Cycling In Cm

Hikage

I'm staying for 6 months... is it easy enough to buy/hire a decent mountain bike for a reasonable cost?

Is cycling around CM pleasant enough or still pretty dangerous with the traffic?

Is it law that a helmet must be worn when cycling?

Is parking a bike around town a problem?

Thanks

A good Mt bike can be got for 15,000 bht and you can sell it or take it w/you. It's great to ride off the beaten path and explore some of the rural areas around here for some lifetime worthy memories. Not helmet required but it's pretty scary riding in town as you will not be respected on the road. Use a lock around town.

Hikage .......... The CM area is great for bike riding, both mountain and road. The sport is growing rapidly so if you buy you should have little problem selling when ready to leave. You may even want to store it so it will be here when you come back.

I've been riding a Trek Hybrid for five years in the northern Hang Dong/San Patong/Lamphun triangle every week mostly for the cardio exercise. I wear a helmet for a multitude of obvious reasons one of which is it shelters the brain from the sun and a cool brain functions better than a hot one. Also works for motorcycle riders but that is another thread.

Riding a two wheel machine anywhere is dangerous and even more so in Asia. SIZE does matter in Thailand so having the smallest profile on the highway puts you at the bottom of importance. Best to defer to everyone bigger than you and drop your ego. Ride close to the edge of the highway and keep in mind as a guest in the country if you are involved in an encounter you are going to lose both physically and financially. In the years I've been riding here I've not had a problem though I've had to 'lock em up' occasionally.

I understand from the mountain riders CM offers some of the best riding any where. I prefer the minor roads criss-crossing the the paddy fields and even after 5 years I still find one I haven't been on before. I use a Garmin 60 CSx GPS which would be an asset in the mountains as well. I stay off of main highways such as Highway 11 and Hang Dong Road. Canal Road is still OK but the ring roads are becoming more crowded so use caution. Downtown CM I avoid for obvious reasons.

And I never let my bike out of my sight without locking it to an immovable object.

Ride safe and wave when you go by..............Jolly Roger

Chiang Mai is great for cycling, especially if you take the sound advice offered by the other posters.

Six months is long enough to realize the value of buying a bike rather than renting.

Biking here works better for recreation than for transportation, since the climate will usually leave you soaking in sweat. Great for a workout, not great for running errands around town.

Roads in the city aren't that dangerous, since traffic moves pretty slowly and people are used to having all kinds of vehicles around. Bicycle is not a bad way to move around the city. The highways outside of town are another story. These tend to be long, straight, fast roads and can be very dangerous. I know of one cyclist who was run down and killed while riding on the shoulder (by an off-duty cop coming home from working the night shift, sober but sleepy). I try to avoid the highways, and usually transport my bike by car for mountain biking on the trails.

Another reason to always wear a helmet, and to exercise even more caution than you might at home, is that the standard of emergency care here is relatively poor, so you can't assume that there's good infrastructure in place to deal with accidents.

Chiang Mai is great for cycling, especially if you take the sound advice offered by the other posters.

Six months is long enough to realize the value of buying a bike rather than renting.

Biking here works better for recreation than for transportation, since the climate will usually leave you soaking in sweat. Great for a workout, not great for running errands around town.

Roads in the city aren't that dangerous, since traffic moves pretty slowly and people are used to having all kinds of vehicles around. Bicycle is not a bad way to move around the city. The highways outside of town are another story. These tend to be long, straight, fast roads and can be very dangerous. I know of one cyclist who was run down and killed while riding on the shoulder (by an off-duty cop coming home from working the night shift, sober but sleepy). I try to avoid the highways, and usually transport my bike by car for mountain biking on the trails.

Another reason to always wear a helmet, and to exercise even more caution than you might at home, is that the standard of emergency care here is relatively poor, so you can't assume that there's good infrastructure in place to deal with accidents.

CM is a great place to ride, even within the city. Running errands by bike is fine too. Does it really matter if you get sweaty on the way to the Post Office or the local market to pick up some eggs?

I do agree with Puwa that the main highways can be intimidating. There's little or no shoulder and cars and trucks are going 100km/h.

I actually think that the emergency care here that would be required for most bike accidents is very good. Hospital emergency rooms are used to treating victims of motorcycle accidents. Bicycle accidents cause the same injuries. I've had three accidents here (one on a bicycle, one on a motorbike and one unrelated but the injuries where similar) and all three times the treatment was equal or better than what I would receive in the west.

Puwa, I assume the fatal accident you mention is the one that happened to a farang in 2005 or 2006? That's one fatal accident in 6 or 7 years. How many cyclists have died in your hometown over that period?

Not to sound like a grandma but a few months back I had the misfortune to be hit by a car while on my bike. The driver was distracted and didn't see me until they were right on me. I got banged up pretty badly and am still healing but even though my head hit the pavement, I didn't have any injuries there. Point is, make sure you wear a helmet.

I used to never wear helmets and felt pretty safe as I zipped through traffic but when it's you on a bike against a car, the car always wins.

Not to sound like a grandma but a few months back I had the misfortune to be hit by a car while on my bike. The driver was distracted and didn't see me until they were right on me. I got banged up pretty badly and am still healing but even though my head hit the pavement, I didn't have any injuries there. Point is, make sure you wear a helmet.

I used to never wear helmets and felt pretty safe as I zipped through traffic but when it's you on a bike against a car, the car always wins.

Wearing a helmet is just good advice, nothing to do with being a grandma. It doesn't require that hard of a hit of your head against pavement to spoil the rest of your life.

