7-24-2012 Retirement Extension Experience in Bangkok - No Problems

* Retire extension at Bangkok for husband with foreign wife as dependent (both USA citizens) as we have done for the past 14 years.

* We used retirement extension forms and re-entry forms downloaded from the internet and filled them out in advance, along with putting new photos on them. (Must be photos taken within past six months.)

* Arrived at Immigration Building 8:20 AM and about 60-70 people in line.

* Door opened 8:30 and almost everyone walked past the desk to pick up forms because they already had their forms filled out. So almost everyone went to the desk to pick up queue tickets.

* We were number 8 for retirement extension and only had to wait about 15 minutes before our number was called as four officers were processing people.

* The officer was very efficient, business-like, pleasant. He only wanted:

= Normal copies of various passport pages, with every page signed at the bottom.

= USA Consul affidavit of monthly income. No proof was asked for this like was done last year with us.

= Copy of marriage license and translation (why every year?)

= Copy of bank passbook pages I included was not given back, so not sure if required or not. He didn't ask to see the passbook.

= He didn't ask for address proof (we have stayed at the same address every year.)

= No requirement for health certificate (this was stopped a few years ago.)

* The officer had me fill out a form to evaluate the effectiveness of Immigration in many areas. I checked off "excellent" on every line. This was actually true. The form also wanted name, address, email, phone on it. Not sure if this was a requirement though

* The officer had me sign a form attesting to the fact that retirees cannot work, etc. Same as last few years.

* Photos were taken into the officer's computer.

* We needed to put a mobile contact number on the top of the application forms.

* He gave me the paperwork, had me go pay the 1,900 Baht each and come back with the paperwork while he waited.

* He then stamped the extension info into the passports, had another person review his stamps and sign off, and we were done.

* Finished by 9:15

* Next went downstairs for copies needed for re-entry permits, back upstairs to get queue numbers. We were #31 and #24 was already being processed. Took about 30 minutes before we were finished being processed (3,800 Baht each for multiple re-entry stamps.

* Finished with everything at 9:55

* Overall a pleasant experience. Not crowded at all (about half full or less). Pleasant officers. No surprises.

• Like 2

Can you confirm...are both you and your wife (applying for extension as dependent) over 50?

After applying for extensions, similiar situation - married UK/US, for 6 years ,was informed by

Immigration that wife, now over 50 has to apply for individual extension with own financial support.

Can you confirm...are both you and your wife (applying for extension as dependent) over 50?

After applying for extensions, similiar situation - married UK/US, for 6 years ,was informed by

Immigration that wife, now over 50 has to apply for individual extension with own financial support.

That is not the case, immigration accepts that only one applies for an extension based on retirement and the other spouse can be a dependent.

Which immigration office are you using?

Yes we are both over 50 (well over). Bangkok Immigration about 4 or 5 years ago for a 3-4 week period tried changing the rule that a wife can be a dependent and only the husband needs the financial support. We were caught in that situation and the officer wanted us BOTH to have 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank or BOTH to have the 65,000 monthly support. But then this new rule was rescinded 3-4 weeks later and we did not have to come up with the additional funds. So, no, only ONE has to have the finances (either husband or wife) and the other comes "free" as the spouse's dependent, just like has been done for many, many years (before my time). At least this is the rule for retirees in Bangkok.