14 Confirmed Dead After Shooting At Batman Movie Premiere In Denver: Police

webfact

14 dead in shooting at US cinema

DENVER: -- US police say 14 people are dead following a shooting at a suburban movie theatre in the state of Colorado.

Police chief Dan Oates said 50 others were wounded when gunfire erupted early on Friday at the Aurora theatre in the city of Denver.

Oates said a gunman appeared at the front of one of the Century 16 theatres.

He says "witnesses tell us he released some sort of canister. They heard a hissing sound and some gas emerged and the gunman opened fire."

Police say one person has been arrested. Oates says there's no evidence of any additional shooters.

Calls to police about the shooting started coming in about 12.30am (1730 AEST) on Friday from a mall theatre that was showing the Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises.

One person has been arrested but police did not have any other details.

"The scene is still very active and we have little information for release at this time," police spokeswoman Cassidee Carlson said in a brief news release.

Full story: http://news.ninemsn....remiere-reports

-- ninemsn.com.au 2012-07-20

footer_n.gif

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 killed in Denver shoot-out, one suspect in custody

WASHINGTON -- Fourteen people were killed early Friday in ashoot-out at a movie theatre in Denver, Colorado, KUSA-TV reportedciting police chief Dan Oates.

Oates said at least 50 people were wounded, and that one suspectwas in custody.

Witnesses told KUSA-TV that the gunman threw smoke bombs throughan emergency exit door and then opened fire

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-20

Tragic. I go to a movie to get away from the horrible realities of life. I go to be an observer, not a participant. I don't know if going to the movie will ever be the same for me.

RIP to the dead and a speedy recovery to the injured.

COLORADO SHOOTING

14 dead, 50 wounded in shooting at Colorado theater : CNN

DENVER: -- At least 14 people were killed and 50 were wounded when a gunman opened fire during an early Friday morning screening of the new Batman movie at an Aurora, Colorado, theater.

Police Chief Dan Oates told reporters the man suspected of opening fire on the crowded theater was taken into custody, according to CNN.

The heavily armed suspect, who was wearing a bullet-proof vest, was apprehended by police in a parking lot at the theater, Frank Fania, a police spokesman told CNN. The identity of the suspect has not immediately been released.

"We do no have evidence of a second gunman," Oates said.

Of the wounded, at least 20 were being treated at the University of Colorado Hospital, said spokeswoman Jacque Montgomery. All of the wounded suffered from gunshot wounds, which ranged from minor to critical, she said.

"They’re arriving by police, by ambulance. Some are walking in," she said.

The shooting incident occurred during the showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" at the Century Aurora 16 theater, police and witnesses said.

"We saw people running around and screaming," a man, who was not identified, told KUSA.

He said there was confusion in the theater when the shooting began because many believed the sound of gunfire was coming from the movie next door.

Oates said that the suspect used some sort of "smoke device" before opening fire in the theater.

Witnesses, however, told KUSA that the gunman kicked in an emergency exit door and threw a smoke bomb into the darkened theater before opening fire.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-20

FBI spokesman Jason Pack said it did not appear the incident was related to terrorism.

I guess me and the FBI agent hold different definitions of what is terrorism.

Not sure what you're driving at. If it was just a lone madman with no political motivations/intentions how can it be terrorism? While I do think terrorism is a loaded word and yes sometimes one man's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter, but if there is no political motive at all, that is a clear and simple acid test. So far in this case it appears there were no political motives. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

FBI spokesman Jason Pack said it did not appear the incident was related to terrorism.

I guess me and the FBI agent hold different definitions of what is terrorism.

Not sure what you're driving at. If it was just a lone madman with no political motivations/intentions how can it be terrorism? While I do think terrorism is a loaded word and yes sometimes one man's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter, but if there is no political motive at all, that is a clear and simple acid test. So far in this case it appears there were no political motives.

Well i guess until they attach a car battery to the little bas****s gonads and question him, we just won't know.

Definition<a href="http://www.truth-and-justice.info/defterror.html#fn2">2:

Terrorism is destruction of people or property by people not acting on behalf of an established government for the purpose of redressing a real or imaginary injustice attributed to an established government and aimed directly or indirectly at an established government.

Not all cases of destruction of people or property are terrorism. The important definitive characteristics of terrorism are:

1. the act of destruction is performed by a person or group of persons not acting on behalf of an established government ,
  2. the act of destruction is performed to redress a real or imaginary injustice, and
  3. the act is aimed directly or indirectly at an established government, who is seen as the cause of the injustice.

" Terrorism is in the eyes of the terrorised ".

Of course the victims were terrorized. But if it turns out as it seems pretty clear at this point that there was no political agenda, then it doesn't fit under any widely accepted definition of terrorism. People who do public mass murders do them for different reasons. As this guy is alive, we will likely learn a lot more about him. Edited by Jingthing

Does not really matter if terroism or not. USA loves calling things terrorist activities to go after cells or others involved. This guy appears to be a delusional psychotic lone gun man who is just a mass murderer and he will be treated with accordingly. Lots of sucky people in this world and the travesty is giving people like this easy access to guns and assault rifles.

Does not really matter if terroism or not. USA loves calling things terrorist activities to go after cells or others involved. This guy appears to be a delusional psychotic lone gun man who is just a mass murderer and he will be treated with accordingly. Lots of sucky people in this world and the travesty is giving people like this easy access to guns and assault rifles.

I basically agree. Terrorism is a word that is overused in general. Not only by the US or pro American forces though; that part is twisted.

How did this topic turn into conspiracy theories regarding Israel? Lets drop the speculation and wait for investigative results before spouting nonsense. Off topic speculation posts will be removed without further notice.

Of course the victims were terrorized. But if it turns out as it seems pretty clear at this point that there was no political agenda, then it doesn't fit under any widely accepted definition of terrorism. People who do public mass murders do them for different reasons. As this guy is alive, we will likely learn a lot more about him.

Not sure how you can deduce this, crystal ball?

Of course the victims were terrorized. But if it turns out as it seems pretty clear at this point that there was no political agenda, then it doesn't fit under any widely accepted definition of terrorism. People who do public mass murders do them for different reasons. As this guy is alive, we will likely learn a lot more about him.

Not sure how you can deduce this, crystal ball?

They've got the shooter. He's talking. If had a political motive, why do you reckon he hasn't MENTIONED it (or even said something about it when he was killing people)?

Looks like I was right. Apparently playing out Joker in Joker's Revenge movie.

Yes he was indeed barking mad. It's odd that he didn't force the police to kill him. Normally these kinds of loons expect to get killed during their incident and do. I hope its not too flip, but what do people think this will do to Batman ticket sales? It seems to me a whole lot of people are going to be too creeped out to go a crowded theater showing that particular movie. Even though that's irrational as if that matters. Edited by Jingthing

He was basically in full body armor. Balituc helmet, mask, throat protector, vest, arm and leg protectors.

So he didn't want to/expect to die? Weird.

I figured it was related to quitting medical school. Probably thought his life was over as a failure. Imagine this guy wanted to be a doctor!

Edited by Jingthing

Coke bottles full of something strung up around door and apartment full of trip wire devices. He actually told them about stuff in apartment and then stopped talking.

Kept playing same song on repeat before incident and dropped out of medical school last month. No record except speeding ticket. He was not on any watch list or associated with any known terrorism groups.

Seems like he should have been on some list somewhere with AK-47, shotgun, 2 Glocks, tear gas canisters, buckets if ammo, and full body armor.

Edited by ttelise