Movers & Shakers Network | Friday August 31St 2012

movers_and_shakers_aug_31.jpg

Date: FRIDAY AUGUST 31st 2012

Venue: Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel | THE GLAZ BAR

Time: 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM

Invited: All business professionals!

MOVERS & SHAKERS CORPORATE CHARITY NETWORK EVENT

"East meets West": Meet your ESB colleagues!

Venue-Sponsor:

Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel | THE GLAZ BAR

Chic and cosmopolitan, The Glaz Bar provides guests nightly live entertainment and complimented attentive service. Easily accessible from the lobby and the sidewalk of 5-star Plaza Athenee Hotel.

www.plazaatheneebangkok.com

Network-Sponsors:

THE TULIP GROUP

World class property developer of Condominiums, Hotels & Resorts in Bangkok & Pattaya.

www.tulipgroup.co.th

SPOTLIGHT INTERVIEW with KOBI ELBAZ (CEO TULIP Group):

...Find out about their motivation to be involved in Movers & Shakers

ADMISSION

THB 400 for ALL Ladies and VIP Voucher-Members (Use your voucher and pay only THB 400!)

THB 750 for Everyone Else

VIP-MEMBERSHIP

VIP-Member Vouchers Booklets available at the Ticket Desk.

Each Booklet has 12 VIP-Member Vouchers which you can use as you need or share with friends.

1 BOOKLET = 2000 THB

SPECIAL OFFER VIP-Member Booklets

BUY 3 GET 1 FREE!

DRESS TO IMPRESS

Casual elegant or business attire is most appreciated.

TRANSPORT

Easy access by BTS Skytrain at PLOENCHIT, walk onto Wireless Road, 300mtr on your left side.

DIRECTIONS by car;

Approx. 40 mins. by using the Bangkok-Chon Buri (Motorway) towards the Bangkok City centre and exit at South Ploenchit Road and turn onto Sukhumvit Road. Second left onto Wireless Road where the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel is located.

MAP:

www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeridien/property/area/map.html?propertyID=1846

NETWORK PROGRAM

A FREE flow of beer & wine plus a mouthwatering range of delicious finger-snack food are ALL included!

Available while stocks last!

SPOTLIGHT INTERVIEW with KOBI ELBAZ (CEO TULIP Group):

...Find out about their motivation to be involved in Movers & Shakers

Network-Sponsors:

THE TULIP GROUP

World class property developer of Condominiums, Hotels & Resorts in Bangkok & Pattaya.

www.tulipgroup.co.th

www.moversshakerscharity.com

AMAZING CORPORATE NETWORK EVENTS THAT WORK!

BANGKOK CHARITY BENIFICIARRIES

We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give!

The charity beneficiaries of the M&S Bangkok events are:

Education fund for the underprivileged & Sister Joan Evans (PBVM) for her projects in the slum area of Klong Toei

Movers & Shakers has no hands-on involvement in charity donations.

We donate money to projects where every Baht is well-spent.

WAIVER

All terms and conditions are subject to changes and/or review without limitation without prior notice.

Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel

61 Wireless Road (Witthayu),Lumphini, PathumwanBangkok,10330ThailandMap

Phone: (66)(2) 650 8800

For map and directions : www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeridien/property/area/map.html?propertyID=1846

• Like 1

Why should it be cheaper for ladies? Is this some kind of dating event - for which ladies have to be offered a discount in order to entice them to attend?

We have heard similar comments before...

Please allow me to try and explain why this typical door-policy helped us to make the events successful over the years.

And, believe me, it has nothing to do with hook-up events.

The fact of the matter is that men average a higher net-income than most women professionals do; even when their position is very similar.

Therefore we decided to lower the admission-fee for women to enhance their 'presence' on these corporate network functions.

The result of doing so has helped us to grow popularity of these events that started in end 2009 on the Eastern Seaboard.

It also enabled us to raise over 4 Million Baht for charity donations...

It sounds a bit weird, but having women attending corporate network functions; makes them simply more 'attractive' for all of those joining.

