Writing, Travelling And How To Live Off Of It.

persianpower

Writing, travelling and how to live off of it.

How many people here are currently travel writing as a way to make income while travelling? Have you found this to be relatively easy work to find (in Asia, in particular)? If so, how did you go about landing a job?

I, personally have a Journalism background and have worked in both freelance/newsroom set-ups and for a magazine (as a writer/editor). I'm currently teaching English in Asia.

My question is, what are my chances of finding p/t travel writing work via the net?

p.s.

I'd also be interested in hearing from people who have discovered other writing-related ways of generating income (via the net) during their travels.

If you have a journalism background then you should have a good editorial contact list. Get in touch with editors in the west and present some story ideas. Travel writing is a difficult art as it is also consistent to trends. Travel destinations are a product like everything in the world now and some destinations are hotter than others.

Research the net and find out where the hot destinations are in 2006. It also helps if you can take good photographs to sell as a package with your words.

You may also think about travel web content writing but need to know a destination fairly well as it is similar to guide book writing. Some destinations are also growing in the foreign investment arena and Asia- based property/ lifestyle magazines are now in need of good writers.

Payment depends on the publication. Some pay well others quite poorly. Many hard copy publications pay 30 days after publication so you may be waiting for payment several months after submission.

There are English- language newspapers and publishing houses in major Asian cities. Contact them about sub-editing/ writing work.

I have also seen the occasional post here on TV looking for writers in BKK. Do a search on recent posts.

For other info, check out: www.travelwriters.com

Good luck!!! :o

PM me if you'd like a chat about this as I've been writing in Asia for several years now.

Hello,

I have traveled most of the world and fly at least 100,000 miles a year. This traveling has made me learn how to travel cheap, as a consequence of this I wrote over a one year period a book on HOW TO. It covers air, hotel and car hire. I pay for all travel cost and it is for leisure not business.

The book is ready for editing and clean up, and I would have to update parts of it since it has been over a year since I have looked at it.

If you are interested in finishing the book and getting it published as joint venture, contact me. I wrote the book to be sold over the internet as many, many links are included.

Just an example of savings. On Monday I fly from CMB-BKK-NRT-HNL-SFO-LAX-HNL-NRT-BKK-CMB: OK That’s Colombo Sri lanka, Bangkok, Tokyo, Honolulu, San Francisco, Los Angles and return.

This Flight is all in Business and first Class, I can stop at anyone or all of the cities listed, I will earn over 80,000 air miles for the trip and my total cost is $1,750 US, now an economy ticket from BKK to lax NO stops anywhere, no Hawaii is about $1,200 US and on that flight I would only earn 34,000 miles including bonuses.

Let me know if you're interested.

Bob

//email removed - lopburi3//

YEah, but he did not tell you the names of the airlines...like 'colombo on a wing and a prayer airlines' and first class is right up there in front next to the pilot lol.

Well, I had this very idea when I was a young buck. Then I discovered Los and my life changed.

I paid for and enrolled in a correspondence travel journalism diploma course. this was back in 1997, I still have not started it.

What got me started was reading about a guy who was sailing around the south pacific and writing all about it. He had something like 3000 subscribers all paying $30'$40 or whatever a year for his journal and adventures sent out every couple of months. He videoed and wrote about his travels everywhere, I think then he copied it all to disk and sent them out.

So here was this guy sailing around pacific islands year after year and earning $100k plus for the privilige of it, what a life.

I went and priced a movie quality cid camera and a yacht immediately lol.

Anyway, have always thought about still doing it during any trips I take anywhere, more as a hobby than a living these days. But then I get to lazy and say bugger it. My engrish aint that crash hot anyway.