Crumpets At Butter Is Better

butterisbetter

Butter is Better -

Please let UG know. He was looking for some to try.

Harry - I agree. But on the other hand a little gratin cheddar, strawberry jam. or even leftovers from last night's currry can go well. Depending on your inclination!

By Nim city branch do you mean where Rimping is located? I go to Rimping at least once a week and have never noticed your shop there. If it is located there it is poorly advertised.

Not that easy to miss really. Facing the front of Rimping, it's only about 10 meters or less to the left. I usually take a peek in the window when I go to Rimping to look for their apple pie but always late and sold out.

What exactly is a crumpet? Sorry about my American ignorance. From the photo, they look like what we'd call "English muffins", which indeed are great with all the toppings mentioned. I'm not too sure about the marmite though. That sounds like something you use to grout bolts into a concrete wall.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

What exactly is a crumpet? Sorry about my American ignorance. From the photo, they look like what we'd call "English muffins", which indeed are great with all the toppings mentioned. I'm not too sure about the marmite though. That sounds like something you use to grout bolts into a concrete wall.

I had to look it up too Nancy. Apparently pretty much like a pancake.

Don't confuse it with this though - In the U.K. the term "crumpet" is sometimes used to refer to an attractive woman, often as the phrase "a bit of crumpet" biggrin.png

Sorry - you are both wrong.

I suppose trying to describe a crumpet and its delight to a NA. is rather like trying to describe grits, cornbread and collard greens to a European. And I speak as a hybrid.

It is not a muffin or a pancake.

It is a....

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=crumpets&hl=en&prmd=imvnse&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=98QLUPT1DciJrAeUzJTICA&ved=0CGUQsAQ&biw=1360&bih=600

Something else.

When we were young we used to toast them in front of a coal fire on a three-prong toasting fork and then ate them smothered is butter. Sounds gross... but it was lovely.

We were poor but we were honest!

• Like 1

Don't confuse it with this though - In the U.K. the term "crumpet" is sometimes used to refer to an attractive woman, often as the phrase "a bit of crumpet" biggrin.png

Cockney rhyming slang for strumpet, first used by Shakespeare to describe 'loose women'.

Funnily enough Captain Jack Sparrow refers to all women as strumpet, even perfectly respectable ones.

In Warwickshire, crumpets are often called pikelets, though I don't think there is any difference in the taste.

Cup of tea and hot buttered crumpets is the way to go.

Edited by uptheos

I suppose trying to describe a crumpet and its delight to a NA. is rather like trying to describe grits, cornbread and collard greens to a European. And I speak as a hybrid.

It is a....

https://www.google.c...iw=1360&bih=600

Something else.

When we were young we used to toast them in front of a coal fire on a three-prong toasting fork and then ate them smothered is butter. Sounds gross... but it was lovely.

Oh, those photos look great -- although there seems to be as much variation in "interpretation" as there is with American cornbread. Something has got to be good if it's a good carrier for butter!

I hope B is B has them for a while -- I won't be over to that side of town for a few weeks. Meanwhile, I'll look into making them at home. From the photos it looks like you make 'em like pancakes. Hum ...... I wonder if I can make them with Bisquick ............... or maybe that's just for American butter carriers like biscuits, pancakes and shortbread.

It is a....

Something else.

Oh, those photos look great -- although there seems to be as much variation in "interpretation" as there is with American cornbread. Something has got to be good if it's a good carrier for butter!

I hope B is B has them for a while -- I won't be over to that side of town for a few weeks. Meanwhile, I'll look into making them at home. From the photos it looks like you make 'em like pancakes. Hum ...... I wonder if I can make them with Bisquick ............... or maybe that's just for American butter carriers like biscuits, pancakes and shortbread.

If you really want to make them have a look at the Australian Masterchef season 3 episode 2 in the first 15 minutes. They are made with yeast.

It is a....

Something else.

You're how old?

It is a....

Something else.

You're how old?

62 years,,,, still bear the scars and am proud of the scars.... and you?

Well,they are made with a batter but they don't taste like a pancake. Nor like an english muffin. The hard part about making crumpets is creating the holes. The holes are are crucial since once toasted the butter that you then slather on completely saturates the crumpet via the holes. But it's not easy coming up with a recipe that gets those holes to form and then to remain. I tried and modified lots and lots of recipes before coming up with one that worked. Even now, we have to throw away a few from each batch because they are too blind (too few holes).

It is a....

Something else.

If you really want to make them have a look at the Australian Masterchef season 3 episode 2 in the first 15 minutes. They are made with yeast.

I yield Harry!

I will try the recipie with yeast!

I am with you Nancy. When I looked at the picture the first thought in my mind was Eggs Benedict

and the next one was Eggs Mcmuffin. Got to admit that some of those concoctions sound pretty tasty.

