Convert Uk M'Bike Licence To Thai M'Bike Licence?

Easy answer yes you can get a Thai DL (no conversion necessary). Take the necessary documents and you should be given a new one, no you do not need to test again, I had a German license (changed from UK to German), and was issued an initial one year, now happily got my 5 year, and also used it to rent cars in the UK last time I was home. You will have to do the colour blindness test, and a few other ones, but nothing hard.

A large amount of info is inaccurate, misleading, or way out of date on that site:

"Behind the main building, in between the food stalls and the toilets you will find a small shop that will cut and laminate your license for a minimal fee."

We haven't had laminated DL's here for what, 7-8 years?

"Once you have been in Thailand for a period extending 3 months, you will neen aan Thai driving licence"

You can in fact drive on a home DL in Thailand for lots longer than 3 months, as long as you are still a tourist and not a resident. On a tourist visa it is impossible to legally stay in Thailand for more than 30 days continuously without doing a border run, so that is why they say 3 mo, but it is misleading.

"If you can not read and / nor understand the Thai language, you are allowed to bring a interpreter to fill the forms and translate the possible instruction class and tests."

Most main LTD's have materials in English now.

"Depth Perception Test"

There is no depth perception test anymore.

"(tourists can not apply)."

Tourists can and do often get Thai DL's, although perhaps they shouldn't be acording to the law.

"Several insurance companies have a fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered."

Not true. They say you must be legally licensed to drive in Thailand.

"Tip: The letter from the embassy is the fastest option, but the immigration office will provide this service for free. However, it will take them 3-6 weeks to complete and an officer from your local police station will visit your place of residence for verification."

Sillyness. Any of you long term 10+ year guys remember it ever being like this? Certainly hasn't in the 11 years I have lived here.

Easy answer yes you can get a Thai DL (no conversion necessary). Take the necessary documents and you should be given a new one, no you do not need to test again, I had a German license (changed from UK to German), and was issued an initial one year, now happily got my 5 year, and also used it to rent cars in the UK last time I was home. You will have to do the colour blindness test, and a few other ones, but nothing hard.

Yeah this is all correct, although it's semantics as to whether you want to call it a "conversion". I would say it is, as it distinguishes it from getting a Thai DL the regular way. In a "conversion" you are using your home license in order to avoid having to watch the video and taking the driving and written tests.

A person or two have reported they were asked for an IDP in order to "convert" their home license, but this doesn't seem to be the SOP. Plus it doesn't make since because you can only get an IDP in your home country. I was asked to print out the webpage from my home state DMV website which explains which class of license it is. If you don't have an IDP, then I suggest you do this before you go the the Thai LTD.

Edited by NomadJoe

I renewed my license three days ago and had to take depth perception test.

Doesn't surprise me. Some people were reporting they didn't have to do that. As usual, not all DTL's are the same..

And I recently got a new license and it was the laminated kind.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

That I will not believe unless I see it. They began fazing out the laminated kind donkey's years ago. Are you sure you know what laminated means? At what LTD did you get it? Nakhon nowhere?

On a tourist visa it is impossible to legally stay in Thailand for more than 30 days continuously without doing a border run, so that is why they say 3 mo, but it is misleading.

Depends on nationality. My tourist visa is valid for 60 days stay with the option of extending for a further 30 days at my local immy office.

On a tourist visa it is impossible to legally stay in Thailand for more than 30 days continuously without doing a border run, so that is why they say 3 mo, but it is misleading.

Depends on nationality. My tourist visa is valid for 60 days stay with the option of extending for a further 30 days at my local immy office.

yes of course, I brain farted on that one. Very tired today. At any rate it makes the 30 day comment on that website even more nonsensical.

Got mine at Sukhumvit 62 branch a few days ago and all I needed was medical cert, passport, Uk drivers license and residency letter. Had to do reaction times test, depth perception and colour test.

^ Thanks Garry. Answers the question about whether an IDP is needed, at least as far as that LTD is concerned.

Hi NJ,

No problem and just to add, I did produce my IDP, but it wasn't required. It's really good to have my licenses now. It's like having a key to the executive washroom. Cops are really pleased to see the license, as they know hoops we have to go through to get one. Taking my family to the recreational parks etc is even better, as I will pay the Thai price. No Farang / tourist markup. :)

Sent from my iPhone 3 using ThaiVisa app

^ Thanks Garry. Answers the question about whether an IDP is needed, at least as far as that LTD is concerned.

Hi NJ,

No problem and just to add, I did produce my IDP, but it wasn't required. It's really good to have my licenses now. It's like having a key to the executive washroom. Cops are really pleased to see the license, as they know hoops we have to go through to get one. Taking my family to the recreational parks etc is even better, as I will pay the Thai price. No Farang / tourist markup. smile.png

Have you ever been asked to produce your IDP by anyone?

