Do Many Thais Suffer From Little-Man Syndrome?

EmptyBasementBin

Interesting:

The Thai are first and foremost ego oriented, characterized by the highest ego value of being Independent-being oneself (Pen tua khong tua eng), and a very high value of Self esteem. Closer inspection reveals that it is constantly ranked top priority, with the exception of farmers who ranked it relatively low (8th) among all Thai groups. Thai people have a very big ego, a deep sense of independence, pride and dignity. They cannot tolerate any violation of the “ego” self. Despite the cool and calm front, they can be easily provoked to strong emotional reactions, if the “self” or anybody close to the “self” line one’s father or mother, is insulted. There are countless numbers of examples in the media, where people can readily injure or kill another person for seemingly trivial insults.

Suntaree Komin, Psychology of the Thai People: Values and Behavioral Patterns,

So Thais, that's all 63 million of them, value self esteem highly except farmers who make up what, 30 million of them ?

That's good enough for me.

i agree with OP, my Thai neighbors always try to compete with me who has a bigger dog and who takes care better.

So to teach the little feckers, i rented 10 pitbulls, lets see how they will match that.cheesy.gif

Oh I'd agree that it's not because I'm a farang, but it is an inner psychological issue that affects so many of them. Perhaps manifesting from deep lying inferiority complexes and delicate egos.

or lack of education and training to know the road rules & road etiquette

Oh no, it's much more personal and aggressive than that.

did you attend psychology school? or ran some studies? or just like to blow it out of your back pipe?

Don't buy a pick up. They are for people who cannot afford cars. Unless you are in the habit of transporting produce to market or running a removal business I can't see the point of them. smile.png

If you live somewhere with bad roads (anywhere in Thailand) you'll soon see the merits of a pick-up. I had a Jazz before I got the Isuzu, great little car, but after I nearly tore out the suspension a couple of times, I bowed to common sense and got the pick-up.

Actually my comment was tongue in cheek but a Fortuner seems to cope fine with the roads - probably because it's based on a pick up chassis! I wouldn't drive a Jazz in any country, they are a bit too gay for me.

So what you are saying is you wouldn't drive a pick up ,but you'd buy a pick up with a boot for a lot more money ?

I'd buy a car with rear seats that people can sit in with air conditioning and seat belts and a boot space large enough for my partner's work requirements but not a pick up, yes. I know some pick ups have rear seats but they are pretty cramped. Also, I don't like diesel engines and most pick up's have them (as far as I know). Edited by inthepink

@inthepink

Don't think you have been in a modern auto pickup or SUV. sad.png

I thought the Fortuner was an SUV?

To be quite honest, we can argue about the relative merits of various pick-ups / SUVs / saloons all day long but I just don't like the look of pick-ups and the uncovered space at the back would be a waste because I would never use it and it isn't suitable for people.

Edited by inthepink

@inthepink

To be quite honest, we can argue about the relative merits of various pick-ups / SUVs / saloons all day long but I Just don;t like the look of pick-ups and the uncovered space at the back would just be a waste because I would never use it and it isn't suitable for people.

Sorry, but don't see your comment logic. sad.png

@inthepink

To be quite honest, we can argue about the relative merits of various pick-ups / SUVs / saloons all day long but I Just don;t like the look of pick-ups and the uncovered space at the back would just be a waste because I would never use it and it isn't suitable for people.

Sorry, but don't see your comment logic. sad.png

You said you don't think I have ever been in a modern SUV when I already told you I drive one...I don't really follow your logic either.

The logic of my comment about why I would buy a Fortuner and not a pick up is quite easy to see. The uncovered rear space in a pick up is useless to me whereas the extra seating and enclosed boot space in a Fortuner is not. Plus, I find them more aesthetically pleasing - what's not to understand?

Edited by inthepink

I don't really see how that's a personal attack on me though.

The personal attack was about your attitude.

I suggest you read the forum rules on personal attacks, before you're given a little holiday.

I suggest you wind your neck in.

did you attend psychology school?

It was part of my first degree, yes.

I have not seen or met OP and already want to give him the body part, seems its not the Thai's but the OP who is suffering from the little man syndromthumbsup.gif

Edited by phl

seems its not the Thai's but the OP who is suffering from the little man syndrom

'syndrome'

Interesting though, please elucidate.

sorry i do not know big words, try the smaller onesw00t.gif

Boring ...saai.gif

I agree.

A talk of Thai sociology invites too many personal attacks from the trolls on those who put forward discussion. sad.png

Thai sociologycheesy.gif

You seem to be the only one having a pissing contest problem with Thai's everywhere you turn, yet you want to discuss Thai sociology?

seems its not the Thai's but the OP who is suffering from the little man syndrom

'syndrome'

sorry i do not know big words, try the smaller ones

To give an explanation that serves to clarify, I hope they're not too large for you.

Interesting that you've been personally attacking me for a number of posts now. I wonder the psychology behind your aggravation? :huh:

'syndrome'

To give an explanation that serves to clarify, I hope they're not too large for you.

Interesting that you've been personally attacking me for a number of posts now. I wonder the psychology behind your aggravation? huh.png

may be i am Thai, so it runs in my bloodthumbsup.gif

'syndrome'

Interesting that you've been personally attacking me for a number of posts now. I wonder the psychology behind your aggravation? huh.png

There's no issue at hand here, no conspiracy out to get you, so stop jumping to conclusions, both on the road and online. Your opening post was just begging for a flame, and that's what trolling is, and going on to post five times in a row to defend yourself and try and play the mature, considerate person will get you nowhere. You haven't got much constructive feedback because there's none to be given. Be sensible.

You're not sure of your ethnicity?

Either way, you feel Thais are aggressive?

Interesting. Please continue.

Well i am sure, but you are the one who is qualified Psychologist, so why do not you analyze me and guess

No i do not feel Thais are aggressive, and if you have been here for just a little or notice anything or anyone around you, even without a qualification you would see that Thais do not like confrontation and almost always will avoid one if possible(unless totally drunk)