A Farming Myth …

David48

my wife and myself put some fruit trees in last year, we went for lambutine,( the red hairy ones,) and mangatine(the brown hard ones),,lol. the reason is that everyone round our way has over the last couple of years put in lamyai, just like the thais do, if they see someone doing well they will copy,

anyway we havnt got many just 2 rai,

im happy with my pigs

jake

• Like 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could see a big increase of tamarind (macam) soon. I don't know about all of Thailand but in this area most of the orchards have been taken out and replaced with sugar cane.

Most of our orchards of lamyai have been slowly replaced with Rubber. I'm now seeing a lot of Palm Oil being planted. it must have an impact on other produce in the future. Palm Oil scares me. flying into KL airport you can see nothing but palm, nothing, not another tree or plant species to be seen for miles and miles. Just a Palm Oil dessert.

• Like 1

my wife and myself put some fruit trees in last year, we went for lambutine,( the red hairy ones,) and mangatine(the brown hard ones),,lol. the reason is that everyone round our way has over the last couple of years put in lamyai, just like the thais do, if they see someone doing well they will copy,

im happy with my pigs

jake

Hi there Jake and welcome to the Thread ... I hope you enjoyed your holiday ... biggrin.png

And also ... an Avatar ... it's a ripper.

Just everyone doesn't have to squint to read it.

Here it is ... post-104736-0-85770000-1343621324.jpg

To all who have posted thus far ... wai.gif ... an excellent standard of posting and civility.

I warmly acknowledge each and every post.

• Like 2

im happy with my pigs

jake

Sometime back, my brother in law gave us one of those little black pigs. I liked the little guy and he was smart like a dog. I could go out and yell oink and he would always answer with his oink. We have two and a half rai of yard with a two meter high wall all around it.

Unfortunately the little guy was very destructive. He dug holes all over and ate a lot of my wife's weeds, trees, vegetables and herbs. One day I found him tied to a tree. His neck was raw from fighting the rope. I told my wife that you can't tie up a pig and if she didn't want to build a pen for him to tell her brother in law to come and get him. The pig was gone the next day and I don't know what her brother in law did with him and I doubt that I want to know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with many of the[postings about the reality of farming in Thailand. We have about 50 rai split up over 4 blocks with the largest at 24 rai. Just about all is used for rice and the family uses the land and pays us in rice. My efforts have been put into persuing small scale cash flow opportunities to supplement the families rice income so that my family members can earn some money and be self sufficient in between the one or two episodes of income when the rice is sold. I am trying (gradually) to follow the King's model of sustainable small land holding model. We have tried crickets, meat frogs, cat fish and nin, chicken eggs (100 fowl), fattening pigs, brown and white mushrooms and seasonal vegetables. We have the equipment to manufacture fertilizer pellets from the pig and chicken manure and of course use this to reduce commercial fertilizer use theoretically saving some rice production costs. These have had varying levels of success but always seem to earn enough for the family members involved to get by on a day by day basis. We have experimented with value adding to the produce - smoking the catfish and with some cricket recipies. Middle men seem to find our place and buy all the crickets, pigs and mushrooms. This is convenient but takes a resonably large slice out of potential returns. I aim to focus on the marketing and merchandising to see if it is worth the effort to retain a higher portion of the returns. My main problem is that I am away much of the time on foreign assignments and this creates a weal point in the plan. I really need to be there to continuously inject the support (not financial) and ideas. Book keeping is also a problem - record keeping and financial management are the next factors to look at. It brings great pleasure and a degree of frustration - but the overall situation is posiive and worth it - especially as it gives my family improved financial autonomy and the dignity that goes with it.

• Like 1

Great thread.

Glad you like it.

Do you or a friend have a Farming story to share?

We would be happy to hear it.

I used to chase cows a long time ago.

Ridden a few too.

But that is not Thai related.

Edited by TwoDogz

Little Black Pigs

Anybody tried keeping them? My wife insists that in her region you can get more per Kilo for the little black pigs than the white commercial ones.

She says they taste like the wild pigs as they are allowed to forage for themselves. She also says they have bigger litters and are easy to keep.

Any experiences of rearing them. Let us know if it's truth or myth.

Please only reply if you know your Pig from your Ass

Edited by grimleybob

Grimleybob, posted be me 6 years ago:

"Moo Pha (wild boars): We often get the opportunity to eat 100% moo pha from the forest, 2 metres behind our house. A couple of locals shoot and trap them quite regularly, despite the fact that my only close neighbour is the forest rangers station! My wife did previously try her hand at breeding and growing moo pha while I was occupied by my cattle. These were around 80% pure moo pha (as are normally farmed). She looked after them for nearly one year; had around 25 at peak. Waste of time! Other Thais around here who have tried agree. Fatten them like domestic pigs (moo baan) and customers complain the meat is, funny enough, just like moo baan (and why then should they fork out extra money?). Feed them naturally and the (live-pig buying) customer complains they are too thin. They are wild muscular animals in the wild that don't get the opportunity to deposit much fat!

I expect you could make a go of it if you fed/managed them naturally, slaughtered & butchered them, and marketed the meat in the cities (where the meat commands a much higher value). Build strong walls extending under the ground should anyone wish to try farming moo pha - they are true escape-artists who just love your neighbours crops!"

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Where are these people growing Palm Oil in Isaan ? They need 5-350 ltrs water per day. Dry spell cannot be more than 60 days. Rainfall around than 1800mm per year or min 150mm monthly. Plus 6 hrs sunlight per day.

If they are growing in Isaan, then I would have to assume that they are being grown by farmers that have access to water year- round.

I have a friend here in Loei province. He and his Thai wife recently attended some kind of seminar about oil palms. Apparently he and his wife have been sold on the idea. They have jumped in the business big time. They are buying more land to plant more trees. The trees are only knee high and now he is talking about an extraction plant.

