''Family Mart'' Girl- Advice Please...

davidst01

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know of a few Thais that send or receive money using what they call Western union.

I asked around about this. Nobody my family knows has ever used WU inside Thailand, I've never used it at all as I think it's a rip-off anyway, can't beat the 20-30b transactions banks offer inside Thailand and having a Thai bank account is the first thing anyone spending any time in this country should do.

Here's my S.Holmes interpretation: since the mom knows about WU, which is a dinosaur even here, she's had a sponsor from overseas during her active days in the game a couple of decades back. That's where the FM girl's got the English from. And yes, it was the bartender in the toilet.

Yes thats very true. If the mom knows about WU but not about bank transfers then she was a hooker herself a few dozen years ago. Thais ALL use bank transfers and those without bank account use a relative's account for transfers. Hell i know we send small amounts of $ to remote areas for friends all the time.

I have not read all the replies so this might have been said bu here is my take on the OP.

The girl is probably not an ex bargirl although since she is in Pattaya she may have tried the life and quickly given it up. If she spent any amount of time working the bar she wouldn't be satisfied with the pay at Family Mart (or at least not willing to work for the pay there).

My guess is that mom or other close relative used to work in Pattaya, speaks English and she was exposed to a, or several, native English speakers while growing up. She was pressured to go make some money in Pattaya, bowed to the pressure but decided to live a compromise by working a straight job in Pattaya.

My ex-wife's little sister speaks very good English primarily because she grew up with me around and her and my ex would speak English with each other for fun and as a secret language that their mom couldn't understand. She sure didn't learn much in school. She once brought me to meet her English teacher in highschool and after we went through the "hello, how are you, I am fine thank you" routine we had to switch to Thai to be able to communicate further. She is 24 now, never worked in any entertainment capacity and never had a farang boyfriend, but she speaks well enough that she could get by fine alone in an English speaking country. Most of the guys here would assume she was a bargirl if they met her.

I know of a few Thais that send or receive money using what they call Western union.

I asked around about this. Nobody my family knows has ever used WU inside Thailand, I've never used it at all as I think it's a rip-off anyway, can't beat the 20-30b transactions banks offer inside Thailand and having a Thai bank account is the first thing anyone spending any time in this country should do.

Here's my S.Holmes interpretation: since the mom knows about WU, which is a dinosaur even here, she's had a sponsor from overseas during her active days in the game a couple of decades back. That's where the FM girl's got the English from. And yes, it was the bartender in the toilet.

Yes thats very true. If the mom knows about WU but not about bank transfers then she was a hooker herself a few dozen years ago. Thais ALL use bank transfers and those without bank account use a relative's account for transfers. Hell i know we send small amounts of $ to remote areas for friends all the time.

I'm curios to what sort of education you need to pass the schm*ck bar. Experience comes from learning of your mistakes... is this a way of showing that you haven't learned anything yet?

Why would someone from Isaan move to Pattaya to work at a Family Mart?

Actually far more common than you might think.

Father / Mother / Brother / Uncle goes to work in factory in Bangkok / Laem Chabang / Ayuthaya / Rayong.

Father / Mother / Brother / Uncle starts making a life for himself that doesn't involve hand-to-mouth agrarian existence, has steady income, can afford pickup / modest house payments etc.

Father / Mother / Brother / Uncle brings offspring / niece / nephew to live with in Bangkok / Laem Chabang / Ayuthaya / Rayong aged 13+

And so on and so forth . . .

You can also substitute factory for something to do with tourism, particularly if the Isaan person is found in the south. Sometimes they just sell somtam or have some other sort of business; a relative of a friend in Isan makes a tidy living simply by loading his pickup truck with various goods and delivering them to Burmese migrant workers at their factory dorms! He says they eat good scoff too, for example the soy milk comes from a pukkaThai-Chinese vendor from Yaowarat, none of that cheap <deleted> that Thais go for, and they won't rest until they've settled the bill unlike Thais . . . quite fascinating, but I digress.

As someone who lives and works as a teacher in Isan I see various scenes related to various permutations of this 'story' every day.

I suppose there might just be something about going far away from home that helps to give people a kick up the backside . . .

i know of a couple issan girls working in a family mart 7 on koh phangan. you go where the work is

Edited by nocturn

english is not a difficult language to learn

You'd never guess it from some of the writing on here.

