Advice Needed About Visiting Chiang Mai Please

anon21

Hi Gang,

I visited Thailand for the first time last January. I had a great time in Ko Samui.

I am returning to Thailand on 19th August and will fly back to the UK on 16th November. For the first three weeks, I shall be in Ko Samui again.

Long term, I am thinking about living/retirement in Thailand, and perhaps using it as a base to visit near-by countries. So my three months' trip is, in part, about seeing whether Thailand and I are going to get along.

After Ko Samui, I thought that I would travel to the mainland. I am aware though that for most of my stay I shall be in the rainy season.

I was thinking of spending time in Chiang Mai. I have heard a lot of good things about it. I have a number of questions though please.

1. Could you recommend a good time to visit Chiang Mai before I return home in mid November? I haven't yet decided how long I would stay there. Much depends on the weather and what you advise. I was thinking of perhaps 3 weeks.

2. I was thinking of renting somewhere (nothing lavish - a clean bed and decent shower). How much is this likely to cost?

4. Is somewhere easy to find eg arriving in Chiang Mai and then walking around looking at rental boards in the street? If so, which is the best district/sector to visit.

3. What about insect repellent? In the UK, they recommend sprays containing DEET. Should I buy something in the UK or buy something local in Thailand, which might be more effective?

4. Do I need to start a course of anti malarial tablets whilst I am in the UK please?

These are my initial questions, and I look forward to reading your suggestions. Thank you.

1. Anytime but check the weather records (easy to find with google) to see what suits you best. Generally the later in the year the cooler it gets.

2. Lots of past threads on this to look at.

4. Probably best to book somewhere for a couple of nights on arrival and then sort out something for the rest of the stay. Where you chose depends on what sort of neighbourhood you are happy living in from down town surrounded by bars or in the suburbs surrounded by barking dogs.

3. Plenty of insect repellant available but bring your own if you want to.

4. Don't bother unless you are going trekking in the jungle in which case consult your own GP for advice.

Enjoy your stay biggrin.png

> 1. Could you recommend a good time to visit Chiang Mai before I return home in mid November?

The later the better. Things dry up somewhere in October; early October can still be very wet in some years. But then the same applies to almost the whole of Thailand, so with that in mind, Chiang Mai may be a place where rain disrupts the holiday experience less than for example a beach destination. Still, the later the better.

2. I was thinking of renting somewhere (nothing lavish - a clean bed and decent shower). How much is this likely to cost?

With or without aircon? Good, clean guesthouse rooms start like 400 baht. With aircon it starts around 700 or so. For a three week stay you probably want to find a place where they'll give you a weekly rate (or monthly rate and give up the final week). I'd just book anything in advance for a day or two, then see if you can get a good weekly rate either at that place or elsewhere. I personally always recommend staying in the old town area (inside the moat) because it's scenic, quiet, walking distance to everything, and less touristy than the Night Bazar area. A personal favorite to stay is www.gordchiangmai.com , though it may be a bit expensive at around 1000 baht. (Still good value for what it is, though)

4. Is somewhere easy to find eg arriving in Chiang Mai and then walking around looking at rental boards in the street? If so, which is the best district/sector to visit.

Sois off roads such as: Moon Muang Road, Ratchadamnoen Road, Ratwithee Road, Ratchamankha Road, Loi Kroh Road and Thapae Road.

3. What about insect repellent? In the UK, they recommend sprays containing DEET. Should I buy something in the UK or buy something local in Thailand, which might be more effective?

Can buy anything you need at any 7-11, pharmacy or supermarket.

4. Do I need to start a course of anti malarial tablets whilst I am in the UK please?

LOL, no. There is no malaria in the larger Chiang Mai area. And besides, there are other diseases such as Dengue that are the bigger risk, and for which there is no prophylaxis. So avoid mosquito bites as much as posisble, also through closing, and where you hang out outside at particular (damp) places, and particular times of the day (dusk, dawn)

4. Don't bother unless you are going trekking in the jungle in which case consult your own GP for advice.

I actually disagree with this one. All a GP does is check the country information, which will say something like 'Malaria occasionally occurs in border areas along the Burmese border'. Then he takes a look at a map, and depending on the map and his own interpretation he will then make a guess as to what constitutes a border area. The result is that from one GP to the next you get *vastly* different results, to the point of making it all a bit silly. And then some GPs even manage to prescribe the wrong anti malarials, including highly toxic ones that don't work in this particular region, such as Lariam.

