Starbucks Thailand Tells Teachers "Order More Coffee Or Get Lost"

george

Nonsense. The closing of some outlets had little to do with the taste of the coffee.

Met Cafe owner Brendan Smart said Starbucks had expanded too quickly in Australia.

"A few years ago there weren't that many of them and they seemed to be going OK, but then all of a sudden, they were everywhere," he told AFP.

"Some city blocks had three Starbucks on them -- it's crazy."

take your point, but why would a senior exec make a statement that you claim to be incorrect. Starbucks is a listed company and any public comment by a Starbucks executive would be subject to SEC investigation if proven to be misleading. Here is the article & you just may change your opinion

http://www.smh.com.au/business/starbucks-closes-61-shops-cuts-700-jobs-20080729-3mt1.html

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nonsense. The closing of some outlets had little to do with the taste of the coffee.

Met Cafe owner Brendan Smart said Starbucks had expanded too quickly in Australia.

"A few years ago there weren't that many of them and they seemed to be going OK, but then all of a sudden, they were everywhere," he told AFP.

take your point, but why would a senior exec make a statement that you claim to be incorrect. Starbucks is a listed company and any public comment by a Starbucks executive would be subject to SEC investigation if proven to be misleading. Here is the article & you just may change your opinion

http://www.smh.com.a...80729-3mt1.html

He did not say that Starbucks coffee "does not taste good" which is what I was responding to. I would guess that he meant that there are a lot of competitors selling coffee that is just as good for a cheaper price.

Here is something you will never see in Starbucks. The 15 yr old kids serving can't even avoid the coffee running down the side of the cups.

There is some phenomenal coffee art there

Looks like kitsch too me.

"The evolution of culture marches with the elimination of ornament from useful objects" Adolf Loos.

Here is something you will never see in Starbucks. The 15 yr old kids serving can't even avoid the coffee running down the side of the cups.

There is some phenomenal coffee art there

Looks like kitsch too me.

"The evolution of culture marches with the elimination of ornament from useful objects" Adolf Loos.

A minimalist approach doesn't necessarily an improvement to culture

http://www.smh.com.a...80729-3mt1.html

He did not say that Starbucks coffee "does not taste good" which is what I was responding to. I would guess that he meant that there are a lot of competitors selling coffee that is just as good for a cheaper price.

OK there other international coffee shop chains in Australia with retail outlets such as Gloria Jean whose coffee is not cheap & are doing well in Oz . We have a differing on meaning on the Starbucks exec wordingsmile.png

Edited by simple1

STARBUCKS....GOOD FOR YOU!!! I am glad that you are standing up for business instead of TEACHERS and STUDENTS taking advantage of all coffee and fast food establishments turning them into Thai classrooms. Also, has anyone been to McDonalds lately especially the one of the corner of Silom across from Dusit Thani? I took my son for a burger meal last Sunday at noon and there were only 3 tables open. There were 4 customer tables without books and papers in front of them that were actually having lunch! It bothered me so much I actually counted! Nothing but STUDENTS STUDENTS STUDENTS....I guess McDonalds doesnt have the guts to demand real customers.... How about telling these STUDENTS (along with their teachers...) to purchase meals instead of the medium coke and occasional french fry or just move along? I figure the owners in Bangkok just dont care about the customer or profits anymore....welcome to the Thai way of running a business! STARBUCKS.....Way to go!!!!

• Like 1

Yesterday, for one day only, I really loved Starbucks. Thanks to their less than stellar quarterly performance, the stock tanked big time and I was able to pick up a nice profit on the bounce. I can hardly wait for the market to open on Monday to see if I can suck a little more out of them. biggrin.png Managed to do the same with Facebook. Makes me hate them both just a little less. biggrin.png

David

They probably had too many chalkies and their students taking up the chairs, and customers that wanted to buy a coffee couldn't sit down.......so didn't and venue was lost.

Good - and can they also tell those kids who buy a drink and sit on a 4 person table by themselves for 6 hours to 'get lost' too (although, personally, I'd say it more strongly than that!)

Just sit at the table with them and say hello.

(Not that I would ever be caught dead in Starbucks)

I second your last paragraph.

They should state what they think is a reasonable time for a customer to finish their coffee and get off the premises.

I thought the whole point of getting a starbucks was to lounge around for a while to try and at least some value out of the absurdly expensive and average tasting coffee you have just bought.

• Like 1

They should state what they think is a reasonable time for a customer to finish their coffee and get off the premises.

I thought the whole point of getting a starbucks was to lounge around for a while to try and at least some value out of the absurdly expensive and average tasting coffee you have just bought.

They see it like this supposedly: attract you with a nice lounge area, give you the shitty and expensive coffee, and then make you feel guilty for actually using the lounge area.

I actually don't even care either way, the only point i'd really make here is boo-<deleted>-hoo to starbucks, i mean cry me a river. It is about as easy to feel bad for them as a big oil executive who has to get a barnacle taken off the side of his yacht.

. . . cry me a river. It is about as easy to feel bad for them as a big oil executive who has to get a barnacle taken off the side of his yacht.

You've consciously missed the point just to make a trollish cheap shot because you personally don't like Startucks or at least pretend you don't.

Nobody anywhere implied that anyone, including your highly important self, should feel bad for Starbucks. The OP merely stated the new policy. The new policy, as countless posters here have observed, benefits the real customers of Starbucks--those who like Starbucks well enough to want to buy their coffee--or other drinks, such as tea or fresh orange juice (which our anti-SBs always ignore)--but can't because there's no space to sit down owing to the freeloaders. If Starbucks goes out of business because of them, those paying customers will then be underserved and the employees who used to work at Starbucks, most of whom are hardly wealthy, will be out of jobs.

