Has Electricity Gone Up In Price.

thenervoussurgeon

The PEA is charging for the months May - August an extra charge (Ft Charge) of 0.3 THB per Unit to compensate for increasing fuel cost maybe that is the increased cost you notice.

Residential usage.

Normally, Electricity rates are difference depend on Meter size. I would like to describe in details following the contents below:

- January – May 2012 Ft rate = 0.0 Baht

- Normally, Ft rate will be changing every 4 months so since May to August 2012 Ft rate is 0.30 Baht per unit.

Because of high manufacturing costs so we changed fuel cost from after June – August 2012.

Edited by MJCM

The PEA is charging for the months May - August an extra charge (Ft Charge) of 0.3 THB per Unit to compensate for increasing fuel cost maybe that is the increased cost you notice.

Residential usage.

Normally, Electricity rates are difference depend on Meter size. I would like to describe in details following the contents below:

- January – May 2012 Ft rate = 0.0 Baht

- Normally, Ft rate will be changing every 4 months so since May to August 2012 Ft rate is 0.30 Baht per unit.

Because of high manufacturing costs so we changed fuel cost from after June – August 2012.

That would put my bill up very little ,but not having an air con on 5 nights a week for 4/5 hours should have brought our bill down ,instead it was up a little.

• 3 months later...

For your information, the first highlighted figure in each section is the monthly "standing charge".

The other highlighted figures are useage rates per kw/hr for the first 150 units per month, 151 to 400 units per month and 401 and over units per month.

Or so I understand.

The electricity tariff is made up of 3 elements; base tariff, fuel adjustment charge (also called Ft), and VAT. This creates the average tariff. There are individualised tariffs for the different customer classes (residential, industrial etc) and within these customer classes there are different tariffs based on usage (use more pay more).

The base tariff is made up of generation fuel costs, generation investment costs, the two payments for power purchase (availability charge and energy charge), transmission and distribution investment and operations costs and retail supply costs. The base tariff is reset every 3-5 years. It was last reset in July 2011 by the Energ Regulatory Commission.

The total average retail base tariff is 3.2387 baht/kwh.

The fuel adjustment charge or Ft allows the tariff to reflect changes in fuel costs. It is reset every four months. In addition to incorporating changes in fuel costs, the Ft includes policy related expenses such as the free 50 kwh/month allocation (prior to 2011 this was paid from the government budget for an allowance of 90 kwh/month but now is paid through cross subsidisation from other customer classes) and the adder or extra tariff provided to renewable energy generators.

The Ft for the current period (Sep - Dec 2012) is 68.24 satang/kwh. However, the Energy Regulatory Commission only approved an increase of 48 satang/kwh as they considered the increase to be too much of a burden for consumers. Consumers have been paying less than the actual Ft cost since July 2011. It has been agreed with EGAT that when fuel prices drop in the future, consumers will pay more than the actual Ft to compensate. ERC estimates this burden to be about 10.5 billion baht and will extend to 2013.

All of the data is available at www.erc.or.th however it is in Thai. Each round of Ft is published for public consultation on the website.

Since the ERC approves the average tariff, the utilities have to break this into the different customer and usage tariffs and they also smooth out the changes. Technically, power bills have been increasing each four month period since July 2011 as the Ft has increased.

People may not know about the Energy Regulatory Commission. It was established in February 2008 after the Energy Industry Act was passed in December 2007. It is located in Chamchuri Square building. it has 13 Regional Energy Consumer Committees (RECC) (and offices) that hear complaints and submissions about energy issues from consumers. These RECCs have been very successful in mediating consumer complaints against the state utilities.

I use about 700 kwh/month. The price has recently gone up about .5 baht/kwh includuing vat, from 3.95 baht/kwh in June to 4.41 baht/kwh this month. A 40 satang increase was annnounced in the newspaper sometime ago. I use PEA in Nakhon Sawan province.

To make you people here smile and thank your lucky stars I average around the 9-10,000 baht a month. month in month out. When the pool pump was kaput for the month it got down to 7,800 baht rolleyes.gif

I don't know how it is broken down as all in thai but from PEA here on Samui, 3 phase with my own transformer.

Looks like my unit rate has gone up from 6.95 to 7.59 I noticed it creeping, but I had a bath put in the spring and had an air con installed so was difficult to tell. Also 7-11 are now charging 15bts to handle the payments as well.

The electricity tariff is made up of 3 elements; base tariff, fuel adjustment charge (also called Ft), and VAT. This creates the average tariff.

Actually, this is not correct. The electricity tariffs are multiple tariffs relative to whether business, residential, useage rates, on and off peak rates, 2 or 3 phase, etc,. If you would like a copy of the complete PEA rates, I will gladly post it here. There is no "average tariff".

The electricity tariff is made up of 3 elements; base tariff, fuel adjustment charge (also called Ft), and VAT. This creates the average tariff.

Actually, this is not correct. The electricity tariffs are multiple tariffs relative to whether business, residential, useage rates, on and off peak rates, 2 or 3 phase, etc,. If you would like a copy of the complete PEA rates, I will gladly post it here. There is no "average tariff".

Can you please refer to the website of the agency responsible for the approval of electricity tariffs in Thailand as referenced www.erc.or.th You will see a full explanation of the setting of the average base tariff and the Ft. The three utilities, EGAT, MEA and PEA base their retail tariffs on this average base tariff and quarterly Ft adjustment.

I have no need of the PEA tariff schedule as I work at ERC and know what I am talking about.