Erratum for my previous post:

So avoid mosquito bites as much as posisble, also through closing, and where you hang out outside at particular (damp) places, and particular times of the day (dusk, dawn)

Closing = clothing

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks SemSipEt and WinnieTheKhwai for your advice. Much appreciated and for the warning about Dengue fever. When you say cover up, do you mean socks and gloves as well?

Greetings from over the Silver Sea

I spent a month here looking the country over. Decided I had not really seen it so I came back for six months before I made my choice. I had been looking at Bali.

Three months should do you. Try to be here in Chiang Mai at the end of November. Loi Ker tong is a great celebration here. Not sure of the date 21 or 29 some where in that area. I am sure some one will fill you in on it.

Also it is very rare to get rain that late in the year. Chiang Mai has a international air port for traveling.

Temperatures will be in the 20's even at night

Don't come with a backpack or you'll get eaten alive! biggrin.png

Do you mean by the mozzies or by the ex pats who look down their noses at backpackers? ( I saw the thread you started about backpacking and some of the replies - glad your g/daughter had a good time :) )

I spent a month here looking the country over. Decided I had not really seen it so I came back for six months before I made my choice. I had been looking at Bali.

Three months should do you. Try to be here in Chiang Mai at the end of November. Loi Ker tong is a great celebration here. Not sure of the date 21 or 29 some where in that area. I am sure some one will fill you in on it.

Also it is very rare to get rain that late in the year. Chiang Mai has a international air port for traveling.

Temperatures will be in the 20's even at night

Thanks for your suggestions, hellodolly. Unfortunately, I fly back on 16th November, but I shall bear the festival in mind if, I come back another time (I'm hopeful that I shall).

Edited by Silver sea

12 days (500bht/night) cost the same as a month ....... monthly rate for decent place with air-con, Tv and fridge about 5,000bht + utils about 1,000.

Mosquito bites, I see young backpackers covered in bites ....... but they never seem to bite me.

Best way to avoid, wear long sleeves and long trousers around dusk and dawn, sleep with a fan blowing across your bed.

Thanks SemSipEt and WinnieTheKhwai for your advice. Much appreciated and for the warning about Dengue fever. When you say cover up, do you mean socks and gloves as well?

Gloves!! Heck no. Unless you routinely wear a burka. ;). Socks don't help much to be honest, Mosquitos bite straight through them. It helps to keep lower ligaments a bit elevated when mosquitos are about.

In general don't worry too much; do the best you can, but you'll get bitten sometimes regardless. I do.

12 days (500bht/night) cost the same as a month ....... monthly rate for decent place with air-con, Tv and fridge about 5,000bht + utils about 1,000.

Mosquito bites, I see young backpackers covered in bites ....... but they never seem to bite me.

Best way to avoid, wear long sleeves and long trousers around dusk and dawn, sleep with a fan blowing across your bed.

Thanks for the info, TommoPhysicist. Very helpful. Which part of town would those prices apply please?

Gloves!! Heck no. Unless you routinely wear a burka. ;). Socks don't help much to be honest, Mosquitos bite straight through them. It helps to keep lower ligaments a bit elevated when mosquitos are about.

In general don't worry too much; do the best you can, but you'll get bitten sometimes regardless. I do.

Thanks for the reassurance, WinnieTheKhwai.

I seem to recall reading recently, here in the UK, that you can buy for a few quid, a metal dragonfly which hums (or buzzes) in a dragonfly sort of way. You pin it to your clothing. Apparently, dragonflies are the mortal enemies of Mosquitos and they will buzz off if they see or hear one. Perhaps I can buy one on Thailand?

Gloves!! Heck no. Unless you routinely wear a burka. wink.png. Socks don't help much to be honest, Mosquitos bite straight through them. It helps to keep lower ligaments a bit elevated when mosquitos are about.

Thanks for the reassurance, WinnieTheKhwai.

