Most & Least Respected Foreigners In Thailand

thelongshoot

Scottish are the most respected, just watch a Thai's face light up at the mention of Scotch whisky!!! - but that is a given for any country apart from England!! thumbsup.gif

Got to be a toss up between Burmese and American for the least respected, Burmese being more of a local thing whilst Americans are universally viewed with suspicion wherever they go!wink.png

Although the Scots are generally seen as being far superior than their English neighbors, you cannot compare a Scot to an American, or even Canadian for that matter.

In Thailand, it is generally accepted that all Brits, Nigerians, and Indians are considered to be of lower status.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many Americans like to refer to Canada as "America's retarded cousin".

So why would Americans who put canook flags on their bags and tell people they are Canadian prefer to be considered retards than tell people they are American when travelling...whistling.gif

You have clearly met only Canadians who were pulling your leg.

An American (when I say America, I mean REAL America, i.e. NY, Boston, Chicago, and California) does not need to put a flag on their backpack.

The fact that they are American is implied by the high level of education and manners.

• Like 2

So why would Americans who put canook flags on their bags and tell people they are Canadian prefer to be considered retards than tell people they are American when travelling...whistling.gif

An American (when I say America, I mean REAL America, i.e. NY, Boston, Chicago, and California) does not need to put a flag on their backpack.

The fact that they are American is implied by the high level of education and manners.

This is not an urban legend...I have actually met "REAL" Americans who have done this and the when I enquired as why they had such a strange accent for a Canook the truth came out, and all was revealed..... and yes you can hear the difference in the accent such as the way a real Canook says "house"

So to burst the bubble of our colonial cousins...yes your countrymen, who are "real American's" actually do this, which to my mind is very amusing considering "nietzche" comments that Canadian's are considered retards, therefore an American would rather be thought as a retard than admitting they are American..whistling.gif

• Like 2

Not including San Diego in there?

When I lived in America, San Diego was my favourite City ... though that was, I admit 20 odd years ago.

EDIT, yes, I know that San Diego is the southern most main City in California.

Just that I never had a fondness for LA.

Edited by David48

Anglophile behavior (which includes all of us westerners) is alive and well in the Real Thailand (outside Bangkok). If you want to feel friendliness and acceptance just step out of the concrete jungle for a few days respite. whistling.gif

[Had to edit my Freudian slip, "anglophobia." tongue.png ]

Edited by Fookhaht

So someone from say Billings Montana or Texa's is not considered a Real American then ?...so much for the other myth then of the US being a cultural mixing pot then...if you are not from NY, Boston, Chicago or California you are not a real American...rather insulting dont you think for those Americans who come from places which are not on your exclusive "Real American" list

It was going against the grain though when they tried to make that Tiger Woods guy a Thai citizen. rolleyes.gif

Tiger woods is an Thai citizen, he became that when he was born by his Thai mother.

They tried to convince him to play under the Thai flag.

It was going against the grain though when they tried to make that Tiger Woods guy a Thai citizen. rolleyes.gif

Tiger woods is an Thai citizen, he became that when he was born by his Thai mother.

You sayin' he's got a Thai ID card? :unsure:

You sayin' he's got a Thai ID card? unsure.png

To get an Thai ID-card you must be on a house book in Thailand.

Well, passport then? :unsure:

http://golf.about.com/od/tigerwoods/f/tiger-woods-nationality.htm

Americans tip a lot, so they must be popular.

I have a friend who is a butler at the Banyon Tree in Phuket. She told me that hands down, the biggest tippers are Russian. Americans are a distant second. Chinese are about the worst.

Don't know what that all means, but I have to admit that I was surprised that the Russians tip the most.

Quite a few posters seem to think that this thread means open season on flag waving and berating other nationalities. I realize that the temptation might be high to go this route, but it is not appropriate for the forum.

Quite a few posts have been removed. Further such posts may result in suspensions and the thread being closed.

