Starbucks Thailand Tells Teachers "Order More Coffee Or Get Lost"

george

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that a lot of people like the atmosphere, if not the coffee.

There is no doubt that SB is not cheap, but I enjoy having a coffee and some of their desserts are nice and not easily obtained at other locations. It can be quite relaxing to sit with my coffee, cheesecake and read the paper.

Tutors and students are a problem at a lot of locations. I've been unable to get seating in McDonald's because of the same problem.

Good move.

Good move.

I've witnessed this too. The group is usually 5 or 6 young adults and one teacher getting hands on English. I can see how this can get out of hand with copy cat teachers. In the US Starbucks manages 2 hour, 1 coffee customers by keeping the room temperature at a chilling level; you have to keep drinking coffee to stay warm.

Government should plat a role in this situation by setting up more public library , I am very frustrated when trying to get a seat at Starbuck around town when seeing lots of students or with their tutor taking up the space for hours

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif As Daffy Duck would have said, "What a maroon!"

Its a valid comment, regardless of what the outlet sells, if you are going to spend time on the premises then you should purchase an appropriate amount of their goods or services... Common sense really

Thais tend to do it another way as I've experienced in various upmarket hotels for Sunday brunch. They attack the buffet like a plague of locusts, take all the lobster, caviar and other expensive items (Even if they don't like the taste) and then disperse as quickly as they arrived.

Don't like the taste? I am so sure that you polled them! You are just pissed off that you are not fast enough on your feet to see the good stuff and get there first.tongue.png Edited by techboy

How can this be enforced? Are they going to call the police? If there is no official allocated time for drinking your coffee i really don't see how anyone could be evicted.

The last two are:

1) Send in Chairman (at one time, anyway) Howard Schultz to give a really obnoxious company prospectus.

2) Entice them out with comely customers that promptly leave with their purchases.

Use your imaginations for 1 thru 7 ...

post-120659-0-61522300-1343209428_thumb.

post-120659-0-97356800-1343209457_thumb.

post-120659-0-78986300-1343209489_thumb.

post-120659-0-23650600-1343209521_thumb.

post-120659-0-85903000-1343209559_thumb.

post-120659-0-93365600-1343209588_thumb.

post-120659-0-84162000-1343209616_thumb.

post-120659-0-84554000-1343209660_thumb.

post-120659-0-89551800-1343209698_thumb.

Government should plat a role in this situation by setting up more public library , I am very frustrated when trying to get a seat at Starbuck around town when seeing lots of students or with their tutor taking up the space for hours

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif As Daffy Duck would have said, "What a maroon!"

You are quoting the eloquent Bugs Bunny..... Doc!

I prefer Black Canyon myself, and I live in Seattle. I have no problem with this policy, they are thier to make money and they have a right to run thier business as they see fit. Maybe this will lead to a new business oppertunity for someone else, like a wifi shop that rents space. Like that'd work:)

You can put the money down on that one first!!!!!!!!!!!! Edited by techboy

I've never cared much for Starbucks...too over priced and they pay their

product source growers a pittance compared to what they resell it for.

Kinda like Nestle' Starbucks is to me. Like Nestle'...how long do we have

to wait until Starbucks sues a nation and wins?

That's a shame in my logic...dam_n shame. But I guess it's ok to tell

freeloaders to take a hike if they're at a Starbucks too long without

buying anything. Personally I hope Starbucks goes broke.

Here's what the bullet points on the notice say:

- Please order food or beverages for each individual occupying our premises, and do not consume outside food or beverages

- Please do not sit at separate tables, or conduct classes with large groups, in order to leave space for our other customers

- Do not use our premises as a regular teaching location, since space is limited and we have other customers to serve

- Please cooperate in not "reserving" tables by placing items on them, or simply sitting and waiting for your tutor to arrive. We will collect any items left in this manner in order to provide space for other customers, and we will take no responsibility for these items.

And here are the first five comments from the Pantip.com webboard where it was originally posted:

#1: Serves them right. I see five people sitting there with one cup. Do you think this is appropriate behavior?

#2: I'm ashamed for them. For the people who've done this and think nobody cares, read it and weep.

#3: Every single location has tutors using it as their classroom.

#4: This is great, it'll make it easier to find a seat. To all the private tutors out there: Teach your students in your own home!

#5: They should've done this ages ago.

Seems like it's a popular move with Thai and farang alike.

