Is Your Internet Slow

gharknes

Could someone put all this into plain, old fashioned English for those of us that haven't a clue what on earth your talking about, and just want to know why our internet speeds are a joke?

The Thai internet international gateway CAT-IIG is congested and has been so for the last 2 weeks.

Today is worser than ever - the monkeys working there should really be sent back home to the ricefields.

Comprende ?

here is email trail from cat

Dear Sir ,

In my opnion you should contact directly with TT&T

to investigate and if they got any concern in our network

they will corporate with us to solve the problem.

Best Regards,

Chakapan Sittikraipong

Thailand Internet Exchange (THIX)

CAT Telecom Public Co., Ltd.

Tel. +662-614-2138

----- Original Message -----

From: "Advertising &Public Relations Dept." <[email protected]>

To: ====================

Cc: <[email protected]>

Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 9:26 AM

Subject: Re: Technical issues

> Dear sir,

>

> We've forwarded your e-mail to the Network Management Center :NMC for

> your tracking at e-mail address:[email protected]

>

> Best regards

> Information Div.

> Advertising & Public Relations Dept.

> CAT TELECOM Plc.

> Tel 66 2506 3578

>

>

>

> >

> > Can you please pass this mail to your technical dept responsible for

> > routing data through your system (internet routers and comms)

> >

> >

> > I am a MAXNET user with TT&T and have noticed dramatic performance

> > declines over the past few weeks, it is a common belief that all

> > internet bandwidth issues are external to Thailand and cannot be

> > easily solved, I have found this to be untrue, all network issues

> > that I have traced are in fact internal to Thailand, further to this

> > they are consistently caused by CAT-11Gservice.

> >

> >

> > You seem to have a set of routers that are having difficulty with

> > the bandwidth they are trying to support or you have technical

> > issues that remain unattended, either way the issues are indeed with

> > your network, I have enclosed a network trace produced this morning

> > and you can see clearly that there is a 200ms + ping between your

> > nodes, I have run traces over the last few weeks and they show

> > similar results. So what is wrong ?

> >

> >

> > Your kind attention to the matter would be much appreciated

Edited by gharknes

CAT's network performance has never been of a high caliber... this is of course compounded by the fact that a combination of old laws, monopolies, and the fact of state-run entities makes it nearly neccessary for all ISPs to route international (and local) traffic through CAT's gateways, and not directly with international bandwidth providers. The fact that CAT charges way too much for said questionable bandwidth also doesn't help matters.

Of course, after more than a decade of playing catch up with everyone else on the planet, CAT's monopoly seems to be finally easing up, with licenses being granted to people other than CAT for connections to international providers. But how much this will help and how long it will take is still not certain, and taking into consideration that TIT, it's not yet set in stone and so not yet to be counted on.

I have done several internet ping traces over the last few weeks and although everyone thinks there is a problem external to thailand I have found this is not the case, CAT telecom have consistantly shown to be the network problem, here is a trace I did this Am to Thaivisa, you can see very clearly there is a high ping some 200ms within the CAT-11Gservice, I have mailed them several times about this and got no response

post-19364-1137386843_thumb.jpg

http://iir.ngi.nectec.or.th/internet/map/current.html

...Note some of the ISPs have direct intl gw links do not pass through CAT intl gw cloud.

Choosing the right media + ISP bandwidth package for your particular area is also important.

Generally the big outfits here do not pay great attention to QOS on the mass consumer stuff cept for maybe marketing it. ...Keep in mind the individual consumer customer paying 500 to 2,000 bt per month sits closer to the top of the glass as the capacity fills during peak periods. The overflow is packet loss. The exit at the bottom of the glass to the international gateway is Qd with packets from the premium payers (corporate bandwidth), they get to go thru first, the packets at the top of the glass that have not overflowed to IP neverland well they eventualy find their way to the bottom of the glass and get thru. ...Delay. Well this is how ISPs and CAT manage capacity and attempt to maximize margins. Sometimes the smaller ISPs here can be a better choice. It is possible for example to request lower share ratios, and specific international gw routings ... for example 100% ocean fiber rather than mix which may include satellite BW. Good to get media with some level of guarantee on the spec plus metered corporate bandwidth can be a good alternative to cheapest consumer BW, and significanlty less expensive than fixed monthly rate corporate BW packages.

My connection has been kicking ass lately. Last two days I've been gettin full download speeds I paid for. I live in cm have tot adsl and it was slow to unusable the last two months. I posted my situation a week ago.

last two days though have been faster then ever. I downloaded a 40m file from samsung and the speed was about 100kbs. I have the goldcyber 1024 package.

Good to get media with some level of guarantee on the spec plus metered corporate bandwidth can be a good alternative to cheapest consumer BW, and significanlty less expensive than fixed monthly rate corporate BW packages.

I wonder if they switched mine because I complaind and told them I wanted my money back. I payed for the goldcyber 1024 package and my connection would constanly get lost in la la land. It was slow to unusable. I called the owner of the house. Her and her family own many houses in this area of cm and own the hotel at the end of the street.

She called and complaind after I complaind may times. It started working a few days later. She called me and the Tech from tot at the same time. The tech asked if it was working better and I said yes its working much better. He said he switched my line from a home line to something else. (this was the owners translation). He said there were to many costomers on the other line. I don't know if it was a physical wire change or a configuration change.

Maybe my complaints and my owners relationship with TOT got me one of those corperate lines. I'm and electrical engineer and am very experienced with computers but not much of an IT or networking guy.

I may be in the minority here but i use TOT goldcyber here in Phuket and it has always worked like a dream. I regularly download at around 80-90 kbps and have only experienced loss of connection twice in nearly 2 years.

I suppose the decent bandwidth could be explained by the fact that the contention ratio might be lower here in Phuket than lets say Bangkok?

Or could it that TOT has a special relationship with CAT since they are both state enterprises (and related?) and CAT gives TOT more bandwidth to the international gateway? I'm not sure this could be the case as I am pretty sure TOT doesn't actually provide the service but subcontracts it out to a company called Pacific Net (possibly just in Phuket?).

Anyway, i've never been less than with what i get for my 1000 baht/month.