Pad Tells Thai Govt: Withdraw Bills Or We Will Rally

webfact

PAD tells govt: Withdraw bills or we'll rally

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) yesterday called on Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Parliament President Somsak Kiatsuranon to withdraw the contentious reconciliation bills to ease political tensions.

"If the bills are still on the agenda for the next Parliament session convening on August 1, the PAD will stage a rally," spokesman Panthep Puapongpan said after a meeting of the group's leaders.

The PAD echoed the opposition in condemning the reconciliation bills for trying to whitewash former prime minister and current fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra, the brother of Yingluck.

The bills could create more conflicts in the country, Panthep said.

PAD co-leader Sondhi Limthongkul said the bills must be abandoned, not just postponed.

After the press conference, Panthep headed to Parliament and Government House to hand the group's open letters to Somsak and Yingluck via their representatives.

The PAD wants to see clear action before the next session, Panthep said.

"We have to rally if there's no response from the government," he said.

Yingluck said it's up to Parliament.

"The government did not |propose any reconciliation bill |to the legislature," she said.

Deputy Agriculture Minister Natthawut Saikua, a red-shirt leader, said the PAD's demand was an old issue.

"They just want to make governing difficult."

However another red-shirt leader, Kokaew Pikulthong, said he supports the idea of delaying deliberation of the reconciliation bills from the start of the new session.

"It's not suitable in this situation," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-25

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One can count on PAD to spoil the party...........clap2.gif

I'd rather think that when PAD will start to rally, your very nice fellows reds will certainly start intimidate, counter rally, provocation, etc....

Don't you think it will be the most likely scenario? And in that case, who can be called a party spoiler?

• Like 2

So in your view it's OK for the UDD to rally but not PAD. Interesting.

Personally. I wish they would all stop and let the government and opposition do what they are paid for. Administering the country.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by thaicbr

So in your view it's OK for the UDD to rally but not PAD. Interesting.

and what's your view? the opposite?

My goodness. It is true your incapable of reading.

Just good at chopping people's posts so you can make a snide comment.

It won't be over until the PAD AND UDD go to war on the streets and terrorize Thailand ... It ain't over until the COUP happens

no, it didn't start between them until the coup happened.

The Red's came into being a fair long time after the coup.

And was allegedly financed by Thaksin (who just happens to be PM in absence)

It won't be over until the PAD AND UDD go to war on the streets and terrorize Thailand ... It ain't over until the COUP happens

the coup happened to prevent the blood-shed

i would vote that they close the airports again

that was quiet and fun

and that would end the over capacity problem for at least a month

It would be an opportunity to repair the runway at the same time

• Like 1

Sounds reasonable to me, if you have a govt trying to foist upon us a bill that isn't actually going to achieve what it sets out to do, and evidently not supported by society (in polls), then use your right to protest their action. Pity protest has been so overused, people now seem to be averse to it.

No it started before the coup..........

The PAD was formally established in February 2006 as a political movement inspired by a radio show that, after being dropped by a major radio station, gained notoriety for its anti-government tone on the internet.

The show was hosted by Sondhi Limthongkul, who became the movement’s first leader, and broadened the coalition to include some Buddhist religious figures. http://www.rfi.fr/ac...rticle_1615.asp

2 months later..........

April 5 (Bloomberg) -- Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said he will step down as premier after his declared victory in a weekend election failed to resolve a political standoff that crippled his government.

Thaksin, 56, speaking in a live television broadcast in Bangkok late yesterday, said he will stay on as interim prime minister until a new leader is chosen, after meeting with the country's King Bhumibol Adulyadej. Thaksin said he will retain his leadership of the Thai Rak Thai party and remain a member of parliament. http://www.bloomberg...=top_world_news

After 6 months a new leader wasnt found, nor were elections legally held but constitutional amendments were still ongoing..........

Thai Rak Thai party leader Thaksin Shinnawat made offers to political parties to make a social contract on Constitutional amendments after the general elections.

Prime Minister Thaksin held a meeting with other political parties at the parliament at 6PM yesterday to find ways to set up a central committee to conduct political reforms..... http://thainews.prd....id=254902280012

Its protests over Thaksin’s corruption and land reforms eventually led to a bloodless military coup on 19 September 2006. http://www.rfi.fr/ac...rticle_1615.asp

and on........

The installation of a coalition government led by the Peoples Power Party (PPP), which is loyal to ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, has created an uneasy standoff with the military and its backers, who removed Thaksin. The PPP’s plans to alter the constitution are now threatening to trigger renewed political conflict. http://www.wsws.org/.../thai-a14.shtml

and continue..........

Edited by waza

Maybe the PAD are right. Maybe the PTP should get on with governing the country for the good of all Thais not just a convicted criminal.

I hear this tiresome line of attack constantly here and by the BlueSky boys. PT are governing the country. They have made significant inroads into the drug epidemic, rife under the Dems; delivered on many of their election promises, such as min. wage, tablets, etc.; done significant work on flood prevention; undergoing feasibility studies on high speed rail; solved border tension issues and agreed on joint ventures with neighboring countries.

For those who persistently falsely accuse the government of not delivering on election promises, don't you remember that they also promised rewriting the constitution, reconciliation bills and bringing home TS.

Maybe the PAD are right. Maybe the PTP should get on with governing the country for the good of all Thais not just a convicted criminal.

I hear this tiresome line of attack constantly here and by the BlueSky boys. PT are governing the country. They have made significant inroads into the drug epidemic, rife under the Dems; delivered on many of their election promises, such as min. wage, tablets, etc.; done significant work on flood prevention; undergoing feasibility studies on high speed rail; solved border tension issues and agreed on joint ventures with neighboring countries.

For those who persistently falsely accuse the government of not delivering on election promises, don't you remember that they also promised rewriting the constitution, reconciliation bills and bringing home TS.

I hope your nic is not a description of the contents of your cranium, but what in reality have the PTP done for the Thai people apart from the imaginary items you mentioned?

• Like 1

And then you woke up.

no he turned to the other side.biggrin.png