• Like 2

Scottish are the most respected, just watch a Thai's face light up at the mention of Scotch whisky!!! - but that is a given for any country apart from England!! thumbsup.gif

Got to be a toss up between Burmese and American for the least respected, Burmese being more of a local thing whilst Americans are universally viewed with suspicion wherever they go!wink.png

Although the Scots are generally seen as being far superior than their English neighbors, you cannot compare a Scot to an American, or even Canadian for that matter.

In Thailand, it is generally accepted that all Brits, Nigerians, and Indians are considered to be of lower status.

Thais do not have any opinion of scots. There simply are not enough of them in Thailand as they mostly cant afford to go on holidays and so the Thais havent had a chance to form an opinion. The English however (i think you meant English, not Brits, as Britain incorporates scotland) being of more wealthy status and much more comfortable to spend a little money, visit Thailand in there hundreds of thousands every year. Subsiquently the Thais have actualy heard of England and have an opinion to offer.

Thats not me bashing. Its my honest to god opinion. Scotland is a far poorer country, do not travel as much, and most countires simply havent heard of the place.

Comparing England with Burma and India in terms of local perception is just plain stupid. You are either being massivley childish, flaming, or are totaly stupid, to be totaly honest.

There is an irony that Thais will immediately and without qualification be dismissive of Indians, only for them to wai the Lord Buddha (an Indian), the next.

Thought Buddah was from Nepal ?....so not strictly "India"

I am pretty sure they wouldnt be so dismissive of a "Hiso" Indian making his way through Thailand, if he was coming through flashing the cash..they would be kowtowing at his feet...

Thais do not have any opinion of scots. There simply are not enough of them in Thailand as they mostly cant afford to go on holidays and so the Thais havent had a chance to form an opinion. The English however (i think you meant English, not Brits, as Britain incorporates scotland) being of more wealthy status and much more comfortable to spend a little money, visit Thailand in there hundreds of thousands every year. Subsiquently the Thais have actualy heard of England and have an opinion to offer.

Thats not me bashing. Its my honest to god opinion. Scotland is a far poorer country, do not travel as much, and most countires simply havent heard of the place.

Comparing England with Burma and India in terms of local perception is just plain stupid. You are either being massivley childish, flaming, or are totaly stupid, to be totaly honest.

Did you actually read what you typed before you clicked the post button?? Jeez i actually feel sorry for you if you truly believe what you have stated!!

You do realise his comments were tongue in cheek dont you ? and I think you will find the Scots through out history are very widely travelled...from a Thai perspective the average Thai would know the difference between an Englishman and their brethern north of the border

What difference does that make? My son is a US citizen but holds neither a US passport not id card

You do realise his comments were tongue in cheek dont you ? and I think you will find the Scots through out history are very widely travelled...from a Thai perspective the average Thai would know the difference between an Englishman and their brethern north of the border

I sincerely hope so!!

• Like 1

What difference does that make? My son is a US citizen but holds neither a US passport not id card

Thai citizens need to hold a citizens ID card and must be on a tabien ban book.

Even children age 12 and above need to hold an ID.

Thai citizens need to hold a citizens ID card and must be on a tabien ban book.

Even children age 12 and above need to hold an ID.

Maybe that is just to collect benefits from Thailand. Are these also requirements for dual Thai citizens living outside Thailand?

Also, your citizenship is not determined by your holding an id card but your ability to hold an id card might be determined by your citizenship.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

I can only speak for my wife and her familly ,also girlfriends i had in the past ,they seemed to dislike muslims ,so any race that was from a muslim country was looked down on.

I have also heard that a lot. Especially when there are attacks from Muslims that get on Thai television news.

I would say that Americans are generally seen as being a cut above the rest.

Least respected are probably the English whistling.gif

Unless there are any of Red Indian decent in Thailand.....there are no real Americans !

Wherever you are from....Money=Respect in Thailand.....Period.