Tot Chiang Rai, Where To Go?

canuckamuck

If you are on the super-highway heading north to Mae Sai you should turn left at the King Mengrai statue traffic lights and it is about 150mtrs on your left side. Directly opposite is the tastiest duck/roast pork restaurant, next to Bliss Photography Studio.

The MAIN TOT office is on the road to Sintani 2 and 3.. Pass Big C on the left then turn left at the large traffic light controlled junction and its a few Kilometers along on the left.. You did not say what you wanted to do but this is their main office .. Its where I went to got a phone line put in..You may be able to do or get what you want at the Meng Rai office too..

• Like 1

I would be inclined to agree with BlueSmurf. He seems to know what he is talking about.

The Tha Sai office he mentioned, is located on the 1020 heading out of town toward Thoeng and before getting to the Santiburi or Phayamengrai turnoff, and is generally known to be the main office for TOT in Chiang Rai. Personally we have been told that our area is covered by the Thoeng office and to go there first if we have questions. Not knowing where you live one can’t say which branch office covers your area. Not sure you are going to get different answers at different offices but you are welcome to try.

As for the cable being thirty meters away, I doubt that has much relevance as one can’t just cut into a fiber optic cable anywhere one chooses and splice in a new line. I’m not sure what the usual runaround means but sometimes when they say they can’t do something, it simply means they can’t do it. It isn’t personal.

Edited by villagefarang

I live near to Wawee, the line was put in about 4 months ago.

The runaround we are getting is nobody seems to know who to talk to. We want to know if it is possible to get land line service They must have put the line in for a reason, they ran it through every town on our road for 50 km's.

Perhaps they are planning 3G. We also live fairly close to a cell tower. Anyhow, my current hookup is 2G and it is not much of an improvement from smoke signals.

I live near to Wawee, the line was put in about 4 months ago.

The runaround we are getting is nobody seems to know who to talk to. We want to know if it is possible to get land line service They must have put the line in for a reason, they ran it through every town on our road for 50 km's.

Perhaps they are planning 3G. We also live fairly close to a cell tower. Anyhow, my current hookup is 2G and it is not much of an improvement from smoke signals.

If they have actually completed the installation of the line then I would expect them to have meetings to establish which villages have enough interested households to justify hooking them up to a local junction box. That is what they did in our area. If your local village headman doesn’t know anything then perhaps you could find out more at the main office of TOT. Good luck and hopefully it is just a matter of time.

TOT are not all bad. Like most service companies here, you just have to have somebody dealing with them In Thai that understands exactly what you want and can relay to you the reasons why you can't have it so you can counter those reasons or make/ask for alternative suggestions.

i don't live as far out as the OP, but I managed to get a fiber optic line (paid about 4,500 installation) and had it before phone lines came to my area......and service has been fine.

I think TOT suck generally too regards customer service. they are a Government organisation and I suspect some of the staff don't exactly see a need to excel .

This Fibre optic line. I guess there's some sort of Junction Box. does it have a number ? could be useful to give the TOT people so they know where you are because addresses can be next to useless here.

I believe there's also some sort of wireless service they can provide if there's enough interest where they install a small transmitter/receiver in the Village but its unlikely if your the only one wanting it. anyway, good Luck and I'd try several offices and talk to several different people. If you smell or see Nail varnish being applied whilst your there, then forget it for atleast 10 years.

And maybe the office near the statue is the 'Main Customer Service Centre' rather than the 'Main Office' if you know what I mean. anyway, good luck again.

Edited by jubby

The fiber optic line doesn't have a number.

I don't know what happens down the line, or indeed where it comes from or goes to, but what I see is a flat stiff cable from the telegraph pole. You also need a special fiber optic modem you can only get from TOT (apparently).

I generally get between 15 mbps and 20 mbps download and around 3mpbs upload which I think is very good wherever you are but fantastic for Thailand..... especially as it is just over 2k baht a month.

I think TOT suck generally too regards customer service. they are a Government organisation and I suspect some of the staff don't exactly see a need to excel .

This Fibre optic line. I guess there's some sort of Junction Box. does it have a number ? could be useful to give the TOT people so they know where you are because addresses can be next to useless here.

I believe there's also some sort of wireless service they can provide if there's enough interest where they install a small transmitter/receiver in the Village but its unlikely if your the only one wanting it. anyway, good Luck and I'd try several offices and talk to several different people. If you smell or see Nail varnish being applied whilst your there, then forget it for atleast 10 years.

And maybe the office near the statue is the 'Main Customer Service Centre' rather than the 'Main Office' if you know what I mean. anyway, good luck again.

Not a truer word spoken. It took me 3 weeks to get my TOT up and running here on Koh Chang. Each time we went to the office the young girl running the show is always onlineor texting,putting on nail polish or makeup and she wears slippers. When we walk in you can see it in her face--"oh I have to do some work" and we have never seen a smile on her face even though we dont abuse her or anything.(Not for the start anyway). Really slack service but the only one in the area I live.