Forum upgrade in progress! ×

New Number 1 Bar

smokie36

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I read -some of the waitresses are coming from the old Nr I ???

Yes. Because they are experienced, have good English, know which weird kind of Belgian beer goes in which weird glass, and are reliable. Imagine getting the whole show on the road with completely new staff, and a barrel of clueless Chang and Heineken beer girls and students seeing Farang for the first time. You know it makes sense.

As for:

Not exactly Miss Worlds at the old one are they!!!

and:

girls from number 1 are 'available'

Not when they're working their socks off to serve people beers and food with a smile. Overall they're about as available as waitresses anywhere; some a bit more, some a bit less. No different from just about any pub.

But again, I'm expecting a new and different type of staff to appear, especially when the Thai market needs to be catered to. But the basics of a pub just need to be solid, and nobody better for that than the old battle-axes. wink.png (and I say that with the utmost respect)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

And I read -some of the waitresses are coming from the old Nr I ???

Yes. Because they are experienced, have good English, know which weird kind of Belgian beer goes in which weird glass, and are reliable. Imagine getting the whole show on the road with completely new staff, and a barrel of clueless Chang and Heineken beer girls and students seeing Farang for the first time. You know it makes sense.

As for:

and:

girls from number 1 are 'available'

Not when they're working their socks off to serve people beers and food with a smile. Overall they're about as available as waitresses anywhere; some a bit more, some a bit less. No different from just about any pub.

But again, I'm expecting a new and different type of staff to appear, especially when the Thai market needs to be catered to. But the basics of a pub just need to be solid, and nobody better for that than the old battle-axes. wink.png (and I say that with the utmost respect)

ohhh the girls I bar-fined from there were a dream? hmm ok so I guess you must be under the impression farang could not barfine girs from number one? with respect if you thought that you are WRONG (sorry)

It's not a topic that we can freely discuss on Thaivisa. I can say that you can't grab absolutely any girl from the original place. Some are available clearly, as I stated, but those aren't the ones needed to actually run the restaurant and bar.

Anyway, the new place doesn't seem to cater to that particular market. Depending on where you're coming from that may be a good or a bad thing. For me personally it's more than respectable enough to bring my wife and kids.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Why is it called a bar and not a restaurant?

If I told my wife and family I was taking them to a bar, I doubt if they would go because a bar to them means an adult pick up joint and a restaurant is where customers go to eat.

So what actually is this place, is it a drinking and poo ying establishment or a restaurant?

If it`s bar than I will go and check this out myself or if a restaurant I will take the family.

If I told my wife and family I was taking them to a bar, I doubt if they would go because a bar to them means an adult pick up joint and a restaurant is where customers go to eat.

Agreed. And in line with that it's indeed not called a bar. It's Restaurant / Beergarden. (Did you visit the site?)

post-64232-0-60790200-1343349623.png

So what actually is this place, is it a drinking and poo ying establishment or a restaurant?

If it`s bar than I will go and check this out myself or if a restaurant I will take the family.

It seems a bit of a hybrid form, not because of the women (again, you'd be disappointed at this point in time, also because they employ as many male waiters as they do waitresses) but because it has (new, American) pool tables. Those you wouldn't find in most restaurants. (Though Warm-Up for example has them) Yet they also have garden seating with big umbrellas, which is more in line with a restaurant.

As a final point, you always like to state that naughty nightlife is coming to an end in Chiang Mai, and this change/upgrade in format would fit that theory well.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Agreed. And in line with that it's indeed not called a bar. It's Restaurant / Beergarden. (Did you visit the site?)

post-64232-0-60790200-1343349623.png

It seems a bit of a hybrid form, not because of the women (again, you'd be disappointed at this point in time, also because they employ as many male waiters as they do waitresses) but because it has (new, American) pool tables. Those you wouldn't find in most restaurants. (Though Warm-Up for example has them) Yet they also have garden seating with big umbrellas, which is more in line with a restaurant.

