Thailand Education Removes English Requirement

mowgus

One of my Thai friends in university was quite angry about the fact that the Thai government has decided to no longer support English as the official second language. She has heard that some of her English classes will be cut.

This comes as a surprise to me as I thought English proficiency was some sort of requirement of ASEAN members. Then again, I wouldn't put it past the Thai governments narrow mindedness to do such a thing. Has anyone heard about this? One would also assume that this would affect the job situation for expat English teachers.

There is supposedly an article about this but it is in Thai and I can't read Thai. I have yet to find anything in English on the subject: http://news.mthai.com/general-news/91420.html

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I previously worked at a University in Bangkok, the 3rd and 4th year English classes were removed from the curriculum, as they were deemed unnecessary. Just 1st and 2nd years had English classes, I found it hard but TIT.

Mandarin, Malay etc would be more useful than English I would think.

What are you on? "Malay"!!! Even in Malaysia they are trying to make it compulsory to teach Maths ans Science in English! Most companies in Malaysia operate in English. Even China is trying to promote English among their graduates.

Drop English and dig that hole deeper, Thailand used to have a stronger draw. That has slowly been reducing due to the political situation ( from the airport closure to the red riots), the increase of violence and crime against foreigners, neighboring countries opening their doors and starting to be more attractive and cheaper.

All I can say is keep living in that cocoon and keep believing that you do not need English. Let's see how far that takes you.

Considering the free flow of labour in 2015, if Thais wish to work in any of these countries, the native language would put them in better steed than English. Yes in some industries English would be an advantage but the local language would be better, or are you assuming that everyone within ASEAN speaks English...I really cant connect airport closures and political riots with learning English, its irrelevant to these situations.

Edited by PattayaPhom

What are you on? "Malay"!!! Even in Malaysia they are trying to make it compulsory to teach Maths ans Science in English! Most companies in Malaysia operate in English. Even China is trying to promote English among their graduates.

Drop English and dig that hole deeper, Thailand used to have a stronger draw. That has slowly been reducing due to the political situation ( from the airport closure to the red riots), the increase of violence and crime against foreigners, neighboring countries opening their doors and starting to be more attractive and cheaper.

All I can say is keep living in that cocoon and keep believing that you do not need English. Let's see how far that takes you.

Considering the free flow of labour in 2015, if Thais wish to work in any of these countries, the native language would put them in better steed than English. Yes in some industries English would be an advantage but the local language would be better, or are you assuming that everyone within ASEAN speaks English...I really cant connect airport closures and political riots with learning English, its irrelevant to these situations.

2015, you speak of AFTA. Mandarin is not a first language in any of the ASEAN countries. AFTA is only for ASEAN countries not ASIA. Private sectors in Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore and Phillipines use English as their primary language. If you wish to work here you need English, period. I have worked in Malaysia, Singapore, Phillipines, Thailand and have been to Brunei. So my statement is based on first hand experience.

The political scenario has slowed down foreign investment and a large number of high spending tourist. To drop English in Thailand will only compound the issue. Geez, I did not think I had to spell it out.

Maybe cutting English lessons at your average Thai government school is not such a bad thing. The standard of teaching is generally very poor (that isn't a dig at TEFL teachers, it is directed at Thai teachers).

The average Thai doesn't need English language skills, and maybe more time and resources can be directed towards things in the curriculum that they do need, such as literacy in the Thai language and numeracy.

Personally I agree that it seems a little short-sighted, but maybe there is some method in their madness.

Really dumb. A few months ago in the Bangkok Post (Maybe Nation too) there was a large article about one of the neighboring countries needed Thai skilled labors to fill thousands and thousands of jobs paying very good money. The only problem was a requirement that the Thai employee had to be able to speak and communicate in English, so they could not fill the jobs with Thais, but had to go elsewhere. Amazing thinking. English, like it or not, is still the universal language used in business and many of the technical, high tech, medical, and scientific fields.

Edited by Lifer
  • Like 1

2015, you speak of AFTA. Mandarin is not a first language in any of the ASEAN countries. AFTA is only for ASEAN countries not ASIA. Private sectors in Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore and Phillipines use English as their primary language. If you wish to work here you need English, period. I have worked in Malaysia, Singapore, Phillipines, Thailand and have been to Brunei. So my statement is based on first hand experience.

The political scenario has slowed down foreign investment and a large number of high spending tourist. To drop English in Thailand will only compound the issue. Geez, I did not think I had to spell it out.

Well, my visits to Singapore and Malaysia showed a different side....locals communicated in their own dialect not English...maybe when you worked there, they communicated to you in Engish, simply because that is your language. Surely working in Singapore you must know Mandarine and Malay are official languages regonised by the government, Malay is the official language of Malaysia and Chineese is commonly used, Malay is also the official language of Brunei, so it does make sense when you look outside of the box.

After living in thailand for 5 years I've noticed all Thais use English in general conversation. There isn't even a Thai word for apple.

It should be the second language and should be mandatory in every school from at least age 3.

Edited by mrbiggwigg
  • Like 1

and the year after they are removing Univeristies and colleges

After all, why would the government want educated citizens?

Educated people would soon realize how they have been screwed

time after time and they would revolt

Hell why not just close down the entire education system and change

the country name to Banana Republica

• Like 2

I've spent 45 years working around Asia and I've found that as an English speaker you can always get a job somewhere doing something! Try that just being a Lao or Thai speaker? English is the practical second language through out Asia. To believe that some other language is better is in error IMHO.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

It's a lot better,that they educate Chinese as second language.

There are coming a lot more Chinese tourist to Thailand then English.

But the educated Chinese are learing English.

And the preferred language of communication among all foreign tourists from Asia is English. Source: Thai tour guide friends.

This news is about 2 years old. Why's your friend suddenly getting worked up now?

The story that the gov't would support English as a second language is two years old. They are just now cancelling it and, in turn, cancelling some English classes at the University.

Born and raised in the USA. We had to start taking foreign language classes in Junior High School. Basically amounted to 3 years of either French or Spanish or Italian as I recall. I chose French. In High School I continued with French for one more year as an elective. In College I even took a French elective. My parents being Greek, I also spoke some greek from my childhood. While I did get a little bit OK in French to the point I could crudely read and translate OK, I really never got close to conversing much. It just did not come naturally. I have since learned a fair amount of crude broken conversational Thai. Found that a combination of studying and listening then being forced to use it when in Thailand (kind of the immersion) approach, got me to learn it better. And I WANTED to learn it. can be hard to learn another language unless one uses it often and in daily life. Just sitting down and rote learning the alphabet is necessary, but really need to spend time using it, speaking with friends, every day events and items etc. Basically, only the interested and motivated student is going to pick up much of the foreign language.

It would make sense if English was replaced by Chinese BUT

1- this is not mentioned, so does it mean "our language is sufficient to communicate with the world" or "Thais do not need to communicate with the rest of the world"?

2- my daughters study Chinese since 7 and 8 years => they know NOTHING. It's far better in English, just due to motivation. At the end it's more or less the same: if no motivation, they can study English for 10 years without any result.