New Zealand Lifesaver In Phuket Rescue Drama

webfact

Kiwi lifesaver in Thailand rescue drama

By Abby Gillies

PHUKET: -- A lifesaver from the Kapiti Coast has proved you're never off duty after helping to rescue a fellow Kiwi while holidaying in Thailand.

Paekakariki lifeguard Mitch Logan said he was pleased to have been "in the right place at the right time" after a local surf lifesaver trying to save a man became overcome by fatigue.

Mr Logan was in Phuket with his family and girlfriend last week when the drama unfolded.

From beside a hotel pool he saw a crowd gathering on the nearby beach and saw a local lifeguard paddling out to a male swimmer in distress, Surf Life Saving New Zealand (SLSNZ) said.

When the lifeguard reached the man he gave him his paddleboard to the swimmer to hold onto and the pair used it to stay afloat.

But as they drifted further out to sea the lifeguard "panicked and took his board from the patient and left him in the water".

Mr Logan then decided to take action and swam out to both the swimmer and lifeguard. [more...]

Full story: http://www.nzherald....jectid=10820800

-- nzherald.co.nz 2012-07-20

footer_n.gif

Well this story seems to uphold my complaints about the local lifeguards lack of training...

I agree because if properly trained he most likely would not panic as he would be more confident in his abilities. Perhaps they should expand the TVP idea & allow foreign volunteer lifeguards to assist not only in rescues but in training the locals to a higher standard.

• Like 1

Well this story seems to uphold my complaints about the local lifeguards lack of training...

Feel free to help out Jimi ... Lifesaving associations aren't well funded, so did deep, empty that wallet, and put your money where your mouth is, pal.

Feel free to help out Jimi ... Lifesaving associations aren't well funded, so did deep, empty that wallet, and put your money where your mouth is, pal.

I wrote the Phuket Lifesaving Club as my nephew had offered his and his organization's services to come and help train lifeguards here. He is a junior lifeguard instructor in Huntington Beach California and a member of the ISLA. http://www.islasurf.org/ He has gone to many countries and helped train their lifeguards. Of course The Phuket Club never responded to either email I sent....

What have you done? Pal?

Agree with Jimi - it seems sad to hear that there are still drownings on patrolled beaches in Thailand - something that I recall was not the case anywhere in Australia - at least that was what I understood to be the case until recently, and perhaps still is.

If the lifeguard had a board to support both himself and the distressed swimmer, he should have known to call or signal for assistance from the shore - and there should have been assistance at hand of course.

It may indicate not only a lack of training, but even more worrying, a lack of resources.

Jimi has obvioulsy tried to help where help is needed, but the local authorities and clubs will not admit it, and will not be seen to be letting the side down, even when it is obvious that there are incidents that should not occur happening far too frequently.

Sad...by the way... thanks Jimi, I am glad to hear of decent folk living here. I wish the Phuket Club could see a little common sense, instead of misplaced pride.

• Like 1

I find the responses here quite humorous.

Were this a murder we'd hear from the peanut gallery all types of conspiracy theories.

"oh, he might have just slapped her and she fell down the stairs and died"

"we'll actually never know the truth as TIT"

Maybe the better idea in the lifesavers mind was to get himself back in and get a Jetski.

From someone who has pulled plenty of people out of the water when there were NO LIFEGUARDS, I still stand by the opinion the situation is better than it has been in the past.

Were this a murder we'd hear from the peanut gallery all types of conspiracy theories.

Maybe the better idea in the lifesavers mind was to get himself back in and get a Jetski.

From someone who has pulled plenty of people out of the water when there were NO LIFEGUARDS, I still stand by the opinion the situation is better than it has been in the past.

Did the Or Bor Tor's office decide to buy jet skis now? Last time I read they were not on the budget. And I'll agree we will never know the truth about this story as well as most stories we read here on this forum and local news... I will also agree that some lifeguards are better than none. I also think if they were better trained and were stronger swimmers, because they train, they would do a better job...

Did the Or Bor Tor's office decide to buy jet skis now? Last time I read they were not on the budget. And I'll agree we will never know the truth about this story as well as most stories we read here on this forum and local news... I will also agree that some lifeguards are better than none. I also think if they were better trained and were stronger swimmers, because they train, they would do a better job...

Will not argue with you there Jimi, agreed.