As a final point, you always like to state that naughty nightlife is coming to an end in Chiang Mai, and this change/upgrade in format would fit that theory well.

forgive me for saying but you do seem to be VERY pro and defensive. it might have made more sense for them to have left the 'beer' bit out completely thus 'breaking' the 'connection' with the bar which, it is very clear, does have working girls that do not just serve beer whistling.gif (nothing wrong with that) but I can't see them every severing the link completely.

• Like 1

Well I never take the missis to Loi Kroh road, but after the first visit to the new Number 1, I would be more than happy to take her (and will take her.)

The staff I saw waitressing were two staff that I knew and one new "guy" that I did not, and two cashiers, (one male and one female) that I knew.

It seems that they are not trying to make girls available as there were only two serving and they could not afford to loose them anyway.

The customers I saw (of which I didn't recognise anyone from the old places) were a big table of Thai's three or four Thai / western couples, a few with young children, also a young western couple.

The place is definately a world away from the one in Loi Kroh and if you ask me is definately aimed at a different market.

In summary, certainly a place I would say that couples / families would feel very comfortable to go to.

• Like 2

Well I never take the missis to Loi Kroh road, but after the first visit to the new Number 1, I would be more than happy to take her (and will take her.)

The staff I saw waitressing were two staff that I knew and one new "guy" that I did not, and two cashiers, (one male and one female) that I knew.

It seems that they are not trying to make girls available as there were only two serving and they could not afford to loose them anyway.

The customers I saw (of which I didn't recognise anyone from the old places) were a big table of Thai's three or four Thai / western couples, a few with young children, also a young western couple.

The place is definately a world away from the one in Loi Kroh and if you ask me is definately aimed at a different market.

In summary, certainly a place I would say that couples / families would feel very comfortable to go to.

Well I dunno, you seem very pro and defensive. :P

Not all pubs run bar fines ...... and there is the difference.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Well I dunno, you seem very pro and defensive. tongue.png

Defensive ? no. Pro ? sure. Credit where credit is due, it is a lot better than I expected and I am just trying to pass on my opinion to those who are too worried to go because they think it could feel like a brass house. (which it most certainly will not.)

Edited by wildpikey
  • Like 1

25 entries so far and only one specific mention of the food (OP) or drink (90baht large beer), I find.

So - what food is good? Has anyone on our expert panel regarding Restaurant #1 Bar (previously # 1 Bar) dishes to suggest. Or at least - how's their Vodka Miracle - powerful enough?

I wonder when the regular price hikes and piss poor excuses for not having beers readily available in every other bar in Chiang Mai will begin.

Last time I was in No.1 in town they "apparently" still couldn't get large bottles of Singha due to BKK floods. <deleted> ?????

They could, however, supply smaller bottles and around 2/3 of the price and around half the quantity.

I don't mind a genuine reason for not stocking a local beer that everyone else has but that along with the attitude of a couple of the staff (only a couple to be fair) means my money will be spent elsewhere.

Good luck to Joy & Fred and I'm sure they will do well.

Thank you WTK for the web site for the new No.1 Bar venue.It looks good but why do they only serve Thai food? Many of us ex-pats are married to Thai ladies and we can eat very good Thai food at home.The Dukes opened a beautiful new restaurant that does only serves Thai and Japanese food.Would it be nice if both of these new restaurants had something for the farang as well.Surely No1 bar and the Dukes could offer something from their original places to accommodate the us?

Dukes, or River Market as the new place is called does have wonderful steaks and Chicken as well as other offerings and things my Thai wife can eat too. Thay also have been know to bring things from across the river if you wanted something from Dukes, just ask.. Also look up on the wall for daily specails. Most are not Thai

The first number 1 is a unmaintained run down dump. And so they want to make a new one.

Over a year in the making. Sit outside by the busy street and noise and park next to the river.

Seem to me they have a few things backwards.

the location does seem 'eccentric' as I hardly see anyone all that river road

BTW nothing against No.1 and drink there occasionally :)

Well I dunno, you seem very pro and defensive. tongue.png

now... now... w00t.gif I was only saying that yuo 'seemed' to be suggesting that No.1 girls are not 'working' besides serving beverages - sorry if I misunderstood you (and there is nothing wrong with it BTW)

• Like 1

I wonder when the regular price hikes and piss poor excuses for not having beers readily available in every other bar in Chiang Mai will begin.

