Chalerm: Nothing Wrong With Priewpan Visiting Thaksin

webfact

POLITICS

Nothing wrong with Priewpan visiting Thaksin: Chalerm

THE NATION

30187003-01_big.jpg

Priewpan

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung yesterday defended the national police chief's visit to Hong Kong to meet fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Pol Gen Priewpan Damapong reportedly made a one-day trip to Hong Kong on Tuesday to wish his former brother-in-law a happy birthday.

Chalerm said the police chief had done nothing wrong and that he would not penalise Priewpan for not arresting Thaksin because Thai laws cannot be enforced in foreign countries.

"I think it was appropriate [for Priewpan]," Chalerm said. "Besides, he has no jurisdiction to arrest anyone outside Thailand."

Priewpan had permission for a leave of absence to travel to Hong Kong, Chalerm said.

"Instead of punishing him, I intend to ask what he and Thaksin talked about," he said, alluding to speculation that Thaksin's ex-wife Khunying Pojaman na Pombejara is pushing for her brother Priewpan to join the Cabinet following his retirement in September.

In fact, Chalerm said he doubted that Priewpan actually met with Thaksin, alluding to his own trip to Hong Kong last week, during which he insists he did not meet Thaksin.

In a related development, Priewpan's designated successor General Adul Sangsingkaew dismissed speculation that he too had met Thakisn.

"I did not go to Hong Kong," Adul said, speaking at Government House on the sidelines of a meeting on drug suppression chaired by Chalerm.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-26

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong? This is getting funnier by the moment. I'm sitting here trying to come up with some kind of analogy to this, and I'm coming up blank. The police chief should be fired for sure.

The guy is wanted in Thailand, and the police chief flies to go say happy birthday? Sure this is a notthenation article. It has to be.

• Like 1

An police offer not arresting a known fugitives is itself commit a crime, and deserves jail sentence.

Didn't the government (not just this one, but Mark's govt as well) always claim that they could not arrest Thaksin because Interpol could not locate Thaksin?

Rule of law in Thailand? Ha. All is subjective. Thais are governed by sentiments relating to:

gaining face, and ritual and superstition, fake smiles, money and more rituals.

and very little to do with a personal moral compass, telling the truth, maturity.

• Like 2

An police offer not arresting a known fugitives is itself commit a crime, and deserves jail sentence.

Didn't the government (not just this one, but Mark's govt as well) always claim that they could not arrest Thaksin because Interpol could not locate Thaksin?

What Interpol warrant? As far as I know there isn't one.

Technically speaking, it was not wrong of Priewpan to visit Thaksin in HK, because 1) he had taken leave of duty, 2) Thai arrest warrants cannot be executed abroad, and 3) no Thai official would be allowed to make an arrest without the consent of the respective government.

On ethical and moral grounds, however, it was extremely wrong and is just one more example (in an already very long list) that goes to show that the words "ethics" and "morals" do not exist in the vocabularies of the very same people who govern us and hold top state positions; the very same people who expect from us that WE uphold the principles of ethics and morals at all times; the very same people who drag us before courts if we don't; the very same people who should be role models, but are consistently not.

The right thing for Priewpan to do would have been to politely decline Thaksin's invitation, explaining to him that since he held the highest police job in the country and because Thaksin was a criminal on the run with an outstanding arrest warrant on his back, it would be wrong of him to attend the birthday bash. I am sure Thaksin would have fully understood Priewpan's dilemma and accepted the rejection - NOT.

Exactly. I suspect if he didn't go, you'd see him somewhere on Sukhumvit with a whistle directing traffic.

"Thaksin had been given an Interpol “red notice”, which is recognised in a number of countries and serves as the legal basis for provisional arrest"

http://www.intellasia.net/thai-ministry-to-seek-interpol-help-for-thaksins-arrest-96931

"Thaksin had been given an Interpol “red notice”, which is recognised in a number of countries and serves as the legal basis for provisional arrest"

http://www.intellasi...ns-arrest-96931

LOL!! That is more than 3 years old. There is no red notice for Thaksin.

Here's something a little more recent.

""Interpol never issues red notice against Thaksin

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255408160002

• Like 1

How inappropiate and hightly unethical for Khun Priewapan to visit the known criminal Thaksin...without handcuffing him and bring him

back to serve his time in prison.

In most countries Priewpan would have been Fired on the Spot upon his return.

As a policeman is an officer of the court.

Obstruction of Justice is a crime that both undermines the government he has sworn to protect. By all rights, Priewpan should be arrested

and thrown in Jail. No Bail.

What a Sham

Thailand doesn't need any help from outside sources to insult its reputation as a country, they are doing an absolute splendid job

all by themselves...

• Like 2

In fact, Chalerm said he doubted that Priewpan actually met with Thaksin, alluding to his own trip to Hong Kong last week, during which he insists he did not meet Thaksin.

There was nothing wrong with Priewpan meeting with Thaksin because ......well....he probably didn't meet him.....me either...honest.....trust me, I wouldn't lie. What a disgrace.

The worst part? The police chief still has his job this morning. If anyone still needed evidence of the subversion of the legal system, this is it.

Why not he is Thaksins staff. The brother of Thaksins wife. His job is what his boss tells him to do.

So he keep his job.

How could you expect Chalerm to understand the ethics of the situation?

"He has all the qualities of a dog except loyalty". Paul Keating

Not quite. He certainly has loyalty to Thaksin & more like the qualities of a dingo.