Tourist Site Near Phreah Vihear Reopens

webfact

Tourist site near Phreah Vihear reopens

The Nation

30186654-01_big.jpg?1342825295841

SI SA KET: -- Mor EDang Cliff, a scenic overlook near the trail to Phreah Vihear Temple in Si Sa Ket Province, reopened to visitors yesterday following the withdrawal of troops from the disputed area on Wednesday.

Thai and Cambodian soldiers stationed at the symbolic steel gate yesterday bade farewell to each other, as part of the troop withdrawal deal, which requires army regulars of both countries to vacate the area. They have been are replaced by lightly armed borderpatrol forces.

The steel gate area is still offlimit to visitors, as it is still regarded a militaryregulated buffer zone, said Saksit Pholsapsiri, chief of Thailand's Khao Phra Wihan National Park.

The admission price for visitors is still at half price - Bt20 for Thai nationals and Bt200 to foreigners, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-21

they reopened it's a that the Thai-side is in need of money, I have been there a year before the troubles,we got there by car, had to pay 200 Bhat persone because the claim it is a national park our wifes been Thai paid 20 Bhat entrence, when we whent to the temple pay again on the Thai side then a smal amount on the Cambodya side, it's a hell of climming those stairs.

The Khao Phra Viharn National Park has been open for at least 6 months and so has the view from Pha Mor E Dang Cliff, so I don't understand what they're on about. blink.png

Last when I went, approx. 4 weeks ago, we paid 280 baht for 3 farangs and 1 car.

I refuse to pay 200 as I llve near by, and have a Thai driving licence. whistling.gif

The Khao Phra Viharn National Park has been open for at least 6 months and so has the view from Pha Mor E Dang Cliff, so I don't understand what they're on about. blink.png

Last when I went, approx. 4 weeks ago, we paid 280 baht for 3 farangs and 1 car.

I refuse to pay 200 as I llve near by, and have a Thai driving licence. whistling.gif

If it's anything like other national parks, get there earlier enough, i.e. before the ticket booths are manned , and it's free. Well , if they insist in pursuing the outrageous pricing discrimination ... angry.png

Read carefully, it refers to NEAR the temple. The temple as such remains off limits and hence the THB 200 is just another rip-off like the rest. You can access the temple from the Cambodian side for a little fee; self-drivers would need a 4x4 but even better - park your vehicle at the foot of the hill and climb up the Dongrek, better than any gym.

If it's anything like other national parks, get there earlier enough, i.e. before the ticket booths are manned , and it's free. Well , if they insist in pursuing the outrageous pricing discrimination ... angry.png

The signs should be changed to read admission 200 baht discount with ID.

It is not discrimination - zoos for example in the US (Tacome for one example) do the same thing. Show an ID with the right zip code and it cost 80% less - otherwise pay the rate at the gate - many have a discount for Military ID also. Why should a tax payer that is supporting it pay twice- it should be free for Thai's - it is there park - they own it.