• Like 2

Wow, the mention of Starbucks really fires up the posting numbers!

Starbucks is one of those whipping-posts that are "in vogue" to shown disdain for. Those people with no life or notable accomplishments, wishing to appear higher and mightier, will come out of the wood-work and bash away in an attempt to look morally/intellectually superior. Starbucks is a business offering a product/service, you either like or you don't....no buddy gives a dam_n about your egocentric ideas. If Starbucks makes enough people happy with their service and product enough of the time they will stay in business; simple as that. By looking at the company's business accomplishments from their humble beginnings to now, I would say they are doing something right.

There are enough other java joints within a stones-throw, and no doubt located on morally higher ground. for the haters to assemble and sip their brew while conversing about the evils of Starbucks and its customer base.

• Like 1

No problem with this one way or another. If I see a bunch of folks just bumming around at a table without drinks or just empties, I politely ask them if they are done. Most of the time they get up and go. When they offer me some lame excuse, I ask to sit and join them and promptly sit thanking them profusely. Then I engage them in annoying conversation and leave it hanging awkwardly... they leave, and if they don't I'm usually done before it gets really bothersome. Of course, I thank them when I go. :)

• Like 2

Well, at those extremely overpriced rubbish products no wonder. I suggest to start serving real coffee at normal prices; do away with Wifi (as the real VIPs have an unlimited 3G account anyhow) and feature only tables of two. But then why bother, there is Amazon, CoffeeWorld and a million other alternatives!

! I did not realise that sitting for a few hours and nursing a cup of coffee was a hanging offence. Give these people a break. So that spend a few hours learning at SBs. Good. If you want to complain about something find something worth complaining about.

Just exactly the self-centered bum this thread is really about... "Occupy Starbucks" Forget the paying customers this business was intended to serve, forget all the others who'd like to sit down just long enough to enjoy their coffee, we'll buy our one drink (and maybe just share it), monopolize an entire area and stay for as many hours as we g-d please! Starbucks Thailand has this one right.

• Like 1

Can't say I blame them at all! Starbucks and other such establishments are for paying customers. Buying one cup of coffee and lounging there all day doesn't wash. It should be done on a case by case basis and they need to watch out for squatters. Paying customers want the seats and Starbucks are notorious for people using the place to take up residence. I noticed a lot of that in Phuket last month when I was there. These Japanese spent just about the entire day there!

! I did not realise that sitting for a few hours and nursing a cup of coffee was a hanging offence. Give these people a break. So that spend a few hours learning at SBs. Good. If you want to complain about something find something worth complaining about.

Agreed. Maybe Starbucks should make their coffees more affordable to the average Thai.

Public places are not just for hi-so Thais and foreigners. And they wonder why there is class strife in Thailandblink.png

Myself and many others have studied and tutored at Barnes and Nobles, Borders etc. in the US, have never heard any of them complain (although one of them is now defunct). I suppose they would rather have people sipping coffee and reading rather than having an empty store. I think it's called thinking long term with regard to customer service/satisfaction.

Since when is a Starbucks classifies as a Public place? Does Starbucks know that? Maybe then they can stay there without paying rent.

Starsucks coffee... Wont be seen dead there either. At Black Canyon they serve a very decent Black Canyon hot at a very fair price...

Never mind the coffee. A more important question is, how long can you hang around before they throw you out?

Starsucks coffee... Wont be seen dead there either. At Black Canyon they serve a very decent Black Canyon hot at a very fair price...

No, that's overpriced too.

There are many places in CM that sell fresh coffee, often locally grown, for between 30bht and 40bht a cup, with seating and free wifi.

I would rather drink p155, http://www.snopes.co...s/starbucks.asp Not the first story I have read of this nature, one big cheer from me when they go bustclap2.gif

You want the company to go bust because you read that they did not apologize for something that an idiot employee did? Your information link is a highly disputed urban legend gossip column. Possibly confirmed by other internet columns of the same caliber? I would not count on Starbucks going bust any time soon!wink.png

post-36530-0-91840200-1343212486_thumb.j

Edited by techboy

Never mind the coffee. A more important question is, how long can you hang around before they throw you out?

They have a new marketing policy on which they will offer a slight discount " buy a lousy coffee and throw yourself out!" it might just catch on

What needs to be remembered is that this is a place of business, not a study hall. No business can make a profit when people occupy all the space all day without supporting the business, which leads to other customers walking away. It was the same in Singapore.