New Number 1 Bar

smokie36

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went there on Sunday evening and was pleasantly surprised. (Surprised is not really the word, because Joy and Fred have already proven that they know the business.)

Food was great, ambiance great and prices very affordable.

Definitely would recommend the place.

Stig

• Like 1

Thank you WTK for the web site for the new No.1 Bar venue.It looks good but why do they only serve Thai food? Many of us ex-pats are married to Thai ladies and we can eat very good Thai food at home.The Dukes opened a beautiful new restaurant that does only serves Thai and Japanese food.Would it be nice if both of these new restaurants had something for the farang as well.Surely No1 bar and the Dukes could offer something from their original places to accommodate the us?

Thank you WTK for the web site for the new No.1 Bar venue.It looks good but why do they only serve Thai food? Many of us ex-pats are married to Thai ladies and we can eat very good Thai food at home.The Dukes opened a beautiful new restaurant that does only serves Thai and Japanese food.Would it be nice if both of these new restaurants had something for the farang as well.Surely No1 bar and the Dukes could offer something from their original places to accommodate the us?

They do it is called Thai food. If you want farang food then you go to other restaurants that do cater for farangs . There are many in tourist areas.

Edited by ripstanley
  • Like 1

Heh, this is actually a huge thing; as its only a soft-opening so far they carried over the menu from the other place, which is Dutch-Belgian snack food (croquettes, sausages, chips, burgers and so on and some standard general Western stuff), along with popular Thai dishes. I understand the goal is to have a more substantial Western food menu. Another thing is that current kitchen staff is very proficient in Thai food, but that Western food will need work.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Does the new place have hookers and bar fines? Or is this a more legit sort of place?

If they have a load of new girls it might be worth a look.

I have a feeling (but don't know for sure) that they will try and go for the Thai Market as well, which would mean having actually pretty waitresses/beer girls. Needless to say, that would be epic.

• Like 1

Does the new place have hookers and bar fines? Or is this a more legit sort of place?

I have a feeling (but don't know for sure) that they will try and go for the Thai Market as well, which would mean having actually pretty waitresses/beer girls. Needless to say, that would be epic.

It would if it were all at Thai prices, but I suspect that won't be the case.

Oh dear I think you have missed my point or I did not explain myself very well.My Thai wife and I love going to restaurants with our friends.50% farang and 50% Thai.All I am saying is that it would be nice to have a choice of something other than Thai food. Yes I am in Thailand and eat Thai food every day.It is nice to go out with my wife and friends and have a choice.

Oh dear I think you have missed my point or I did not explain myself very well.My Thai wife and I love going to restaurants with our friends.50% farang and 50% Thai.All I am saying is that it would be nice to have a choice of something other than Thai food. Yes I am in Thailand and eat Thai food every day.It is nice to go out with my wife and friends and have a choice.

The place has a different feel to the other place in town. Much more chilled out (as advertised) 90 baht for a large Leo which is not bad at all.

I saw a big hamburger getting served so they are doing western food, I am not sure how much yet.

Two "american style" pool tables, (the ones that I can actually pot a ball on !)

Waitresses are waitresses and not pushy. It seems to be aimed at (and is attracting) couples, families and also Thai's, there were a fair few there when I was there.

A good place, but not really for the single guy. If thats what you are you would be better off sticking to the obvious places.

I would like to add my recommendation for the New Number 1 Bar, it's certainly not aimed at the mongers of the world, and it has a classy relaxed feel about it. I recognized a couple of the waitresses from the original bar, and I've always found the service in the original bar to be friendly and professional. To one extent it was possibly a mistake to call it The New Number 1 Bar as it's certainly pitched at a totally different clientele and may do nothing but cause confusion.

It's a little bit out of the centre and we had to phone a tuk tuk to come get us, so it's better to have transportation of your own. However, that being said, well worth the journey wai.gif

• Like 1

Ah, I see they have Canadian Club there as well. Will be nice having a regular spot to frequent out of town as opposed to fighting all the traffic getting into the city. I'll give it a go as soon as I can get my butt back up there.

In reply to

nicksal37

I have been to the River Market yesterday and they do serve "farang" food ......

DUKE menu and River Market menu are given to you at the table before you order

I guess they bring the food in from Duke across the river !

By the way,,,,Thai and Japanese food were good.

Why wouldn't it be at Thai prices; we're in Thailand? Compare for example with Tha Nam restaurant just up the road from Number 1; that's about as Thai as you can possibly get, and is about the same price, if not more.

Note to all: The phrase "Thai prices" doesn't actually indicate a specific price level. You have low-end, mid range and high-end in Thailand, regardless of the apparent target nationality. Number 1 I'd call mid range, just like almost any other pub/restaurant you'd care to mention. (Good View, Tha Nam, etc.) Then there are a small number of high-end places, and a billion low-end ones. EIther way, 'Thai prices' isn't a thing.

• Like 1

Why wouldn't it be at Thai prices; we're in Thailand? Compare for example with Tha Nam restaurant just up the road from Number 1; that's about as Thai as you can possibly get, and is about the same price, if not more.

Note to all: The phrase "Thai prices" doesn't actually indicate a specific price level. You have low-end, mid range and high-end in Thailand, regardless of the apparent target nationality. Number 1 I'd call mid range, just like almost any other pub/restaurant you'd care to mention. (Good View, Tha Nam, etc.) Then there are a small number of high-end places, and a billion low-end ones. EIther way, 'Thai prices' isn't a thing.

Well said....

I think he was referring to the girls......

I think he was referring to the girls......

I think you're right. biggrin.png

but are they on the menu?

It was mentioned by someone that he recognized some of the girls from the old place, so I guess yes. tongue.png

There is no shortage of places in Chaing Mai were girls are on the menu but those aren't good places to take Thai woman who have never been in the game. Is the new No. 1 the type of place that you could take a mid-so Thai woman who is put-off by the whole hooker & sexpat scene?

Edited by OriginalPoster
  • Like 1

There is no shortage of places in Chaing Mai were girls are on the menu but those aren't good places to take Thai woman who have never been in the game. Is the new No. 1 the type of place that you could take a mid-so Thai woman who is put-off by the whole hooker & sexpat scene?

+1

Yes.

Yes.

And I read -some of the waitresses are coming from the old Nr I ???

Yes.

And I read -some of the waitresses are coming from the old Nr I ???

yes so that negates the other post? girls from number 1 are 'available'