I seem to recall reading recently, here in the UK, that you can buy for a few quid, a metal dragonfly which hums (or buzzes) in a dragonfly sort of way. You pin it to your clothing. Apparently, dragonflies are the mortal enemies of Mosquitos and they will buzz off if they see or hear one. Perhaps I can buy one on Thailand?

Well that is a new one on me. Be interesting to see if it is true r just a gimmick to sell them.

I would hang them in every window.

Thanks for the info, TommoPhysicist. Very helpful. Which part of town would those prices apply please?

Any part of town. The tricky bit is finding a place that doesn't have a minimum of 3 months or so stay. Another tricky bit is finding a place that isn't full of old sexpat alcoholics. wink.png (Ok that's partly a joke) but more seriously, in such a place you'd feel pretty on your own. I think for a first visit it's much nicer and a more social experience to be in a small hotel, hostel, bed & breakfast or guesthouse with like-minded travellers, a restaurant, a dude at a reception desk who can just tell you where that nearby cheap vegetarian place is or where to grab a bus up to Doi Suthep tempe, and (info on) anything else a traveller or newbie in town might need. In an apartment building you're more on your own.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Almost every guesthouse in CM. They nearly all have monthly rates, which work out at roughly the same price as 12 days stay. When you are planning to come CM will be almost empty. No need to book ahead.

Nuanprannee Guest house is fairly central and charges 5k a month. A Typical example of such places.

http://www.chiang-ma...anee-house.html

Very close to the main backpacker area, near to a big market and open air eating stalls at CM Gate, plenty of coffee shops, within walking distance of Sunday walking market and Wat Chedi Luang, etc.

On Google Maps

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=200173749410573970485.0004c5b6067cce5792a6f&msa=0&ll=18.782685,98.991011&spn=0.004896,0.009645

WK is right but all the hotels and guest-houses suffer the same problem.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Almost every guesthouse in CM. They nearly all have monthly rates, which work out at roughly the same price as 12 days stay. When you are planning to come CM will be almost empty. No need to book ahead.

Nuanprannee Guest house is fairly central and charges 5k a month. A Typical example of such places.

Very close to the main backpacker area, near to a big market and open air eating stalls at CM Gate, plenty of coffee shops, within walking distance of Sunday walking market and Wat Chedi Luang, etc.

Okay good, then I agree. I was thinking this was going the way of Veerachai Court or Smith Residence.

Okay good, then I agree. I was thinking this was going the way of Veerachai Court or Smith Residence.

At least they seem to be 'guest friendly'. wink.png

Hi Gang,

Again, thanks for all your suggestions about where to stay. A lot of useful information there.

If you are interested, below are articles I have been reading including the electronic buzzing dragonfly.

Click HEREfor article printed about electronic devices in 2005.

Click HERE for article on general protection when travelling. Below photo of mosquito is suggestion about electronic ladybird/dragonfly to ward off mozzies. This was published only last month so maybe technology has moved on since 2005 :)

Click HERE about natural repellants. Any thoughts?

Click HERE for test on different mozzie repellants. Jungle formula insect repellant seems the best.

Edited by Silver sea

Mosquito repellents, get some Deet.

Having said that, in the time I've been here I don't think I've ever bought a bottle. I keep my house clean, no standing water, kill any mosquitos with the tennis racket zappers.

If I go somewhere and they have a problem with mosquitoes, I ask them for spray. If they have a problem and don't supply spray, I don't go back.

Wear light clothes with long sleeves, apply some repellent to feet and neck (not your hands if you are using a DEET based repellent).

Many guest houses and hotels have mosquito nets. Shower before dusk, and avoid using strongly scented shampoo, after-shave or deodorant. You can get mozzie repellent at most 7 Elevens. I prefer Sketolene spray based on Citronella and Eucalyptus, but you need to re-apply that one more often, and it is not as effective as the ones with DEET... but DEET is carcinogenic and melts certain types of plastic (bye bye, cell phone cover :( ).

If you must use DEET (if you go trekking in border areas, that might be wise) Johnson's doesn't have such a strong scent as the others. They're roughly equivalent in terms of efficacy.

People do come down with dengue now and then, but to be honest, apart from minimizing the times you get bitten, try not to worry too much about it.