• Like 1

Puwa, I assume the fatal accident you mention is the one that happened to a farang in 2005 or 2006? That's one fatal accident in 6 or 7 years. How many cyclists have died in your hometown over that period?

Yes, that's the one I was referring to. Apparently the victim had forgotten his helmet. My wife told me the other day that the news reported a bicycle fatality on the Doi Suthep road. But overall, I have no idea how many cyclists have been killed or badly injured in the last few years. I'm not saying that cycling is dangerous per se, just that the highways can be sketchy.

+1

A few week ago it is the first time of my life to wear a helmet when cycling around canal with many traffic, I feel it good even a bit uncomfortable, may be not used to wear it in country side.

What characteristics should I look for when buying a bicycle helmet here in LOS - which are the better brands to choose from and which brand name bicycle helmets should I avoid in your opinion?

I have no idea how many cyclists have been killed or badly injured in the last few years. I'm not saying that cycling is dangerous per se, just that the highways can be sketchy.

I cycle every day and IMO it is somewhat dangerous because Thais often do the unexpected and you have to pay close attention all the time, but it is no more dangerous than riding a motorcycle. It is a lot cheaper than tuk-tuks and sonteaws , much more convenient than walking and good exercise. For my needs. it is the best way to get around town.

What characteristics should I look for when buying a bicycle helmet here in LOS - which are the better brands to choose from and which brand name bicycle helmets should I avoid in your opinion?

Assuming that you're not worried that the helmet will hurt your aerodynamics and cost you the yellow jersey at the TDF, just get something that fits. You can easily pay in excess of US$100 for a well ventilated and very aerodynamic helmet but it's not worth it unless you're really into the sport.

I paid about 1,000 baht for the helmet that I was wearing. I wanted something that I could snug up easily, had pads I could remove to clean and had plenty of ventilation. Plus, and I really think this is nice, it has a small visor in front. The last helmet I had didn't have that and they are really nice.

I'd say pay a bit more for the helmet, rather than trying to save a few baht. Good helmets should have an information tag attached, detailing the make-up of the helmet. The one I have has a kind of styrofoam that cushions the blow, but doesn't compress and lose its thickness as plain ordinary styrofoam does. I bought mine at Chaitawat Bikes, around the corner from the Anodard Hotel.

https://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces?hl=en&ll=18.784513,98.991467&spn=0.001067,0.004635&ctz=-420&t=h&layer=c&cbll=18.784514,98.990448&panoid=DZ-SQ85GeMSPHoYFEGCnDA&cbp=11,232.14,,0,6.48&z=18

I paid about 1,000 baht for the helmet that I was wearing. I wanted something that I could snug up easily, had pads I could remove to clean and had plenty of ventilation. Plus, and I really think this is nice, it has a small visor in front. The last helmet I had didn't have that and they are really nice.

Thanks, I like the idea of a visor! I will choose a quality helmet that has one!

I'd say pay a bit more for the helmet, rather than trying to save a few baht. Good helmets should have an information tag attached, detailing the make-up of the helmet. The one I have has a kind of Styrofoam that cushions the blow, but doesn't compress and lose its thickness as plain ordinary Styrofoam does. I bought mine at Chaitawat Bikes, around the corner from the Anodard Hotel.

https://maps.google....14,,0,6.48&z=18

My primarily concern is protecting my head in the eventuality of a crash - cost is secondary.

Your Styrofoam cushion sounds good! What is the brand name of your helmet?

Do you know of a rating system for the composition of the external shell of bicycle helmets?

Edited by Ahnsahn

I have a hybrid bike that I bought in the States years ago (sort of like a light-duty mountain) which I use recreationally around town and environs. I get such immense pleasure and sense of peace just meandering for hours in any direction, choosing whatever road strikes my fancy. You can discover so many nooks and crannies and interesting places that you would NEVER see any other way. I occasionally worry about dogs when going down unknown small sois but so far so good (I'm thinking of adding some kind of collapsible stick to my gear, just in case). I highly recommend biking and I have never felt in any danger from traffic. I'm sure it's there...use your head and hope for the best. The only other thing you could do is stay at home....

Happy trails!

You sum up the experience exactly....! clap2.gif

• Like 1

Understood about using helmets on busy highways and the like.... just seems looking at google maps that much of the city is accessible riding through the quieter side streets. there is something to be said about the enjoyment of riding without a helmet but you always need to weigh up the associated risks.

-- I've heard a few horror stories in just the past 3 months about people getting mauled by cars while out on bikes. I'd imagine its a great place to ride a bike until an idiot drives into you. (Of couse there will be a retard who says 'but that can happen anywhere!!' , to which my response is, yes, but it's not nearly as likely in other places.)

I have a hybrid bike that I bought in the States years ago (sort of like a light-duty mountain) which I use recreationally around town and environs. I get such immense pleasure and sense of peace just meandering for hours in any direction, choosing whatever road strikes my fancy. You can discover so many nooks and crannies and interesting places that you would NEVER see any other way. I occasionally worry about dogs when going down unknown small sois but so far so good (I'm thinking of adding some kind of collapsable stick to my gear, just in case). I highly recommend biking and I have never felt in any danger from traffic. I'm sure it's there...use your head and hope for the best. The only other thing you could do is stay at home....

Happy trails!

That was my favorite activity, just heading out and getting lost. Literally trying to get lost and then enjoy finding my way back. I've managed to stumble across some really cool places that I think I never would have seen from a motorcycle. I haven't been able to ride for 4 1/2 months now and am aching to heal enough to get back on the bike. Until then I am now able to ride a motorcycle but it just isn't the same.