The admission fees are actually a prominent 'part' of the charity donations we are able to make as Movers & Shakers is a not-for-profit initiative.

Attending an approx 3 hours gathering at fine 5-star venues with a free flow of food and drinks ain't a bad deal even @ THB 750 entrance fee which is in fact a charity donation.

I hope that explains a little.

Perhaps you could consider to attend one of our events when you are convenient.

If you are a regular "corporate networker"; you will immediately notice the difference....

I'm sorry but that was a terrible attempt to justify the gender-based pricing structure. Yes, the fact of the matter is that women make less money but that doesn't mean you should draw attention to the income disparity. Try telling any woman at your event that you charge them less because they make less money and you'll see them moving and shaking out the door. If that's not the case, then you really are objectifying women in order to get more men to attend. This actually may be less offensive than telling them that they make less money than men. Your strategy doesn't sound weird. It makes sense. It's just like a night club/bar where ladies get in free. More ladies attracts more men, which in turn generates more revenue. Nonetheless, try being more tactful in the future. On the same note, these are "movers and shakers." Personally, I would up it to 10,000 and make it seem "exclusive." 750 baht is nothing. I might attend just for the food and free-flowing beer.

Good luck. Good Cause.

• Like 1

Bottom-line is indeed that we are focused on organizing successful corporate network events; one way or the other.

Whatever you do, whether it is good or bad; there will always be people criticizing your efforts.

Like when we donated a handsome cash-cheque for a charity cause; some people questioned us "How this money will be spend"...

However; doing NOTHING doesn't make this world turn around...

Any comments and suggestions in how to improve these type of corporate network events will always be welcomed and appreciated.

That also goes for individuals that like to be involved organizing them as our team can always use support of serious volunteers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is the free-flow all night? What beer(s) will be included in the free-flow? Are there any spirits and mixers included also?

Is there a limit on the number of people who can attend and, if it gets fully booked, what would the number of attendees be?

And will this be a regular monthly thing, e.g. on the last Friday of each month or similar?

• 2 weeks later...

Is the free-flow all night? What beer(s) will be included in the free-flow? Are there any spirits and mixers included also?

Is there a limit on the number of people who can attend and, if it gets fully booked, what would the number of attendees be?

And will this be a regular monthly thing, e.g. on the last Friday of each month or similar?

The corporate networking event takes place from 6:30 until 9:00 pm.

During this gathering there is a free flow of draft beer and wines, soft drinks and finger snack food as long as stocks last.

Normally there are no spirits available; no champagne or caviar...lol

We normally cater to somewhat 150-200 business people; men and women.

We do not PRE-sale tickets and so we never know how many guests show-up.

The usual venue is normally big enough to accommodate our average number of guests.

Since February 2012 we host a MONTHLY event in Bangkok usually on the last Friday of the month,

However, we tend NOT to clash with any other major similar network function so the dates CAN change from month to month.

The Movers & Shakers Corporate Networking events are focused and organized for 'people in business' here in Thailand; or people that consider working in Thailand.

We are NOT geared to organize TGIF 'drinking events' and so we do not welcome balloon-chasers that are just "in" to load themselves with alcohol.

In fact we "ban" freeloaders from the events; in order to keep-up the high quality of the corporate network.

I hope this answers your questions.

• Like 1

Thanks for the further details. Not sure how someone could be a "freeloader" when the entrance fee is 750 THB though ;)

I do attend these kind of events occasionally, I used to go a lot more often and prefer events that aren't just a big piss-up (in fact, I've stopped going to some before that ended up becoming like that as they got more popular), however a decent supply of good drinks (i.e. not just Singha Light and cheap vodka + soda) and food are important to me if I am to attend - but doesn't have to be champagne fountains and caviar canapes of course.

I might go tomorrow, circumstances permitting. Do you have a date lined up for your September event yet? That would probably be a more likely event for me to go to.

I have attended few networking event in Bangkok, or anywhere else for that matter.