Tariffs have increased since July 2011 quaterly due to the increase in Ft charges although this increase is not 100% cost reflective for reasons explained in my post.

Rate schedules obtained from the MEA and PEA will be inclusive of VAT. Some apartment residents who are not direct customers of either the MEA or PEA may be paying a surchange imposed by the apartment owner.

To make you people here smile and thank your lucky stars I average around the 9-10,000 baht a month. month in month out. When the pool pump was kaput for the month it got down to 7,800 baht rolleyes.gif

I don't know how it is broken down as all in thai but from PEA here on Samui, 3 phase with my own transformer.

If only your pool pump use about 2000 Baht of electric a month, then it's time to buy a new one. Unless you run a commercial pool of course.

I shared with a few guys a huge villa with an amazing pool, aircon 24h, total bill was 25k+ per month! Ouch

Then I moved to a pretty big condo, full of halogen lamp and very hot because it was just under the roof without much isolation, had to pay the building inflated rate and the bill was 6000+ bath per month.

A year later then I moved to a smallish 2 br thai style house, using aircon only at night in the bedroom, government price, bill went down to 1600 bath.

Then I moved recently to a much bigger house, well oriented and isolated, I don't even use aircon at night thanks to a fresh breeze coming from the jungle through the bedroom, last bill was 1000 baht.

So all in all electricity has gone drastically down last 4 years for me :)

I shared with a few guys a huge villa with an amazing pool, aircon 24h, total bill was 25k+ per month! Ouch

Then I moved to a pretty big condo, full of halogen lamp and very hot because it was just under the roof without much isolation, had to pay the building inflated rate and the bill was 6000+ bath per month.

A year later then I moved to a smallish 2 br thai style house, using aircon only at night in the bedroom, government price, bill went down to 1600 bath.

Then I moved recently to a much bigger house, well oriented and isolated, I don't even use aircon at night thanks to a fresh breeze coming from the jungle through the bedroom, last bill was 1000 baht.

So all in all electricity has gone drastically down last 4 years for me smile.png

You need to sort out your "bath" and "baht" currencies. 555

here's something for you to smile. consumption aug18 till sep16 (billing period 2 days less than usual) 3,590 kWh = 16,703 Baht ermm.gif if the billing period had been for a full month then 17,857 Baht were due sick.gif but then it "cooled" down and the last bill was "only" 14,920 Baht (consumption a "mere" 3,200kWh) ermm.gif

and before anybody starts bitching about Farangs who live in freezers please note that our home is kept at a comfortable temperature of 25.5-26ºC wai2.gif

average price per kWh (including VAT, etc.) 4.66 Baht.

Edited by Naam

I fail to see what is clever (or even interesting) about having a large electricity bill.

Any idiot can leave electrical devices on unnecessarily. Indeed I remember some American clowns who regularly had the aircon on and the doors wide open in their rental farmhouse in Europe. I'm sure their bill was pointlessly huge also.

The price per unit may be interesting, but not the number of units consumed. I suppose some children people just have to show off.

• Like 2

Can you please refer to the website of the agency responsible for the approval of electricity tariffs in Thailand as referenced www.erc.or.th You will see a full explanation of the setting of the average base tariff and the Ft. The three utilities, EGAT, MEA and PEA base their retail tariffs on this average base tar

There doesn't appear to be any mention on that site as to what I personally would expect to pay for electricity. As you say you work for the commission, could you confirm the current tariffs (excluding Ft and VAT) in order that I may check that my electricity bill is correct?

I have no need of the PEA tariff schedule as I work at ERC and know what I am talking about.

Just for your information/interest, our local meter reader had no idea how the electricity bill was calculated. Neither did anyone on the ground floor of the local PEA offices; nor anyone on the first floor; nor anyone on the second floor. It wasn't until the third floor where someone was found who could provide the information.

Cheers

Y

I fail to see what is clever (or even interesting) about having a large electricity bill.

Any idiot can leave electrical devices on unnecessarily. Indeed I remember some American clowns who regularly had the aircon on and the doors wide open in their rental farmhouse in Europe. I'm sure their bill was pointlessly huge also.

The price per unit may be interesting, but not the number of units consumed. I suppose some children people just have to show off.

i suppose some people have to bitch for the sake of bitching or because they are utterly bored.

whistling.gif

There doesn't appear to be any mention on that site as to what I personally would expect to pay for electricity. As you say you work for the commission, could you confirm the current tariffs (excluding Ft and VAT) in order that I may check that my electricity bill is correct?

The original poster asked if electricity prices had increased and if so by how much. I provided information in response to this request and to explain how electricity tariffs are set. You posted that I was incorrect. I responded with information about the source that demonstrates that I was correct. You do not have to believe what I say about where I work as it makes no difference. I have no interest in discussions on how you check your electricity bill or about the knowledge base of staff at your provincial PEA office. You said you have the tariff schedule so I suggest you read your meter and do the maths. The tariff schedule on the PEA and MEA websites should be correct and up to date. If you believe there is some mistake, then the process is to complain to PEA and if they do not respond appropriately, you can contact the Regional Energy Consumer Committee for your region. The contacts are on the ERC website. If you wish to discuss electricity tariff issues with PEA staff, you can contact the Power Economics Department at PEA's Bangkok HQ. If others have questions about electricity and gas regulation in Thailand that are consistent with the thread or are in other threads, I am happy to contribute information and perhaps opinions where appropriate.