I even thought about Peanut Butter.

• Like 1

I am with you Nancy. When I looked at the picture the first thought in my mind was Eggs Benedict

and the next one was Eggs Mcmuffin. Got to admit that some of those concoctions sound pretty tasty.

I even thought about Peanut Butter.

Dolly I am shocked that you as a Canadian do not know what a crumpet is.. Every supermarket in the country sells them and always have. They are in the bread section and usually placed beside the english muffins

Crumpets and muffins are very different, you wouldn't use a crumpet for eggs benedict nor for the infamous Eggs McMuffin since the latter would need to be rebadged as Eggs McCrumpet and wouldn't be that great.

• Like 1

Pikelets (spelled pyclets in Derby) and crumpets are different depending on where you live:

Wiki

English crumpet

Crumpets are generally circular roughly 7 cm in diameter and roughly 2 cm thick. Their shape comes from being restrained in the pan/griddle by a shallow ring. They have a characteristic flat top with many small pores and a chewy and spongy texture. They may be cooked until ready to eat warm from the pan, but are frequently left slightly undercooked so that they may be cooled and stored before being eaten freshly toasted. In Australia and New Zealand, branded square crumpets can be purchased from supermarkets, designed to fit easily in a standard toaster.[4]

In England, there is also a regional variant of the crumpet called the pikelet. It is usually made from the same batter as a crumpet, but the way in which it differs from a crumpet varies from place to place. In some parts of England (for example in the Midlands, around Wolverhampton) a pikelet is simply a crumpet without holes. In other parts (for example, Lancashire) it has holes, but is wider, thinner and more irregular than a crumpet because it is made without being restrained by a mould, and so spreads in the pan (or griddle) while cooking.[5]

In other areas, particularly Wales, Australia and New Zealand, a 'pikelet' is very different from a crumpet—the word describes something very similar to what in Scotland and North America is called a pancake and in England is called a Scotch pancake, girdle or griddle cake, or drop scone.[6]

Crumpets are usually eaten toasted just like a piece of bread. If you eat them without toasting you will probably think you are eating a dough ball.

I disagree. I think an unheated crumpet tastes more like a sponge made out of flour but not as tasty. The first time we succeeded in making a reasonable version of a crumpet, I ate one after it cooled and thought it was another failure. They really do have to be toasted.

Pikelets (spelled pyclets in Derby) and crumpets are different depending on where you live:

Wiki

English crumpet

Crumpets are generally circular roughly 7 cm in diameter and roughly 2 cm thick. Their shape comes from being restrained in the pan/griddle by a shallow ring. They have a characteristic flat top with many small pores and a chewy and spongy texture. They may be cooked until ready to eat warm from the pan, but are frequently left slightly undercooked so that they may be cooled and stored before being eaten freshly toasted. In Australia and New Zealand, branded square crumpets can be purchased from supermarkets, designed to fit easily in a standard toaster.[4]

In England, there is also a regional variant of the crumpet called the pikelet. It is usually made from the same batter as a crumpet, but the way in which it differs from a crumpet varies from place to place. In some parts of England (for example in the Midlands, around Wolverhampton) a pikelet is simply a crumpet without holes. In other parts (for example, Lancashire) it has holes, but is wider, thinner and more irregular than a crumpet because it is made without being restrained by a mould, and so spreads in the pan (or griddle) while cooking.[5]

In other areas, particularly Wales, Australia and New Zealand, a 'pikelet' is very different from a crumpet—the word describes something very similar to what in Scotland and North America is called a pancake and in England is called a Scotch pancake, girdle or griddle cake, or drop scone.[6]

No, I don't believe in square crumpets. It's obscene, like a square tomato or a square orange.

Crumpets are circular, spongy, usually a trifle burnt on the toasting fork in front of a log fire, and slathered with butter. If it doesn't fit that definition, it's not a true crumpet.

• Like 1

Here's my feedback, which I must admit is based on the Australian crumpet which I love, I have never seen what this product looks like in other countries:

- I bought 4 yesterday at your shop in the NIm center near Rimping.

- Very tasty indeed after the ceremonial toasting, and with a pile of butter and very thick vegemite on mine.

- A little small, would personally prefer a bit bigger in diameter and in thickness (just my taste of course)

- A little bit salty for my taste but still very nice

- Your staff need a little help with the spelling on the sign (should be crumpet rather than crum pet, unless of course the Australian spelling is different, just a small point of course)

- As said, bought 4, three scoffed by my Thai family with jam and cheese, and with my Thai daughter in law mentioning she will be near the shop today and she will buy more.

- I will now check everytime I go to Rimping, and purchase your crumpets if they have stock, and I won't be allowed to forget because my granddaughter will certainly prompt me.

Thank you.