Thai Retirement Visa Expiring While Overseas

I have a Yank friend, been here on a retirement visa for several years.

In late May, he left Thailand using a single exit/re-entry visa to visit South Island in New Zealand for two weeks. Shortly after arriving, he started having back trouble --- attributed later to airline seating quality (or the lack thereof) --- which resulted in his being immobilized. Long term. He gets the impression that doctors will give him "walking papers" early in September.

Before that time, however, his Thai retirement visa will expire (as will his exit/re-entry visa which is keyed to the retirement visa expiry date).

Is there possibly a standard procedure anyone is aware of, which he could invoke before he returns to Thailand, so that he can avoid having to start from scratch in applying for a new retirement visa? Naturally I'm thinking of some sort of appeal to the Thai embassy in Auckland which could verify his enforced immobility and thereafter issue some sort of extension because of emergency, unusual circumstances, "act of God", whatever?

And, if not, what would be the least burdensome path for him to follow to get a new retirement visa? And would that start with a choice of a particular visa type?

I'm asking for him because the guy's flat on his back, 700 km from Auckland in a South Island version of "Outback", communications, including phone, to wherever he is, are at best spotty, he doesn't pretend to be computer competent, and he's having to work through an intermediary who's more unfamiliar than I have become regarding Thai visa requirements.

I thank you.

If he can obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa prior to return it would help - if not a tourist visa would allow travel without need of onward flight and he can then obtain change inside Thailand with proof of financials for retirement and during the last 30 days of that 90 day entry do a new retirement extension of stay. It is the same paperwork and requirements each time so noting much lost by his not being able to return earlier. There is no provision to do anything from outside Thailand for extensions of stay so will start over - but as said same paperwork anyhow so nothing really lost.

• Like 1

If he can obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa prior to return it would help - if not a tourist visa would allow travel without need of onward flight and he can then obtain change inside Thailand with proof of financials for retirement and during the last 30 days of that 90 day entry do a new retirement extension of stay. It is the same paperwork and requirements each time so noting much lost by his not being able to return earlier. There is no provision to do anything from outside Thailand for extensions of stay so will start over - but as said same paperwork anyhow so nothing really lost.

Lop is giving you good advice. My Retirement extension expired while I've been back in the USA. I just received a new, single entry 90 Day Non Immigrant O from the Portland, Oregon Thai Consulate, seven days processing by mail.

• Like 1