For people that do attend these networking events, why do you go? What do you want to achieve?

I ask that because the few events I have attended it felt that the majority of people were looking for investment, advertising or a job. Whilst I am always looking for investments and always hiring, it was not the best forum for me and I got little out of it.

To be honest, the lower price for women sets of a red flag in my mind. It makes no sense to me to offer women a lower price if they are worthy of being at a networking event of any value.

Why not 10,000baht and having a serious event - speakers, guests, events, food, drinks etc. To me it would be a pre-qualification of the type of person attending. I need to get something of value out of an event.

...maybe these events are just not for me, but I'd value some insight as to what people get out of these events.

Thanks for the further details. Not sure how someone could be a "freeloader" when the entrance fee is 750 THB though wink.png

I do attend these kind of events occasionally, I used to go a lot more often and prefer events that aren't just a big piss-up (in fact, I've stopped going to some before that ended up becoming like that as they got more popular), however a decent supply of good drinks (i.e. not just Singha Light and cheap vodka + soda) and food are important to me if I am to attend - but doesn't have to be champagne fountains and caviar canapes of course.

I might go tomorrow, circumstances permitting. Do you have a date lined up for your September event yet? That would probably be a more likely event for me to go to.

Thanks for your kind reply. I am aware of various "corporate networking" events that completely "miss out" on corporate networking... I avoid them as well.

On Movers & Shakers we employ 'connectors' that monitor the guests and spot wall-flowers. Those are approached and actively 'connected' with others.

Very effective and unexpected 'interactive'. To join one of the Movers & Shakers Corporate Networking events sheds a light on "different networking" so I overheard some feedback from guests that attended them. Or, as "Big Chilli" Magazine published in their latest issue; "It's the talk of the town" in the corporate networking scene.

The September event will be held on the 28th at the R-bar of trendy Renaissance Hotel.

The overall quality of food and drinks exceeds most other networking events as we are "quite picky" where the functions are hosted.

Few of the venues we have been to are: Siam Kempinski; Anatara Riverside; Intercontinental; Conrad; St. Regis etc.

The Plaza Athenee Hotel also has a VERY good reputation and so we expect another superb event tomorrow night with some top-notch guests...

Hope to see you there or on the September event. Ask for "KC".

I have attended few networking event in Bangkok, or anywhere else for that matter.

For people that do attend these networking events, why do you go? What do you want to achieve?

I ask that because the few events I have attended it felt that the majority of people were looking for investment, advertising or a job. Whilst I am always looking for investments and always hiring, it was not the best forum for me and I got little out of it.

To be honest, the lower price for women sets of a red flag in my mind. It makes no sense to me to offer women a lower price if they are worthy of being at a networking event of any value.

Why not 10,000baht and having a serious event - speakers, guests, events, food, drinks etc. To me it would be a pre-qualification of the type of person attending. I need to get something of value out of an event.

...maybe these events are just not for me, but I'd value some insight as to what people get out of these events.

"What do you get out of it" is different for each person you would ask...

Networking is also not "given" for everyone.

You need to be willing to communicate; to interact and to prioritize your goals.

When I meet someone that's is completely not of (business-) interest to me; I will very likely not spend too much time with this person.

For others that ARE (or SEEM) of interest to me; I try to learn more from that person and "ask deeper" to understand more what it is that he or she does.

But again: It is different for everyone.

We are aware of guests that ALWAYS attend simply because they like the overall atmosphere and are happy to stick with their little group of contacts they already have.

Personally I always want to GROW my contact base as it has brought my business huge benefits; awareness and helped me branding my brand.

In business it matters who you know. Networking is a way to meet others and to grow in useful contacts.

Movers & Shakers is focused and specialized in "standard" corporate networking events.

High-profile workshops and seminars don't have our active involvement as M&S is driven by professionals that already run serious enterprises, whereby most of their input and hands-on involvement is on a voluntary bases. We are no professional event organizers. We are business entrepreneurs.

I hope this helps.