why would you need vitamins in the first place?

Each to their own ofcourse but it seems like a waste of money to me unless you're living on a diet of mama noodle.

yes but who wants to eat that ugly green stuff? I am no rabbit biggrin.png

The quality of vitamins in Thailand is very poor and the price is very high.

Blackmores is the only reasonable brand but there are better vitamins than Blackmores available.

Like others i suggest you bring your own supply from your home country.

I'm not a big fish eater, so I take Omega 3 as a supplement.

As suggested by others, I would buy all your vitamins at your home country. Prices are very high and the "cheap" ones quoted in another post probably are placeboes (junk).

Also, my suggestion is to keep the receipt with you to prove what you paid for the vitamins because if you do get customs checked, you can prove how inexpensive they were. There is a high tariff, so they will charge what they "think" they cost.

Blackmores is the only reasonable brand but there are better vitamins than Blackmores available.

Do tell.

(sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread)

Well not in Thailand there arent but in Australia or buy online Metagenics products or Ethical Nutrients brand. They are the real deal.

Edited by Tolley

I too find the vitamins available here very expensive especially the name brand genuine multivitamins. I ordered vitamins from the US and despite my telling not to ship via FedEx, they did. I think FedEx is in bed with Thai customs. The duty and taxes cost me more than the vitamins. Needless to say I will never order from that US company again. I subsequently ordered from an Aussie company and they shipped them regular post air mail. I paid no duty.

I purchase most vitamins in Thai for about 1/3 the price of the USA - California. And some are not available here in the needed milligrams so have them bought in the USA on line and shipped by my friend FedEx. Three shipments and no hold by Customs. Examples are:

1) Niacin I take 1 x 1,000 mg/twice daily. Here they're only available in the pharmacy in 50mg so I would need to take 40/day and at a considerably higher cost. 500mg are available from a hospital for 31bt ea! I pay US$11 for TwinLab 100x1,000mg on the net with free shipping in the USA, then about $50 FedEx to Chiang Mai which includes 4 bottles of 100 ea plus a couple of batteries for my Samsung Note which are not available here. I believe the government prevents the sale in pharmacies of stronger portions of Niacin due to the flushing experienced by Thais - probably due to lack of knowledge and taking large doses on an empty stomach.

2) Vit D3 not available here in small mg quantities. I buy a bottle of 200 x200iu tabs on the net for a few bucks a bottle and have them shipped along with the niacin. In Chiang Mai I have found 100 capsules of One-Alpha 0.25 mcg, which is roughly equivalent -- look it up -- and at quite a high price.

Don't know where you are but cheaper by far in the US than here - one example Kirkland 1000mg Vit C 500 Tablets - Costco $14.98 - same bottle here 900-1000 bt. Another is Centrum Silver which here is about 900bt for 100 Tablets Some difficult to get if totally not unavailable except for Blackmores - they are good brand but very expensive. Had a hard time getting B-12 which was only available until recently in GNC. Stateside, and I assume Eu, you can get larger quantity bottles at discount drug stores or places similar to CostCo at very good prices.

Good Luck!

Good vitamins cost the same here as anywhere else, sometimes more. I buy Blackmores as well.

And Tolley, speak English. Are you trying to sayt that Blackmores in Thailand are fakes, or you can't buy them here?

I thought it was pretty clear what i was saying but let me restate it for you. Blackmores are the only good brand available on the shelf in Thailand but there are better brands of vitamins available in other countries e.g. Metagenics, Mediherb