Well put, and i'm happy that all you non-freeloading, real customers have a place to sit now. I really and truly am. I guess my remarks should have been directed at you then. As Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs so eloquently put it, rubbing his two fingers together.... "this is the world's smallest violin playing just for the real customers who can't get a seat at starbucks."

Boo-<deleted>-hoo, cry me a river bro.

Edited by meand

Dear Barnacle Bill,

Drink more coffee.... at the venue of your own choice.

Freeloader-free venues, where it is actually possible to sit with family and/or friends for as long as it takes to have a coffee and cinnamon roll are my personal choice. :)

. . . cry me a river. It is about as easy to feel bad for them as a big oil executive who has to get a barnacle taken off the side of his yacht.

You've consciously missed the point just to make a trollish cheap shot because you personally don't like Startucks or at least pretend you don't.

Nobody anywhere implied that anyone, including your highly important self, should feel bad for Starbucks. The OP merely stated the new policy. The new policy, as countless posters here have observed, benefits the real customers of Starbucks--those who like Starbucks well enough to want to buy their coffee--or other drinks, such as tea or fresh orange juice (which our anti-SBs always ignore)--but can't because there's no space to sit down owing to the freeloaders. If Starbucks goes out of business because of them, those paying customers will then be underserved and the employees who used to work at Starbucks, most of whom are hardly wealthy, will be out of jobs.

Well put, and i'm happy that all you non-freeloading, real customers have a place to sit now. I really and truly am. I guess my remarks should have been directed at you then. As Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs so eloquently put it, rubbing his two fingers together.... "this is the world's smallest violin playing just for the real customers who can't get a seat at starbucks."

Boo-<deleted>-hoo, cry me a river bro.

I would hate to see it when you take a side....... Seeing as "you don't care either way!"
  • Like 1

Foz,

Well, I was called "highly self important" by a guy that wants the room to clear itself when he arrives with his cup of coffee. That is the synthesis of this thread, am I wrong?

Anyway, I responded to a post I agreed with, namely that starbucks needs to put a time limit per item bought on how long you can use the lounge. You know why they wont do that? Because it is tacky. You know why it is tacky? Because to "give" customers and area, and then make them feel uncomfortable for using it is not in keeping with good customer relations. So, take a stand, it needs to be done as the poster pointed out.

But you are definitely right, I don't care either way. There are actual problems in life, not getting a seat at starbucks is not one of them (that violin is playing for you this time).

Edited by meand

A particularly nasty post about teachers has been deleted as well as replies to it.

I remember once seeing a McDonald's that had a 20 minute time limit on seating. I don't remember where, but it must have been some very high traffic area--either that a ghetto area where people tended to loiter.

The ability to see and respond to the needs of others, and modify our behaviors to enable society to function, is a sign of social responsibility and maturity. If the focus is entirely on my needs, my rights, without acknowedging the rights and needs of others, social cohesion breaks down. Then people become aggressive about asserting their needs, their rights, it becomes law of the jungle and can turn very nasty. Consideration for others, treating others as you would wish them to treat you, is not such a bad guideline. :)

• Like 1

No more good service and shit coffee.That's the reason that the stock went down more then 10% last Friday.

This seems to be a battle of 2 teams, the lovers of Starbucks coffee and the Discerning coffee lovers. Two very distinct classes.

No more good service and shit coffee.That's the reason that the stock went down more then 10% last Friday.

This seems to be a battle of 2 teams, the lovers of Starbucks coffee and the Discerning coffee lovers. Two very distinct classes.

It seems to have become that, but the topic is actually about the misuse of SBX, and by extension, other venues as a classroom, denying access to facilities reasonably expected of paying customers, isn't it? If you don't like the product, go elsewhere... law of supply and demand. If enough people stay away, the business adapts or fails. That part looks simple enough. A poll on the product provided at Starbucks is perhaps a different thread. smile.png

Not really, some of us have no love for Starbucks, but get bored of pretentious posters claiming that decent coffee is something less.

Edited by Ulysses G.

OMG Who cares! Now i can enjoy my coffee on Sundays.

Agreed, taste is in the taste buds of the be-taster... rolleyes.gif if you don't like the policy or the coffee, find a better long-term free hangout with better coffee (or no coffee at all, as is your preference) smile.png

The fact is that they buy the top 3% of all the coffee beans in the world. Maybe the screw up the roast or you don't like the names for their sizes but to say they have shit coffee is to say you don't really know what good coffee is.

Exactly. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I'm neither for or against Starbucks. I grind my own beans and press the coffee out at home. If I'm in the need of some espresso shots and Starbucks is there then I'm not against buying some from them.

The fact is that they buy the top 3% of all the coffee beans in the world. Maybe the screw up the roast or you don't like the names for their sizes but to say they have shit coffee is to say you don't really know what good coffee is. They get the best beans. They do because they can and that's what they want. They are huge and demand the best and they get it.

Same as Wal-Mart gets the best Chinese made goods. Folks can complain all day and night how they are the destruction of the world but the fact remains you will never find better made Chinese goods for cheaper than what Wal-Mart has.

Haters are just haters.

No one makes you like them. No one force you to spend money there. You have free choice. But all this hating on a thread about Starbucks policy is getting rather boring. Don't like them, don't go there. That will certainly free up more seats for paying customers. The fact remains that they are everywhere and have a huge market share cause more folks like them than don't. Deal with it.

The worst European goods is by far better than the best Chinese goods obtained by Wal-Mart, IKEA, Harrods, Galeries Lafayette, etc

Edited by SuneeTH

Why don't they just charge extra for a seat? Standing room free. The assistant can just simply ask "would you like a seat with your coffee sir" That will be 100 baht per hour, the students and teachers will quickly move on to the likes of KFC or Macca's.