Last time I was in No.1 in town they "apparently" still couldn't get large bottles of Singha due to BKK floods. <deleted> ?????

They could, however, supply smaller bottles and around 2/3 of the price and around half the quantity.

At the risk of sounding defensive, (^ :) kidding) when I was there the last time (new location) and I ordered a Leo beer, they asked if I'd like a big of a small one. I normally don't drink big bottles (just too much) but I think it does show that there is no business game going on. (I'm not doubting the old location ran out of big Singha's of course, and I'm also not doubting that a silly reason was given)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

25 entries so far and only one specific mention of the food (OP) or drink (90baht large beer), I find.

So - what food is good? Has anyone on our expert panel regarding Restaurant #1 Bar (previously # 1 Bar) dishes to suggest. Or at least - how's their Vodka Miracle - powerful enough?

I never had any substantial food there so I can't truly comment, but I do know that the chips (fries) are really good, as are those Belgian meat croquette ball things. (Either as balls or as the longer version served on a bun) This of course is of a bar snack than an actual dish, of course.

• Like 1

I see the ploy here. They are trying to change the perception of the word Bar in Chiang Mai to mean drinking and eating establishment and get rid of the girly element usually associated with bars in Thailand and give it an air of respectability.

A very clever strategy, a sort of, if you can’t beat em, than join them compromise to pacify the puritan policies of those who make the rules. So I doubt that there will be any poo ying dishes on the menu.

I think this will work and I congratulate the owners on this new enterprise and wish them all success.

I will bring the trouble and strife and check it out next week.

• Like 1

They are from Khon Kaen if you like that look. Personally I don't find that (and the Ubon Rachathani look) very appealing. But to each their own.

I agree, it's a horrible look. Makes you wonder why folks from Khon Kaen or Kalasin don't all wear paper bags over their head.

(BTW, for anyone else, no need to rush to either location, she left a long time ago.)

Edited by onthedarkside
photo removed
  • Like 1

At the risk of sounding defensive, (^ smile.png kidding) when I was there the last time (new location) and I ordered a Leo beer, they asked if I'd like a big of a small one. I normally don't drink big bottles (just too much) but I think it does show that there is no business game going on. (I'm not doubting the old location ran out of big Singha's of course, and I'm also not doubting that a silly reason was given)

They never ran out of large Leo's to be fair lol but I find the taste of Leo a little sweet for my liking.

I don't think it was a case of running out as the occasion I mentioned was quite recent I do however think it was purely a case of not ordering / buying any as they have a larger profit option on the smaller bottles.

I wouldn't mind this so much if they just simply had taken the large ones off the list to avoid confusion. It was more the lame ass excuse they've been using since December that annoyed me more than anything, especially as I'd been to Makro and bought a case of large Singha's that morning.

Never mind, there's plenty more places to drink in town.

As a side note regarding the food, I had a few different dishes when i used to go to No.1 and can't say any of them were particularly good. Nothing bad about them either just average food to be matched or bettered in many other places.

They are from Khon Kaen if you like that look. Personally I don't find that (and the Ubon Rachathani look) very appealing. But to each their own.

I agree, it's a horrible look. Makes you wonder why folks from Khon Kaen or Kalasin don't all wear paper bags over their head.

(BTW, for anyone else, no need to rush to either location, she left a long time ago.)

I can drop onto facebook and ask her where she is and what she's up to if anyone needs though lol

Like I said, to each their own.

I could have guessed. Last time I was there, her grandmother had taken over.

Chiang Mai is good if you enjoy nice food folks, but as for poo ying, go South young man.

• Like 2

I can drop onto facebook and ask her where she is and what she's up to if anyone needs though lol

Easy Soi 2 off the moat next door to Happy Bar and opposite the tiny bar :)

DK

I could have guessed. Last time I was there, her grandmother had taken over.

laugh.png