Hi NJ,

No problem and just to add, I did produce my IDP, but it wasn't required. It's really good to have my licenses now. It's like having a key to the executive washroom. Cops are really pleased to see the license, as they know hoops we have to go through to get one. Taking my family to the recreational parks etc is even better, as I will pay the Thai price. No Farang / tourist markup. smile.png

Have you ever been asked to produce your IDP by anyone?

Yes, but only the one time, when I rented a car many years ago. To be honest IDP are good for automobile association memberships but very lacking in translation services. Apart from the country language where you acquire it and common English language, there should be an option for what other countries you would like in it. I know it's probably international conventions justifying the languages in the permit, but it would be nice if I could have elected for a Thai translation entry.

And I recently got a new license and it was the laminated kind.

That I will not believe unless I see it. They began fazing out the laminated kind donkey's years ago. Are you sure you know what laminated means? At what LTD did you get it? Nakhon nowhere?

I know exactly what laminated means and yes I was recently issued with one.

Phanomtuan DLT just north of Kanchanaburi.

I have the credit card type of license and also had to do the depth perception test, but only for the first one year one, for the renewal for the 5 year license not tests were required.

Hi Beano,

My 5 year licenses are due for renewal in December.............can you confirm for me if I can renew them before the expiration dates or have to apply once they have expired? If that makes sense. :-(

I know exactly what laminated means and yes I was recently issued with one.

Phanomtuan DLT just north of Kanchanaburi.

Please post a photo of it.

The only way this is possible is if their computers were down and so they issued the old style temporarily.

Edited by NomadJoe

Got mine at Sukhumvit 62 branch a few days ago and all I needed was medical cert, passport, Uk drivers license and residency letter. Had to do reaction times test, depth perception and colour test.

Thank you to all that replied. It's why TV is so good!

Couple of questions

Is there a form for the medical, or do I just go to the Dr and ask for a check up ( he provides the cert ), and where do I get the "residency letter" from? Isn't my non O visa sufficient?

Hi Beano,

My 5 year licenses are due for renewal in December.............can you confirm for me if I can renew them before the expiration dates or have to apply once they have expired? If that makes sense. :-(

If you renew it before it expires you get validity until your birthday in five years.

If you renew after it expires (after your birthday) you will get almost six years validity.

• Like 1

Hi Beano,

If you renew it before it expires you get validity until your birthday in five years.

If you renew after it expires (after your birthday) you will get almost six years validity.

Thanks for the info. Is there a time frame for renewal before the license expires? What I mean is..........can I renew with say, 30 days remaining?

Hi Beano,

Thanks for the info. Is there a time frame for renewal before the license expires? What I mean is..........can I renew with say, 30 days remaining?

I have heard 2 months before bur I renewed 1,5 weeks after my birthday.

Couple of questions

Is there a form for the medical, or do I just go to the Dr and ask for a check up ( he provides the cert ), and where do I get the "residency letter" from? Isn't my non O visa sufficient?

Just go to a local clinic or a doctor for a medical certificate and tell em what it's for they usually know.

A residency letter is proof address, you need your passport aswell, a letter from you local police station for proof of address or your local government province office, a work permit or a yellow house book.

You will need photocopy's of all of these items, well they did in my local DLT.

lots of updated info here, this is pinned on the car forum but much the same for bikes as it is for cars.

http://www.thaivisa....s/page__st__800

What seems to be in the main is that DLT's around the country appear to do things differently or maybe it depends on what side of the bed they got out of in the morning.

The photo type card UK licenses are much the same as Thai ones now, eg like credit cards, in the main UK license holders usually have no problem in obtaining Thai car or bike licenses as they are already in English and clearly state car, motorbike etc.

I have to say if you only have a full UK motorbike license alone, I am not sure if you are treated differently.

It's easy peasy just go and do it.biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Couple of questions

Just go to a local clinic or a doctor for a medical certificate and tell em what it's for they usually know.

A residency letter is proof address, you need your passport aswell, a letter from you local police station for proof of address or your local government province office, a work permit or a yellow house book.

You will need photocopy's of all of these items, well they did in my local DLT.

lots of updated info here, this is pinned on the car forum but much the same for bikes as it is for cars.

http://www.thaivisa....s/page__st__800

What seems to be in the main is that DLT's around the country appear to do things differently or maybe it depends on what side of the bed they got out of in the morning.

The photo type card UK licenses are much the same as Thai ones now, eg like credit cards, in the main UK license holders usually have no problem in obtaining Thai car or bike licenses as they are already in English and clearly state car, motorbike etc.

I have to say if you only have a full UK motorbike license alone, I am not sure if you are treated differently.

It's easy peasy just go and do it.biggrin.png

Thanks very much for addressing my question.