Amusing Incident At Breakfast Buffet

daoyai

Woke early and as the rain had let up I decided for a change of scene to walk to the Raming Lodge for their advertised 140 baht breakfast buffet, Went to the desk to buy a coupon and was charged 120 baht, I thought good deal, low season promotion.

Got a cup of coffee and sat down to perk up before hitting the buffet, a few minutes later a man from the desk staff came over and said sorry, sorry mistake, I immediatly thought no promo, he needs 20 B. more, no problem. He then stated that starting today breakfast is 220 B.,

so you give me 100B more.

This was annoying so I just smiled and said no thank you. He said ok just pay for coffee, I smiled and said no, don't want, then reminded him to remove the banner in the front advertising 140 baht breakfast buffet. I was very polite as was he but it got me thinking about the sometime self defeating business practices here. He did show me a memo with the price change so I know he was not trying to scam. Amusing. He may have been held responsible by management for the mistake, to still advertise a price and accept payment, then raise the price after the fact is just ..... funny.

I agree with your sentiments here. I hate being charged more than the advertised price. But at 220 Baht for a breakfast buffet, if I was hungry, I would have just paid, since I was there.

(Guys, the OP did mention he said no to paying for the coffee....with a smile!)

Edited by BookMan

I agree with your sentiments here. I hate being charged more than the advertised price. But at 220 Baht for a breakfast buffet, if I was hungry, I would have just paid, since I was there.

He also said he already bought a coupon for 120.

Edited by wimpy

Yes he did! Might need some clarification from the Op.

I have had many similar experiences here which would be considered unprofessional back home and I think are due to miscommunication and no one taking responsibility. Just yesterday I had lunch at a place where the menu, which was in both English and Thai, had two prices (80/150 for example) denoting small/large portion size. I was dining alone and was served a smallish size plate of food. The bill came and it was the more expensive price and when I enquired they said because the lower price was just somtum and rice and the larger included curry. I explained I ordered curry (it was described as sumtum, rice and curry with no slash or indication that it cost more with curry etc.). No way to know esp. since they charged me an extra 80 bht for a very small side of rice and somtum. Of course they just said "I'm sorry sir". Find often that menus are wrong for whatever reason but what I find is that once it's pointed out or a problem occurs they just leave it that way and I imagine that most of the time the wait staff does not tell anyone anyways. But one thing I won't accept when they charge me more than the printed price and they say the price went up.

Edited by junglechef

Slightly off topic, but in the same vein I went to Robinson's on Monday looking for some presents for a friend of mine's kids.

Saw some Thomas The Tank Engine stuff that was reduced to half price, (its normally expensive stuff). I took it to the till where I was informed that the promotion finished 12 hours ago and that I would have to pay the full price which was on a ticket underneath the promotion price. Although I argued the toss with them they were not budging.

I was very annoyed about this, in the UK you pay the lowest price on the box whenever the promotion finishes, because it's their job to replace the out-of-date prices.

I did not buy it, but in a sulk unfortunately had to buy another product as I had to buy something.

220 for breakfast? Day light robbery.

Thai breakfast with free drinking common (from a common pail) is only 20 Baht. 25 Baht max.

Two choices here as I see it if it is confirmed you finished up paying for the coffe..

1) Pay and hopefully get most of your 120 baht returned then walk out.

2) How much after deducting this would your breakfast now cost you.

Me I,d pay difference and put it down to experience because if you go elsewhere it could cost you even more when taking the above into account.

Always do a recki at various places if there is more than one prior to having breakfast and double check what the price at that time is, along with seeing what you get for your baht.

BEFORE getting comfortable.

IMHO as always

marshbags wink.png

How was the coffee?

It was the usual hotel bfast buffet coffee but a bit weaker than I remember at Raming, I didn't drink much of it before leaving and politely refused to pay for the coffee, the staff did not push the issue, if they had, I would have paid for the coffee to avoid confrontation and escalation. I have been there before many times, last year at this time they lowered the price for low season, this year, they raised the price, not a good strategy I think.

I have had many similar experiences here which would be considered unprofessional back home and I think are due to miscommunication and no one taking responsibility. Just yesterday I had lunch at a place where the menu, which was in both English and Thai, had two prices (80/150 for example) denoting small/large portion size. I was dining alone and was served a smallish size plate of food. The bill came and it was the more expensive price and when I enquired they said because the lower price was just somtum and rice and the larger included curry. I explained I ordered curry (it was described as sumtum, rice and curry with no slash or indication that it cost more with curry etc.). No way to know esp. since they charged me an extra 80 bht for a very small side of rice and somtum. Of course they just said "I'm sorry sir". Find often that menus are wrong for whatever reason but what I find is that once it's pointed out or a problem occurs they just leave it that way and I imagine that most of the time the wait staff does not tell anyone anyways. But one thing I won't accept when they charge me more than the printed price and they say the price went up.

