Tipping The Maid

jacktrip

I have a maid who does a great job, but speaks almost no English.

I tried to give her a tip once because I suspect she earns very little, although I'm not sure. She is paid by property management and not me.

One time I very nicely tried to give her a bunch (actually a handful of coins) that I had saved. She became quite irate and started saying "no, no" in Thai and left the room quickly. I have not seen her get angry like this before.

Not sure, if the issue was that I was giving her too little, or in coins, or if it was offering the tip at all. I wanted to give her something for doing work around here when I go on vacation, for example, feeding my cat, which is not her usual work responsibility, but which she would gladly do. I wanted to give her 1000 baht this time, but I don't want to make things difficult or weird. Suggestions appreciated on how to handle this.

well giving coins is not the brightest idea, it is actually rather an insult in my opinion

1000 baht is little over the top.

I tip my maid 200-300 and she has no problem accepting it.

At the end of the month, give her 300 baht in 100 baht denominations and say thank you, i am sure she will be thankful and will accept it.

IF she does not, tell her "taxi" meaning its money for taxi and if she still does not accept it, then you do not need to tip her again :)

• Like 2

She may get searched for money on her to check if they are stealing.

She maybe proud in her job and not want tips.

She may think you are offering her money in exchange for something else.

Maybe she's worried about this.

Cow tipping or cow pushing is the purported activity of sneaking up on a sleeping, upright cow and pushing it over for one's entertainment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_tipping

If you can explain in a language your maid understands that the money has no special attachments or expectations, she will be grateful. Focus on your language and communication ability. Tell her it's common where you're from to pay above and beyond to signify appreciation. Good Thais will often not be comfortable with this concept as it is not common in Thai culture (outside of "obligatory" giving).

She may get searched for money on her to check if they are stealing.

She maybe proud in her job and not want tips.

She may think you are offering her money in exchange for something else.

Feather duster?

When I stay in a hotel, 20 Baht on the pillow (daily).

No, it's not cheap, it's appropriate.

They always smile, if I want an extra bottle of water or coffee etc, they ask if just one more is enough.

Tipping is an American mentality but when done where appropriately is appreciated ... I usually 'round up' the Taxi or Food bill.

Gross Tipping (B1,000 as the OP tried) is just that ... Gross

Edited by David48

I tip my maid 200-300 and she has no problem accepting it.

Why would you tip the best part of a days wage ... blink.png

It's a monthly tip and she has been with me for 5 years now

• Like 1

They always smile, if I want an extra bottle of water or coffee etc, they ask if just one more is enough.

Tipping is an American mentality but when done where appropriately is appreciated ... I usually 'round up' the Taxi or Food bill.

OP is not talking about hotel or hotel maid, he is referring to his perm maid at his home

OP is not talking about hotel or hotel maid, he is referring to his perm maid at his home

About the monthly tip phl, understanding now about your gratuity.

But I re-read the OP and it doesn't say about his 'home' or a direct 'personal' maid.

Does say however that "She is paid by property management and not me".

When I stayed at a serviced apartment outside Bangkok for 2 months last time had a similar situation.

Paid a monthly rate for the room including a twice weekly cleaning. The older hotel had more then a hundred rooms. Monthly rental was 5,000 Baht plus expenses.

If the OP rented one of these then a 1,000 Baht tip is way over the odds.

Maybe the OP can clarify his personal circumstances.

From what I read here, a gratuity/tip/bonus, if the maid is personal and long term, is usually offered just before the Songkran Holiday as a way of thanks and helping with the usual travel home during that holiday period.

My gf gets her work bonus round the time of the Chinese New Year because her Boss is obviously Chinese.

I agree with what some of the others have said... Just giving her 1000 thb tip out of the blue may make her feel a bit odd an wouldn't be in line with Thai practice

If you want to give her this tip, would wait until new years or just before Songkran as others have mentioned, as this would be completely normal and not cause any issues or weirdness or future expectation of similar amounts every month

Edited by CWMcMurray

Have you thought that it may be part of her contract by the property management company that she cannot accept tips? Would suggest you have a word with them and how to get around it if it is causing you that much concern.

It does happen that these clauses are part of their policy.

Always tip always smile.Its nice to be important but its also important to be nice.If she refuses just smile thats the end of it mabye buy the ladie some flowers.I thank u

*sigh* ... are you still around ... dry.png

OH ... unless she is your girlfriend NEVER buy flowers.

She can't eat them so they are no practicial use.

'Always Tip' ... Bull Sh

Always smile ... actually ... that is good advice ... biggrin.png

Always tip always smile.Its nice to be important but its also important to be nice.If she refuses just smile thats the end of it mabye buy the ladie some flowers.I thank u

*sigh* ... are you still around ... dry.png

OH ... unless she is your girlfriend NEVER buy flowers.

She can't eat them so they are no practicial use.

'Always Tip' ... Bull Sh

Always smile ... actually ... that is good advice ... biggrin.png

thank you

One time I very nicely tried to give her a bunch (actually a handful of coins) that I had saved. She became quite irate and started saying "no, no" in Thai and left the room quickly. I have not seen her get angry like this before.

Not all women in Thailand are for sale. wink.png

• Like 1

Not all women in Thailand are for sale. wink.png

Prefer the rentals. :)

• Like 1