Thai Passport Renewal

Ok the story goes something like this. Were both in the U.K

The wifes passport expires in September this year, and we are going to Thailand in June, so would it be easier to renew her passport and visa in London or is it better to wait till we get to Bangkok?

Also how do we go about moving her visa from her old passport to her new one? She has indefinate leave to remain with no restricitons on work. She actually qulaifies to apply for a U.K passport now as she has been here for 4 years but doesnt want to apply as she thinks it will be too much hassle.

One more thing does anyone know if she can have a 10 year passport or has it got to be just the 5 year passport?

Thanks for any advice. I am sure some it will be passed on by the dodgy northener :o Dont worry only joking Scouse :D

Hi Daleyboy,

It's probably easier for your wife to sort out her passport in Bangkok when you're there in June. If she's had her current passport for only 5 years, it will normally be extended for another 5, in which case you don't have to worry about having her ILR transferred.

Even when your missus gets a brand new passport she doesn't need to have her UK status transferred (which costs money): she can just carry the old and the new passports.

Cheers,

Scouse.

One thing to keep in mind is that Thailand has changed passports to a much higher security type so am not at all sure they will extend the older type in Bangkok anymore. The MFA has taken all passport information off there web site for the last several months but the London Embassy appears to have a good page in Thai at Passport

Thansk for the link lop, trouble is i dont read Thai, and the wife is useless at translating. I was just wondering if you or someone else who can read thai could possibly give me a rough translation of what it says.

I just need to know if i should renew the pssport here or in Bangkok

Thanks for the help

Thansk for the link lop, trouble is i dont read Thai, and the wife is useless at translating. I was just wondering if you or someone else who can read thai could possibly give me a rough translation of what it says.

I just need to know if i should renew the pssport here or in Bangkok

Thanks for the help

Renew in Bangkok with the new passport system is easier. QUICK...EASY...PAINLESS

At Bangna branch (Central department store - 5th floor). The wait is around 1 hour...then only 5-10 min. to make the passport. With the new system, your wife won't have to fill out any application at all...if she has the current thai ID card...they will just scan her ID card!.. scan her finger prints...then she has to write down her signature twice. The fee is 1000 baths..this is also included her photo service done by them as well.

Also ask her to bring her house registration with her.

She should be able to pick up the new passport in 2 days...or they can send to the thai address for 35 baths extra.

Cool thanks for that Bkk, not sure what yo mean by house registration documents though. We dont own a house in Thailand.:o

house registration or a.k.a "her thai TABIEN BAAN copy" she should know this document if she still has her thai ID card.

If you want them to send her passport to the thai address...just make sure someone will be at the house at all time when the mailman shows up, otherwise it will be returned to the office...'cause the mailman - as instructed - will not leave the new passport at the gate!

Cool thanks for that Bkk, not sure what yo mean by house registration documents though. We dont own a house in Thailand.:o

house registration or a.k.a "her thai TABIEN BAAN copy" she should know this document if she still has her thai ID card.

If you want them to send her passport to the thai address...just make sure someone will be at the house at all time when the mailman shows up, otherwise it will be returned to the office...'cause the mailman - as instructed - will not leave the new passport at the gate!

What if she does not have a copy of the tabien baan? Is the tabien baan the papaer that has evryone's name on it like mother, brothers and sisters?

If it is as easy as you descibe, I would have my wife try it. If it is like anything else in thailand(example getting her I.D. card) I will just have her do it at the thai consulate near chicago.

It took us over 3 years(trips) to Thailand to get her I.D. card brcause her mother remarried and moved from Prachin buri to Bangkok. I even offer to pay extra to get it done (tea money) and it still took for ever.(this is the short version) Pain in the ARSE!

PKG

What if she does not have a copy of the tabien baan? Is the tabien baan the papaer that has evryone's name on it like mother, brothers and sisters?

If it is as easy as you descibe, I would have my wife try it. If it is like anything else in thailand(example getting her I.D. card) I will just have her do it at the thai consulate near chicago.

It took us over 3 years(trips) to Thailand to get her I.D. card brcause her mother remarried and moved from Prachin buri to Bangkok. I even offer to pay extra to get it done (tea money) and it still took for ever.(this is the short version) Pain in the ARSE!

PKG

Yes, TABIEAN BAAN - is the paper that has everyone names on it - who are thais of course!

How did your wife has/make her id card without the copy of thai tabien baan?

...in the US she can also make a list of everyone in her thai familly on the form supplied by the embassy here. But she has to have a copy of the original somewhere with her....otherwise how can she know everyone birthdates?

Yes, making a new passport in Thailand is easy as described...as long as she has the new current biometric ID card.

For making an ID card they will scan both thumbs...as for passport they will scan both index fingers.

About how long is to obtain the ID card is another matter, depending on each and individual situation. The fee is about 25 baths + (200-700 baths penalty fee for some odd cases).

The easiest way to obtain the thai ID card is to make sure your wife has her name in one of her family members tabien baan..always. It's like having 2 addresses (one in Thailand and one in the US)...parent's tabiean baan is the best, since she has to visit them anyway while in Thailand. They won't be asking how long does she live there per year - as long as 2 of her family members acknowledged on the form that ..Yes she live here while in Thailand.

Edited by BKK90210