A friend of mine from Krabi always used to call this area the high desert. Most of Loei area trees are or will be at about 1,000 feet elevation while some are about 1,500 foot elevation. Rainfall is quite limited. I hope for my Loei friends sake that he knows what he is doing. There must be a reason that there are no palm oil plantations in this area.

• Like 1

I have a friend here in Loei province. He and his Thai wife recently attended some kind of seminar about oil palms. Apparently he and his wife have been sold on the idea. They have jumped in the business big time. They are buying more land to plant more trees. The trees are only knee high and now he is talking about an extraction plant.

A friend of mine from Krabi always used to call this area the high desert. Most of Loei area trees are or will be at about 1,000 feet elevation while some are about 1,500 foot elevation. Rainfall is quite limited. I hope for my Loei friends sake that he knows what he is doing. There must be a reason that there are no palm oil plantations in this area.

Government tried to stsrt it up around here, even build a big dam for irrigation, don't think it was a big success as like everything if it worked everyone would be planting. Rubber and cassava mostly not much palm. Jim

Well David I think the biggest challenge here is to appear to stay within the expected norms. Change is resisted and jealousy is rampant. Once you learn to not worry about things that cannot or will not change, you're free to just get on and do what you plan.

I had a well thought out plan (8 years in the making) and have stuck to it, albeit at a very slowed pace. Things change and compromises are needed. I am nearly over getting angry at the disappointments and broken promises, just need to adjust to doing more myself. When it is all said and done, slowly is better than never... One thing hasn't changed, it is still fun

• Like 1

To anyone stuck in a ruck, trying to force their plan to work:

“No U-turns” should stay retired with Thatcher. Sticking to a plan can be fatal, and worse, stupid. Business demands constant re-appraisal, willingness to recognize mistakes and insurmountable problems, and constant evolution that leads to success possibly in a way not originally planned. Success, however you define it personally, is more valuable and commendable than tenacity in keeping to a plan, no matter how well thought out. Unforeseen circumstances and changes in circumstances may thwart the best of plans. Flexibility has greater strength than rigidity. Constantly analyse alternatives. This effort will be rewarded.

Rgds

Khonwan

good thinking mate...most of what happened in my little life has been by default and for whatever reason has not worked out too bad.

Sad that we spend/spent so much time on sweating the small stuff..lost a lot along the way for sure ,like many, but still here and battling....

Maybe one day will get a chance to meet up with all you fellow sufferers....555.

If any of yous are down south Krabi way love to get blotto and we can cry on each others shoulders...I promise to put up the first half dozen cases of beer and maybe a bottle of indifferent scotch or two plus gratis food....lots of floor space and doonas available...PM me eh!

.take care me 'earties.....

Oh ! and the light of my life the wife IS a good cook! .....Makes the best BBQ pork ribs and sauce this side of the Mekong.tongue.png

Cheers from an old fart...

d

It is indeed a fine line between banging your head against a brick wall and having the persistence

nearly all small businesses require to succeed. As khowan says flexibility is key but that doesn't mean losing sight of your goals.

It may just mean bending a bit and going around the wall.

Having said that I have never really set goals and I feel that has helped me to so far have a wonderful freedom/life to just follow my fancy (usually a lady smile.png )

It is only recently I have started thinking I should grow up abit and get my act together financially and suprise suprise things are falling into place.

Going back to the OP I would say yes there is money to be made in farming here but the benefits are not just that.

The sense of accomplishment, fresh air and being in a diffrent world are waht gets me. Thailand is indeed a special place for many contradictory reasons but everyday it makes me feel alive whereas back in the UK most people resemble

the walking dead.

As to pitfalls they are numerous but mostly the head bashing mentioned before and spending too much money on stuff you don't need.

• Like 1

For those of us who have to make a living out of farming, planning is essential. The investment is substantial and there are no safetynets in thailand. But that does not exclude being flexible. Any good plan can and must be adjusted to circumstances all the time. otherwise its not planning its dogma.

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

My plan, when I started farming earlier in the year was that I would be the boss and use local labour to do the actual work.

I soon realised that the local labour was expensive and they did crap work.

If I complained about the work they would actually say " Why do you care? you are rich! You don't need to make a profit."

As well as that, people would turn up for work when they felt like it, not when I wanted the work done.

When I have seen people working on neighbouring farms, I have gone over and chatted with them. I've seen a totally differnt work ethic and have some phone numbers. I am building contacts.

I will be lucky to break even this year, but I now have some more contacts. I won't use local labour if I can help it in futuire. the closer they are to you, the more they will take the piss.

Isaan is a farming area, but so many have no idea how to farm, well maybe they do, but decide not to put in the effort if it is not their farm.

• Like 2

My plan, when I started farming earlier in the year was that I would be the boss and use local labour to do the actual work.

If I complained about the work they would actually say " Why do you care? you are rich! You don't need to make a profit."

As well as that, people would turn up for work when they felt like it, not when I wanted the work done.

When I have seen people working on neighbouring farms, I have gone over and chatted with them. I've seen a totally differnt work ethic and have some phone numbers. I am building contacts.

I will be lucky to break even this year, but I now have some more contacts. I won't use local labour if I can help it in futuire. the closer they are to you, the more they will take the piss.

Isaan is a farming area, but so many have no idea how to farm, well maybe they do, but decide not to put in the effort if it is not their farm.

Maybe one day someone will explain the thought process behind this attitude. Same thing happened here to me.

Maybe one day someone will explain the thought process behind this attitude. Same thing happened here to me.

this is true capitalism:

they getting the most out (money from you) with the least effort invested.( their passable work)

thais arent that much behind in this, it seems ;)