On a more serious note. It is difficult to know and just asking outright could seem rude. Might be best to comment on her good English and ask how she learnt so well. You'll have to judge if she's telling the truth. The mother asking for money is a bit of a worry though. Of course it also depends on how long you're here. When i first came to meet my gf I was here for less than 3 weeks I think and the next 2 times were just over 3 weeks. Not ideal but not much else I could do. I'm off back to the UK in August after 3 months and then coming back so it's easier now. If you have the time don't rush. If she's happy with that then it could be a good sign.

Good luck.

To put it blunt i would not give a sh.t about her past life if i cared enough about her.

That brought a tear to my eye.

He is a silver tongued devil isn't he...........sick.gif

People worry about the past and the Future . live in the Now

• Like 2

If you end up in bed together, she will follow up with demands for money, or maybe not.

Isn't that called marriage...

Advice to the OP with the FM girl, ask her the questions you want answered and stop looking for relationship advice on TV.

If she's from Issan, and not from a wealthy family, then 99.98% chance she didn't learn English in school. She learned it somewhere else.

Total nonsense.

I taught Hotel and Tourism students at a large university in Isarn and many of them came from modest backgrounds.

There English was very good.

If she works at Family Mart, she might have a degree in English.

Even the poorest kids can get grants or learn at university with loans.

• Like 1

If she's from Issan, and not from a wealthy family, then 99.98% chance she didn't learn English in school. She learned it somewhere else.

Total nonsense.

I taught Hotel and Tourism students at a large university in Isarn and many of them came from modest backgrounds.

There English was very good.

If she works at Family Mart, she might have a degree in English.

Even the poorest kids can get grants or learn at university with loans.

my brother in law has one and id say hes behind any 2 and half year old child who learns english as a third language.

Edited by Hostile17

my brother in law has one and id say hes behind any 2 and half year old child who learns english as a third language.

Often when there's a farang in the family, they lose all motivation. There's no need to work anymore - the stupid, gullible foreigner hands out money for everything.

Maybe he just doesn't want to speak to you.

Some normal dating questions:

Do we like each other?

Are we attracted to each other?

Do we have things in common?

Thailand dating questions:

Can we communicate?

If we can, why is her English so good?

Did she used to work as a bargirl?

Is she going to ask me for money?

If she does, is it a one off?

If she doesnt, should i set up a monthly payment for her anyway?

Is she telling the truth if she says her mom is sick?

Is she really a "good girl"?

Is she really 100% woman?

Shes 20 and im 60, but they prefer older men, right? so its love..isnt it?

------

Charming...

These are the questions they should be asking their prospective life partners.

However, most young and old duffers alike tend to raise them here on this forum post flagrante delicto.

Some normal dating questions:

Do we like each other?

Are we attracted to each other?

Do we have things in common?

Thailand dating questions:

Can we communicate?

If we can, why is her English so good?

Did she used to work as a bargirl?

Is she going to ask me for money?

If she does, is it a one off?

If she doesnt, should i set up a monthly payment for her anyway?

Is she telling the truth if she says her mom is sick?

Is she really a "good girl"?

Is she really 100% woman?

Shes 20 and im 60, but they prefer older men, right? so its love..isnt it?

------

Charming...

These are the questions they should be asking their prospective life partners.

However, most young and old duffers alike tend to raise them here on this forum post flagrante delicto.

Ouch ouch , your transfer a topic from another thread onto here. Aren't we the sensitive kind... coffee1.gif

Edited by maxme

If she is young and sweet there is no way she ever worked bar...or at least not long. Once these girls start to make the easy money there is no way they will ever work a normal job again. A good looking girl working bar will make at least 20,000 or more a month. Young sweetheart gogo girls will make 40,000 up. Why would she now work for 8,000 a month. That's why you never make a gogo girl your girlfriend, they will never be happy with little money and will always go back to work bar after they leave you. My guess is she learned some English in high school and after working 7/11 and talking to customers she can now make conversation. She might also have a farang in her family.

Often when there's a farang in the family, they lose all motivation. There's no need to work anymore - the stupid, gullible foreigner hands out money for everything.

forgot to specify: im not one your eledery retired farangs, id never lend anyone in my thai extended family a single THB. I have 0 faith in any thai's word.

Edited by Hostile17

forgot to specify: im not one your eledery retired farangs, id never lend anyone in my thai extended family a single THB. I have 0 faith in any thai's word.

Aha! Another one of the Young Farang in Thailand Glee Club.