What do you think is appropriate in this circumstance? Does it go under it's not fair and "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" as they are responsible to make it clear esp. in a fancier place like this and probably know anyways it's wrong or it's just the way things are here or ...... What and why do you say?

Thai breakfast with free drinking common (from a common pail) is only 20 Baht. 25 Baht max.

yes, on the walk home I picked up some moo ping, nam prik noom and fuk tong from a cheerful street vendor, 35 baht total, good coffee at home.

re ..

Woke early and as the rain had let up I decided for a change of scene to walk to the Raming Lodge for their advertised 140 baht breakfast buffet,

daoyai was right ... i wonder if a new sign will be out tomorrow ?

dave2

post-42592-0-79016300-1343183835_thumb.j

Well it does happen in the other direction too. Last week bought a few things at S&P Bakery-Rimping. Added up in my head it came to exactly 100 BT. Went to pay and she said 80Bt. ermm.gif

Pointed out to her, no it was 100, although 4-5pm is my worst time of day for any kind of maths I was still sure I was right !

Then she told me 20% discount on a Wednesday. No signs that I saw.

As I went out she reminded me again - remember Wednesday we have 20% discount!

yes, on the walk home I picked up some moo ping, nam prik noom and fuk tong from a cheerful street vendor, 35 baht total, good coffee at home.

Cheaper of course, and an option I would take, but not really a like for like comparison. Street vendor vs sit down buffet.

Cheaper of course, and an option I would take, but not really a like for like comparison. Street vendor vs sit down buffet.

Well, sit down, get up, sit down get up, sit down get up sort of breakfast. wink.png

140 bath indeed, sad sad.

re ..

Woke early and as the rain had let up I decided for a change of scene to walk to the Raming Lodge for their advertised 140 baht breakfast buffet,

daoyai was right ... i wonder if a new sign will be out tomorrow ?

dave2

Kudos to the OP for keeping his cool, smiling through it, and finding an amicable conclusion, all while standing his ground. These are essential skills for living happily in Thailand, where you can drive yourself mad by reacting to every little instance of ineptitude. (It's just as healthful, but more difficult, to find the same composure in the face of dishonesty, as opposed to mere incompetence.)

• Like 1

Well you certainly are entitled to your opinion. I know where you can get one for free. That does not make it good.

Besides it was not a Thai buffet. I have eaten there a long time ago and it had bacon.

But I see where you are new here and probably are still learning the difference between a Thai breakfast ad a Western breakfast.

As well as the difference between a Buffet and a breakfast.

Stick around and you will get the hang of it.

If you stay around long enough you will find this and ther cmmon things are not that uncommon here in Thailand.

I went into Sunni's one day and order ed a cheap bowel of soup. There was two prices on the menu. When I got my soup I thought they had made a mistake and brought me the big one. Maybe they did but the price was for the small one. Moral of the story do not be shocked and outraged or as in the one case I sighted surprised at the non western way's you find here in Thailand.

Edited by hellodolly

I was at CM airport last week to meet someone went into Black Canyon and for the first time in many years ordered a coffee as, unlike my regular coffee shop where I have great cocoa for 25baht, these chain places usually serve insipid cocoa at more than double.

So I just thought what the hell they must surely make very good coffee.

I believe it was 60 baht for the basic coffee, and I ordered.

"with milk?" she asked

"yes" I replied.

Two minutes later I got a cup of coffee which smelt (and tasted) good, and had milk it. It looked very normal.

"70 baht" she said

"errr it says 60 baht just there above your head"

"But you are having milk in it!"

Is it just me? Is Black Canyon ripping people off?

Should I have asked for a refund for the coffee that was missing from the cup to make way for the milk!!??

Edited by cheeryble

I was at CM airport last week to meet someone went into Black Canyon and for the first time in many years ordered a coffee as, unlike my regular coffee shop where I have great cocoa for 25baht, these chain places usually serve insipid cocoa at more than double.

So I just thought what the hell they must surely make very good coffee.

I believe it was 60 baht for the basic coffee, and I ordered.

"with milk?" she asked

"yes" I replied.

Two minutes later I got a cup of coffee which smelt (and tasted) good, and had milk it. It looked very normal.

"70 baht" she said

"errr it says 60 baht just there above your head"

"But you are having milk in it!"

Is it just me? Is Black Canyon ripping people off?

Should I have asked for a refund for the coffee that was missing from the cup to make way for the milk!!??

If I am out walking and I see a Black Canyon. I will skip it unless I am really thirsty and can not see a 7 11. I will go in and buy water. Some times I admit I do it for a rest. As for the rest of their products I have had nothing in the way of good experiences.